Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Does your swim coach....

  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    96

    Does your swim coach....

    ...swim at all for themself?

    Obviously a question for those who have coaches.

    Odd question maybe, but Iím genuinely curious.

  2. #2
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Dover, DE
    Posts
    101

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    My local YMCA has three different coaches that coach Masters and two additional coaches who teach a once a year triathlon swim class. Of the five, all but one swim regularly. One of them actually doesn't coach much since he is swimming the workout with us. I don't know all the age group coaches since many of them are working at times that the pool is closed to adults. Two of them swim with masters though.

  3. #3
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Posts
    295

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    I swim every day - 4500-5500 yards. Except for when I coached college, I was swimming as much as the kids I was coaching (and much of the time faster as well).

    None of my coaches were swimmers. Best coach I know was a wrestler. He could relate to the swimmers like no other coach I have known. He was an even better diving coach. So, being a swimmer does not necessarily mean the coach will know what they are doing. Many coaches simply coach the way they were coached.

    PW

  4. #4
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    73
    Blog Entries
    50

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    My masters coach joins us in the water when it's not too crowded. But he skips a few sets, to make sure he is available when the fast lanes are done or to give individual comments.

  5. #5
    Very Active Member gobears's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    825

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    Our team has 5 coaches - 4 who swim regularly and 1 who didn't swim that much as a kid and doesn't swim now. He coaches for the USAS team and is one of the best coaches out there. He has really creative and outside the box thinking. I regularly swim his practices and incorporate his ideas into my workouts when I coach. I love swimming other coaches' practices to keep my own coaching fresh with different ideas.

  6. #6
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    96

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    Well, that's interesting... seems that the majority of coaches still seem to enjoy swimming themselves, and that being a good coach doesn't necessarily require having much of a swim background.

    I've been considering it for a while. No competitive experience here, do not swim all that fast myself, and I was like, 'if this is what coaching is, then I can coach this class'. When I really thought about it though, yikes! For various reasons, most significantly that I like to swim for myself and there's nothing like turning a hobby into a job, and I don't want to work another job.

    I'd rather volunteer, but I don't think volunteers are allowed at my facility because of insurance purposes. Anyways it's good to hear that coaching doesn't drain all the joy out of being in the water yourself.

  7. #7
    Very Active Member ForceDJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, RI
    Posts
    389

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    The Masters coaches at my pool all swim for themselves. But seperately...not during the Masters' workout. On of them is the holder of several age-group world records.

    I've always believed that the best coaches were 'average' athletes. But in fact...a good coach doesn't necessarily need to have played the game he/she is coaching. Roger Bannister's coach, Franz Stampfl, was not a runner. He threw the javelin, and was a skier. Bill Belichick played football only briefly in h.s. But, lacrosse was his favorite sport.

    Dan

  8. #8
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    96

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    Quote Originally Posted by Windrath View Post
    I swim every day - 4500-5500 yards. Except for when I coached college, I was swimming as much as the kids I was coaching (and much of the time faster as well).

    None of my coaches were swimmers. Best coach I know was a wrestler. He could relate to the swimmers like no other coach I have known. He was an even better diving coach. So, being a swimmer does not necessarily mean the coach will know what they are doing. Many coaches simply coach the way they were coached.

    PW
    4400 yards everyday?? Wow what do you eat after a workout like that... anything over 2500 yards and my appetite is out of control. I actually gain weight when I swim that much.


    oh I just realized this might be off topic for the post
    Last edited by arrieros; February 1st, 2018 at 04:46 PM.

  9. #9
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Posts
    295

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    Arrieros -

    Yeah, off topic, so what...

    Contrary to all the stuff you read about eating & drinking before and after practices, I don't follow any of that. The only time I used a water bottle was during my first 10K swim. After that, if I needed water, I just drink what I am swimming in. Learned that from a good open water swimmer in Minnesota, Roger Bosveld. Faster. Have never had a bottle in practice either. I am generally never thirsty after practice and don't drink anything before practice either. if I do, I have to pee too often.

    As for food, nothing more than a small bowl of granola w/ milk - maybe 500 calories all told in energy content. I might have a cup of yogurt a couple of hours before I swim.

    No one is gonna like me saying this, but most masters athletes are not burning anywhere near the calories they think they are. Most are probably burning 200-250 calories per hour max. To burn the kind of calories the olympians report, you have to be running your heart rate in the 165-180 range for the better part of 2 hours in each practice where they are covering 16-20,000 yards/day.

    I know I will get push back from individuals who are pushing that hard - my comment is NOT about what you are doing. NOR am I slamming the rest of us who are swimming easier. I am just saying that swimming with your heart rate in the 100-120 range is not going to burn alot of calories.

    For the heck of it, you might want to estimate how many calories you consume after a practice to see if it is balanced against how much you burned.

    Let the outcry begin!

    PW

  10. #10
    Very Active Member ForceDJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, RI
    Posts
    389

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    Quote Originally Posted by Windrath View Post
    ...if I needed water, I just drink what I am swimming in.
    Sometime I do too. But not on purpose.

    How's that workout in salt water?

    Dan

  11. #11
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Posts
    295

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    Dan,

    I have a trouble swimming long distances in salt water - my throat gets very raw. So, although I am not trying to sip the water, I obviously do ingest more than I should. So, to amend my post, drinking the water only applies to fresh water.

  12. #12
    Very Active Member __steve__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    s c
    Posts
    2,478
    Blog Entries
    742

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    Quote Originally Posted by Windrath View Post
    Dan,

    I have a trouble swimming long distances in salt water - my throat gets very raw. So, although I am not trying to sip the water, I obviously do ingest more than I should. So, to amend my post, drinking the water only applies to fresh water.
    Sea water is not unlike gatorade, with phytoplankton boost in nutrients.

  13. #13
    Very Active Member JPEnge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    163
    Blog Entries
    222

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    Sea water is not unlike gatorade, with phytoplankton boost in nutrients.
    It's got electrolytes... they're what plants crave.
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

  14. #14
    Very Active Member knelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,064
    Blog Entries
    567

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    Quote Originally Posted by Windrath View Post
    I am just saying that swimming with your heart rate in the 100-120 range is not going to burn alot of calories.
    I'm guessing most swimmers training seriously are getting their heart rate well above that range!

  15. #15
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    96

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    How about drinking salt water from an indoor pool? Any benefit to drinking pool water?

  16. #16
    Very Active Member knelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,064
    Blog Entries
    567

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    Quote Originally Posted by arrieros View Post
    How about drinking salt water from an indoor pool? Any benefit to drinking pool water?
    Go for it and report back to us on your results.

  17. #17
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    96

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    Go for it and report back to us on your results.
    Hmmm, well I do it all the time, inadvertently. Small sips. I would say itís not terribly thirst-quenching.

  18. #18
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    770
    Blog Entries
    167

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    Quote Originally Posted by Windrath View Post
    No one is gonna like me saying this, but most masters athletes are not burning anywhere near the calories they think they are. Most are probably burning 200-250 calories per hour max. To burn the kind of calories the olympians report, you have to be running your heart rate in the 165-180 range for the better part of 2 hours in each practice where they are covering 16-20,000 yards/day.
    I've wondered about this quite a bit recently. The workout computer on the stationary bike at the gym reports that I burn ~320 calories in half-hour session. I wonder how accurate this is. (Multiple bikes produce similar results.) That would translate to well over 600 calories per hour, which is a lot if the chart on the wall that compares the calorie consumption rate of various activities can be believed. It "feel like" I work harder than that in most pool workouts, but a calorie consumption rate >600/hour doesn't sound believable. Of course I do take set breaks during a 80-90 minute swim workout so I'm not running at that rate 100% of the time, but in a 90 minute workout at least some days I would be running hot for 75-80 minutes. Of course it has been months since I have been able to do this on account of life getting in the way... grrrrrr.

  19. #19
    Very Active Member aztimm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Round Rock, TX
    Posts
    965
    Blog Entries
    1759

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S View Post
    I've wondered about this quite a bit recently. The workout computer on the stationary bike at the gym reports that I burn ~320 calories in half-hour session. I wonder how accurate this is. (Multiple bikes produce similar results.) That would translate to well over 600 calories per hour, which is a lot if the chart on the wall that compares the calorie consumption rate of various activities can be believed. It "feel like" I work harder than that in most pool workouts, but a calorie consumption rate >600/hour doesn't sound believable. Of course I do take set breaks during a 80-90 minute swim workout so I'm not running at that rate 100% of the time, but in a 90 minute workout at least some days I would be running hot for 75-80 minutes. Of course it has been months since I have been able to do this on account of life getting in the way... grrrrrr.
    Since I've had my Apple Watch, I keep an eye on the estimated calories burned. I'm typically around 100 calories per 500-600 yards.

    I took a look at my average heart rate from my last week of workouts. It is typically 130-140. Even allowing for an error rate, that's still well over 110. Plus that's the average, so some is less/some is more.
    I mostly don't worry about heart rate when I swim after using the treadmill and/or lifting. My HR is already up high, so even an easy swim will record a HR of 150+.


    As for drinking water that you swim in...I'd be cautious if swimming in a lake. There was one o/w swim at a lake in Arizona where many people got sick and the race organizers contacted everyone and advised them to see a doctor. Giardia seems to be an increasing problem with lake water.
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

  20. #20
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    770
    Blog Entries
    167

    Re: Does your swim coach....

    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
    Since I've had my Apple Watch, I keep an eye on the estimated calories burned. I'm typically around 100 calories per 500-600 yards.
    Wow, that would be close to 800 Cal/hour since. Do you believe that?

    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
    I took a look at my average heart rate from my last week of workouts. It is typically 130-140. Even allowing for an error rate, that's still well over 110. Plus that's the average, so some is less/some is more.
    I mostly don't worry about heart rate when I swim after using the treadmill and/or lifting. My HR is already up high, so even an easy swim will record a HR of 150+.
    Agreed. 110 is low. 130-140 doing aerobic stuff and 150+ to possibly 170+ doing lactate stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hiring Swim Coach! Los Gatos Swim & Racquet Club!
    By LGSRCGroupExDirector in forum Coaching Positions Available
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 19th, 2017, 04:59 PM
  2. Hiring Swim Coach! Los Gatos Swim & Racquet Club!
    By LGSRCGroupExDirector in forum Coaches Seeking Employment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 17th, 2017, 01:16 PM
  3. Aquatics Coach / Varsity Swim Coach
    By schlickbernd in forum Coaching Positions Available
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 9th, 2015, 12:08 PM
  4. Masters Swim and Youth Swim Team Coach Wanted in Belton MO
    By Heather Agozino in forum Coaching Positions Available
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 5th, 2009, 12:32 PM
  5. Masters Swim Team Coach/Swim Lesson Coordinator
    By HHACbeck in forum Coaching Positions Available
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 7th, 2004, 01:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •