Thread: Anyone having issues with iWatch and pool swims since update

Angry Anyone having issues with iWatch and pool swims since update

Is anyone out there having issues with lap counts in pool swims after last weekends update? On Saturday everything worked properly and then Sunday (my rest day) I updated to watchOS 4.2.2 and then on Monday found out that it has decided to skip about half my laps swum. I thought I was going nuts but today it did the same thing again.
    Just curious if anyone is having the same issues before I call the Geeks at Apple and listen to them tell me that everything is working properly and I must not know how to count.

(where did I put my old Garmin?)

Blog Entries

Re: Anyone having issues with iWatch and pool swims since up

I updated my Apple Watch 2's watchOS last week (I think on Thursday). I'm currently using watchOS 4.2.2, and haven't had any major problems since. It will occasionally have a missed 25, but definitely not skipping half of a swim. Of course it doesn't count kicking.

Are you able to view the Auto Sets or Splits? Do either look remotely accurate?

Have you also updated your iPhone? I'm running iOS 11.2.5 There was also a phone update last week, not sure if it was related to the watch update.

It might be good to schedule an appointment at the Genius Bar...but I'm not sure how much they'll know about the Fitness App, and more importantly, using swimming within it.
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

The splits (number of splits) are correct, but the number of laps in each split are incorrect. Then there was the little issue today after about 80 minutes in the pool watch showed a total distance of 2229M (in a 25M pool) and then when I checked it after getting out to my car it went down to 1445M and then when it uploaded to swim.com it somehow came up with 2552M. I think for some reason some of the turns aren't counting properly. Also it is not seeing my breaststroke anymore. I am going to wear my Garmin tomorrow as well and see what's going on. I have the iWatch series 3.

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
    I updated my Apple Watch 2's watchOS last week (I think on Thursday). I'm currently using watchOS 4.2.2, and haven't had any major problems since. It will occasionally have a missed 25, but definitely not skipping half of a swim. Of course it doesn't count kicking.

Are you able to view the Auto Sets or Splits? Do either look remotely accurate?

Have you also updated your iPhone? I'm running iOS 11.2.5 There was also a phone update last week, not sure if it was related to the watch update.

It might be good to schedule an appointment at the Genius Bar...but I'm not sure how much they'll know about the Fitness App, and more importantly, using swimming within it.
    Just noticed you have update ios 11.2.5. I too have that on my iphone and it is causing havoc! - a quick google will explain more.

If its not too late I would suggest to hold fire until ios 11.3 comes out. It should not be too long as the beta version came out recently i believe.

T

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trondi View Post
    Just noticed you have update ios 11.2.5. I too have that on my iphone and it is causing havoc! - a quick google will explain more.

If its not too late I would suggest to hold fire until ios 11.3 comes out. It should not be too long as the beta version came out recently i believe.

T
    Thanks for the post. I did some Googling and it looks like I should be ok. It looks like the iPhone 5-6 are experiencing some problems, but I have a new phone.

That may be a question for @cmolnar65, which iPhone are you using with the watch, and which iOS?
    Have you been able to resolve your issue?
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

SOLVED: Believe it or not I was finally able to work my way up through Apple support and talked with someone that knew how to resolve.

- Un-pair watch from phone in watch settings (under general and watch information)
    - Repair (setup as new) and restore from the backup that was created in step one.

And everything works properly. Took about 15 minutes total. Watch must be on charger when this is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by cmolnar65 View Post
    SOLVED: Believe it or not I was finally able to work my way up through Apple support and talked with someone that knew how to resolve.

- Un-pair watch from phone in watch settings (under general and watch information)
    - Repair (setup as new) and restore from the backup that was created in step one.

And everything works properly. Took about 15 minutes total. Watch must be on charger when this is going on.
    Thanks for the solution @cmolnar65 it worked just fine for me as well!