Thread: Was this a dumb thing to do?

Blog Entries

Was this a dumb thing to do?

Just got back from two weeks in Puerto Vallarta. Didn't swim much (still with a bum shoulder). I really only swam once, and it was a very short swim.

My mum-in-law has a time share (week five, always the same unit). She got a bonus week (week four, in a different unit), so for a couple hours after vacating the first unit we just hung out under a gazebo by the water. We're sitting there and someone calls out about some whales. They were way off in the distance, but in the foreground we also noticed a fin flapping around near a line of buoys which runs parallel to the beach. I think it's intended to keep the dumb jet ski types from hitting some pretty shallow rocks.

Anyway, we watch it a bit. It disappears, then reappears, flaps lazily every now and then. The buoy line disappears, then reappears, moves around a bit. A crowd gathered to see what we sort of thought might be a whale caught in the line. A lifeguard walked out to the end of a small jetty, took a look, then left. Same with a pleasure boat near shore. At this point it's pretty clear this animal is in distress, maybe drowning. I never saw a snout break the surface.

A security guard was keeping people back from the end of the nearby jetty. I went out and asked him what he was going to do. All he cared about was keeping people back. Another staff member said it was the Federales' responsibility.

I was fed up and hopped in and swam out to the line, maybe 20 yards. The tide was in so the submerged rocks didn't cause any problems. Once I got out there I managed to get one loop of the rope off what turned out to be a manta ray. The rope was wrapped multiple times around
    his left horn (proper term?), just in front of his eye. I couldn't do more. I expect he might have thrashed around a bit when originally snagged, making his predicament worse. After a couple minutes a lifeguard with mask/fins/snorkel comes out and another guy on a kayak turns up with a large, very sharp knife. The lifeguard managed to cut the rope in a couple places to free the fish while I backed away from the action. The ray was freed, everyone clapped a bit, then went back to their beers and suntan lotion.

While it was a heat of the moment decision, I never felt like I was in any sort of danger. There were no waves or strong currents, and the ray was pretty listless when I got out to him. I certainly didn't feel like he was going to thrash around and hurt me. I saw no other fish (like sharks with teeth) around.

Was it a dumb thing to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swimosaur View Post
    Remember, you're lapping everybody who's sitting at home on the couch.

Re: Was this a dumb thing to do?

I donít know if it was a Ďsmartí thing to do - Steve Irwin - but my boyfriend would have done the exact same thing (loves all animals).

Oh I guess manta rays donít have the barb stinger... Still kind of risky to approach an animal in distress.
    Last edited by arrieros; February 11th, 2018 at 11:33 PM.

Blog Entries

Not sure if it was dumb or not but I would have done the same thing. Get a scuba knife for rec OW swimming/snorkeling, never know what rare hazard awaits

Blog Entries

I caught one while fishing in cape cod bay. my hook had snagged it in the back. After what seemed like a long time I got it to the surface and managed to get the hook out. It seemed pretty docile too - just watch out for the tail.
    Some guys they just give up living and start dying little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up and go raciní in the street. (Bruce Springsteen, 1978)

There's also the chance that YOU could have become entangled in the line and pulled under. That being said... I probably would have done the same thing too.

Dan