Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Swim Meets on Sundays

  1. #1
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    4

    Swim Meets on Sundays

    Why does USMS host swim meets on Sundays instead of Saturdays?

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2

    Re: Swim Meets on Sundays

    In Georgia many of meets span Saturday and Sunday

  3. #3
    Moderator Rob Copeland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    2,883

    Re: Swim Meets on Sundays

    Good question.

    USMS approves sanctions for events that occur on many different days. The event hosts typically choose the dates and times of the meet based on pool availability.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine and not those of U.S. Masters Swimming.

  4. #4
    Very Active Member knelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,064
    Blog Entries
    567

    Re: Swim Meets on Sundays

    I imagine the short answer is that most masters swimmers prefer to have meets on Sundays. Lots of teams have practices on Saturday, so that may be one factor. The other is that people are perhaps more likely to be otherwise free on Sunday.

  5. #5
    Very Active Member Sumorunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Latham, NY
    Posts
    299

    Re: Swim Meets on Sundays

    There is one this Sat., March 3, in Albany, NY, ADMS. The same meet was on a Sun. last year.

  6. #6
    Very Active Member Muppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: Swim Meets on Sundays

    Quote Originally Posted by jmnchng View Post
    Why does USMS host swim meets on Sundays instead of Saturdays?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Copeland View Post
    USMS approves sanctions for events that occur on many different days.
    Correction: USMS neither hosts meets nor approves sanctions. LMSCs approve sanctions made by LMSCs or clubs who are the meet hosts.

  7. #7
    Very Active Member kristilynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    213
    Blog Entries
    2171

    Re: Swim Meets on Sundays

    Locally, our masters team hosts one meet a month. These usually alternate between Saturday and Sunday. We have many swimmers in our area who do not swim Sundays, so the Saturday meets tend to get better attendance.

  8. #8
    Very Active Member orca1946's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    schaumburg, il - U S A
    Posts
    7,349

    Re: Swim Meets on Sundays

    Lots of reasons. Parents with kids attend programs for the kids on Sat.

  9. #9
    Very Active Member Sojerz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Woodbury, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    444
    Blog Entries
    470

    Re: Swim Meets on Sundays

    And, a pool has to be available to hold a meet. Many pools have lots of other Saturday stuff going on - practices, lessons, AG meets and open water time for parents and kids to swim to name a few.
    Some guys they just give up living and start dying little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up and go racin’ in the street. (Bruce Springsteen, 1978)

  10. #10
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Dover, DE
    Posts
    101

    Re: Swim Meets on Sundays

    Presumably most adults have weekday jobs and prefer weekend meets. As for Saturday verses Sunday, pool availability is probably better on Sundays. My local pool is booked solid for age group swim teams and various swimming group lessons much of Saturday. Sunday is the only day of the week they could hold a meet without cancelling lots of other programming. Masters involves much fewer people than the other programs so we are lowest priority for pool time. Last year we completely lost both masters and open lap swim time to high school swim team practice. Thankfully this year we just had to give up some of our lanes

  11. #11
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    10

    Re: Swim Meets on Sundays

    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Presumably most adults have weekday jobs and prefer weekend meets. As for Saturday verses Sunday, pool availability is probably better on Sundays. My local pool is booked solid for age group swim teams and various swimming group lessons much of Saturday. Sunday is the only day of the week they could hold a meet without cancelling lots of other programming. Masters involves much fewer people than the other programs so we are lowest priority for pool time. Last year we completely lost both masters and open lap swim time to high school swim team practice. Thankfully this year we just had to give up some of our lanes

    I could have written this word-for-word and I'm on the other side of the country.

Similar Threads

  1. Mexican swim meets
    By talne621 in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 18th, 2009, 01:15 PM
  2. Looking for swim meets in SE??
    By Nan in forum Southeastern
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 3rd, 2007, 03:08 PM
  3. Texas Swim Meets
    By Concho Pearl in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 26th, 2006, 10:38 AM
  4. Swim Meets?
    By Conniekat8 in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 10th, 2004, 02:00 PM
  5. Sanctioned swim meets
    By NKMD in forum Illinois
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 1st, 2003, 07:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •