Thread: George Newman

Very Active Member

George Newman

This is getting very sad because in the last 3 months, Michigan Masters has lost volunteers and swimmers who have been involved in the organization for over 35 years. George Newman, our first and oldest swimming Official going back to his first masters meet in 1972, passed away at the age of 87 today. He was the Head Meet Referee for the 1979 AAU Nationals that were held in Dearborn, Michigan and that was the last AAU Masters Nationals and USMS was created separately the next year in 1980. He officiated more meets in Michigan Masters history that any other person.

He received the Michigan LMSC Chetrick Award for outstanding service in 1992 and received the Michigan LMSC Lifetime Achievement Award in 2008 and I have linked a story that was done in the Michigan "Wave Eater" from 2008 about his life in swimming starting on page 3. http://www.michiganmasters.com/wp/wp...08.NEWSLTR.pdf
    Skip Thompson

Re: George Newman

George was a great volunteer and fixture at many masters meets. I even got yelled at a few times when he was the Official. Maybe I should have followed the commands, ya think? Anyway, we developed a nice friendship and he'd look me up at many meets. RIP George.

Participating Member

George ran excellent meets and always made me feel better just to see him as I entered the pool area. It might have been one old guy to another, but he always encouraged and kept things light with me. He let me experiment with some different turns that I am sure some other officials would have questioned. Like my fly flip or two armed backstroke flip. He knew the rule book and could accept innovation within its limits. A very fine man. I will miss seeing him when I return to the Michigan meets.

Very Active Member

Here is the link to George Newman's Obituary. This is also in the Sunday Detroit News today.

http://www.desmondfuneralhome.com/ob...chigan/1784595
    Skip Thompson