Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: MISSING: Link to the Discussion Forums on the new site!

Blog Entries

Re: MISSING: Link to the Discussion Forums on the new site!

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Yeah, it's nice having you around JP! You have been a great addition to the Forums. It's just that we lost a lot of the veterans that have been around here for several years. Many of them got fed up with the new website, and they left the Forums, too.

I have always kept logged in here on a separate bookmark, so I avoided some of the frustrations others had, but still... I don't have much good to say about the website roll-out.
    It's gotten easier to use as I've been exploring it, but there are definitely some things that are still lost/hidden in weird places. And I feel like there are a lot more pages that serve as nothing but middleman pages. And it still is unwieldy on mobile IMO.
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge View Post
    It's gotten easier to use as I've been exploring it, but there are definitely some things that are still lost/hidden in weird places. And I feel like there are a lot more pages that serve as nothing but middleman pages. And it still is unwieldy on mobile IMO.

I would love to look at the long lineage of my results divided by year, course, and stroke. Right now, I get a nonsense list with overwrites which keep me from reading the date. There is no more big picture by age group. I would really like to have this feature back!

I have been patient for months, but I’m starting to get annoyed. I wish I had recorded all of these times in a log before USMS decided to make them unavailable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swoomer View Post
    I have been patient for months, but I’m starting to get annoyed. I wish I had recorded all of these times in a log before USMS decided to make them unavailable.
    I am equally irritated. I am thankful I did keep all my results in Excel.

It seems odd that USMS is de-emphasizing both competition (e.g., by making results hard to find/read/track, by making competitions harder to find) and the non-competitive swimmer (e.g., by relegating the Forums to the 'dark web' side of the site). While I remain competitive, I have always found that the Forums were the one true value proposition that USMS had, from a National Office standpoint, for the member who wasn't competitive.

I am not sure who the website serves anymore?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swoomer View Post
    I would love to look at the long lineage of my results divided by year, course, and stroke. Right now, I get a nonsense list with overwrites which keep me from reading the date. There is no more big picture by age group. I would really like to have this feature back!

That's why I get on mobile, I still get the same old big list on a standard browser though.
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge View Post
    That's why I get on mobile, I still get the same old big list on a standard browser though.
    Yes, I can access my results on my laptop just fine, but on my phone, it is still a mess. It has been over 3 months and it is still not fixed.I thought part of the idea of this was to make it more mobile friendly. Is anyone still working on this, or have they given up/don't care. I would really like a reply from someone in authority at USMS that they are taking the website problems seriously. An actual apology would be nice too.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    Yes, I can access my results on my laptop just fine, but on my phone, it is still a mess. It has been over 3 months and it is still not fixed.I thought part of the idea of this was to make it more mobile friendly. Is anyone still working on this, or have they given up/don't care. I would really like a reply from someone in authority at USMS that they are taking the website problems seriously. An actual apology would be nice too.
    Yeah, I think it is a compatibility thing. It looks like they tried to shoehorn in a style for the main pages that would work OK for both mobile and desktop. You can see where some of the back pages are still in the old style format (the results pages, for instance), and it looks like they tried to do whatever page/word wrapping to mobile screens that they did on the reformatted pages, and that's why things are bunching up on top of each other.

JPEnge has an accurate observation about the challenge of making data tables mobile responsive. On the former web platform we did some ‘shoehorning’ to limit the amount of pinching, zooming and scrolling that was needed to view results. When we moved
    to a fully responsive site those data tables (which are inherently unresponsive) became what you now see on a mobile device. We attempted a few short term quick fixes which gave us slight improvement but have been working on the long term solution.

This is a priority and work is underway to improve the mobile results viewing experience. We appreciate your patience as we fine tune the new website and make the user positive great across all devices.

Dawson Hughes
    CEO, USMS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dawsonhughes View Post
    JPEnge has an accurate observation about the challenge of making data tables mobile responsive. On the former web platform we did some ‘shoehorning’ to limit the amount of pinching, zooming and scrolling that was needed to view results. When we moved
    to a fully responsive site those data tables (which are inherently unresponsive) became what you now see on a mobile device. We attempted a few short term quick fixes which gave us slight improvement but have been working on the long term solution.

This is a priority and work is underway to improve the mobile results viewing experience. We appreciate your patience as we fine tune the new website and make the user positive great across all devices.

Dawson Hughes
    CEO, USMS
    Dawson - Has anyone looked into something like what USA Swimming does for their times search page? It certainly isn't perfect either but it is a bit easier to navigate.

We have been looking at the best options and have seen USA Swimming results. We have some limitations given our current database structure. We believe we have figured out a workable solution for mobile results and the work is underway to implement in the very near future.

Thanks.

Update on the myUSMS login: we have recently released an update that includes the ‘remember me’ functionality when logging in to myUSMS. While the Forums will continue to have a separate login for the foreseeable future, this added functionality will improve the experience for those that visit myUSMS content regularly.

Although specific aren’t locked in yet, one of the many projects that are on our technology roadmap is updating and improving the forums with a robust online community for usms members. Research is underway to determine what the future online community needs/wants are and what it could look like.
    (This will include a single email login and password for all myUSMS online membership benefits.)

The feedback you all have provided here is included in that research and if there are other features or functions you’d like to see added or improved feel free to post those thoughts so they may be considered as we look to the future.

Thanks.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Thanks, Dawson! I look forward to seeing whatever
    future improvements are made on the site!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Thanks for adding the "remember me" check box on the My USMS sign in page.

Now "remember" my times.

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    Now "remember" my times.
    Orca - Are you referencing the mobile viewing of results? As mentioned in previous posts the structure of our results database in inherently not mobile friendly. We do however have a fix in the works, and hope to push live this month, to improve the navigation and viewing of results on mobile devices.

Our results database continues to function as it always has and we don't have any reports of issues with finding ('remembering')results records. The issue we are working to resolve is viewing of results on mobile devices.

Please let let us know of there is something else to which your are referencing.

Thanks.
    Dawson Hughes, CEO
    U.S. Masters Swimming

Blog Entries

Thanks for the feedback and update, Dawson! That's great that you guys are listening and are aware of some of the challenges. I totally get what you are going through though. R1 is never fun. Hang in there.
    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it." - Jonathan Winters, actor and comedian

Another thread popped up regarding 'low participation on the forums'. Although some of you may be participating in that thread and the discussions here seems to have faded (presumably as users have started to learn the new site navigation and updates improvements have been made), I thought you might be interested in some additional background and future vision for the forums and 'My USMS' that I just shared.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

This thread provides some great input and you should know that planning has been underway for some time to address many of the concerns you have shared.

Here's a bit of background on our digital transformation, which includes our online community/forums: 2 years ago, we started to evaluate the benefits we offer and where we could improve. The forums, which include members only features like coach written workouts and blogs, are one of the benefits we provide that fall under a 'digital umbrella'. The active forums community (those that visit the forums at least once a month) has been a small percentage of membership (e.g. at that time about 2% or 1,400 members). Much of the forums content is open to the public, so not exactly a benefit exclusive to USMS members. And many of the active users are members of our highly engaged volunteer leadership that use the forums for committee communication.

The forums are one of many components of the USMS digital strategy and we are currently in the early stages of a 3-5 year plan to modernize and improve our capabilities and the benefits we provide through My USMS. Step one was a modern website platform with a new design, which we released in April. Focus during our first phase was placed on marketing USMS to new members. The new site allows us to personalize content and target information based on preference and geography. It is fully mobile responsive (i.e. easily navigated on smart phones and tablets). We also transitioned to a more secure and stable environment among other improvements. All provide incremental benefits to our current members, create flexibility for future needs, and help us better communicate the value of USMS to prospective members.

As active members of the forums, this group will be most interested our next phase, which is to improve the benefits and information provided behind My USMS. While we continue to fine tune the new site and improve the user experience, work is already underway to implement new and improved benefits for members based on their feedback and expectations. You will start to see some updates in the coming weeks and continued roll out of specific functions into next year.

One of the areas on which we are focusing includes a modern online community for USMS.

A future USMS online community that will exist as part of the My USMS portal may include the following:

• Modern discussion forums and blogs
    • User managed profile information
    • Ability to comments on articles
    • Easier access to workouts & training plans with a better format
    • Club and event review
    • Member-to-member messaging
    • Private member-only content (i.e. articles that can only be accessed by members)
    • Modern fitness tracking (incorporating app and smart watch functionality)
    • Achievement badges
    • Fitness app integration with USMS fitness logs
    • Access to all this content on computer, tablet, phone

Thank you for your feedback thus far. We do monitor the comments and incorporate them into our planning. I’ll continue to monitor this thread if you care to share additional thoughts or comments.
    Dawson Hughes, CEO
    U.S. Masters Swimming

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789