Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MISSING: Link to the Discussion Forums on the new site!

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

MISSING: Link to the Discussion Forums on the new site!

The Discussion Forums link is missing from the new USMS.org website. Grrrr!

USMS, are you discontinuing the Forums, or did you just forget to include the link on your new site???
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Participating Member Master slacker's Avatar

Re: MISSING: Link to the Discussion Forums on the new site!

Yeah... uh... this new website is... different. Aside from a couple of 2010 videos and a 2014 video posted on the main page and the non-showing of swim clubs in my area, this update is... different...

Very Active Member

Found the link buried at the bottom. It's terrible placement. Please don't wreck the best parts of the site (forums and blogs).

Also, if anyone is reading this, it was nice when the national championship info was published in advance (2019 and 2020 nationals). It really helps to plan.

The new site is going to take some getting used to for sure.
    Last edited by jpetyk; April 3rd, 2018 at 06:09 PM.

I have had a very frustrating time even getting to the forums. They do not appear on my phone at all. Not my idea of user friendly.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

I couldn't find it either, but already had the forum link separate in my bookmarks. I also cannot find anything on the Adirondack LMSC.

After 44 years as a USMS member and 15 years on the forum I have to re-register for the website.
    Allen

What was wrong with the website that it had to change at all? Sheesh...
    Glenn Gruber

Very Active Member jim thornton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another obnoxious aspect is that you have to first sign on the USMS site with your email address and new password, and then, provided you can even find it, you have to sign on to the forums with your old user name and old password. Whoever designed this should have done a test roll out first with some volunteers who could point out the various glitches and drawbacks. Judging from comments on Facebook by swimmers who can't sign on at all either place, there are going to be a lot of pissed off swimmers in the watery diaspora!

I also find the "tell us a little about yourself" request at the main site a little hinky. It says they want to "personalize" the experience for us. Based on recent trends you read about in the news, "personalize" may just possibly mean "gather and sell your data to advertisers who can then pester you until you buy something and/or vote the way they want you to."

Could just be paranoia, I concede. But something is telling me that this website "upgrade" has less to do with us members and more to do with enhancing the finances of the organization itself. We all know that "corporations are people, too." Perhaps it's true that non-profits are people as well. Rapacious, greedy, money-grubbing people.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Dear USMS IT person,

I started to quote Master Slacker to add my response to his post; however, I then wanted to quote and respond to every poster up through Jim. I AGREE WITH EVERY POSTER ON THIS THREAD!

First of all, I looked all over for the Forums link, including at the bottom. I got mad, so I filled out the "Contact Us" form, sent membership an e-mail, and started this thread.
    It wasn't until I did this that the link was added at the bottom, right? I didn't see it there this afternoon! Bad placement. Please put it at the top, and don't make us sign in every time to use it!
    Second, I did a double-take on the 2010 videos. Whaaaat? That was the year I joined USMS!

Ok, now here's the REALLY important thing. Anytime you frustrate King Frog (AKA Allen Stark), I take that personally! He has been the KING on these forums, giving speedy and expert advice to all who have asked. HOW DARE YOU FRUSTRATE KING FROG!

Now, while I'm at it, I'm almost as mad that you have frustrated Jim Thornton. He writes EXCELLENT articles for Swimmer Magazine and knows his stuff. Please take his comments seriously, because he is absolutely correct.

Respectfully,

Your
    member, ElaineK
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Dear USMS IT person,

I started to quote Master Slacker to add my response to his post; however, I then wanted to quote and respond to every poster up through Jim. I AGREE WITH EVERY POSTER ON THIS THREAD!

First of all, I looked all over for the Forums link, including at the bottom. I got mad, so I filled out the "Contact Us" form, sent membership an e-mail, and started this thread.
    It wasn't until I did this that the link was added at the bottom, right? I didn't see it there this afternoon! Bad placement. Please put it at the top, and don't make us sign in every time to use it!
    Second, I did a double-take on the 2010 videos. Whaaaat? That was the year I joined USMS!

Ok, now here's the REALLY important thing. Anytime you frustrate King Frog (AKA Allen Stark), I take that personally! He has been the KING on these forums, giving speedy and expert advice to all who have asked. HOW DARE YOU FRUSTRATE KING FROG!

Now, while I'm at it, I'm almost as mad that you have frustrated Jim Thornton. He writes EXCELLENT articles for Swimmer Magazine and knows his stuff. Please take his comments seriously, because he is absolutely correct.

Respectfully,

Your
    member, ElaineK
    Also the new website literally cost a small fortune. (as much as a beach house on the coast).

I still can't access the forums from my phone. I think the best explanation is that they rolled this out too late, it should have been day before yesterday(April 1)
    Allen

Participating Member

Even after I logged in, I didn't see the forum link. Luckily forums.usms.org still worked. I can't get to the workout posts like hurrgtsa's 2017-2018 Competitive Workouts. I can look at the first page, but when I try to go to the second page (or refresh the tab I keep open), I get a 404 error. Same thing happens looking for the Sarasota Y GOLD blog page. The number of places to swim also seem to have dwindled, even though the pools that used to be listed still have the same hours, etc. If they tested the site, it certainly wasn't a very robust setup. Now we have a user-unfriendly website with lots of wasted space, at least for me. ElaineK, keep up the good feedback-giving, and maybe they will fix it!

It is bad... I went through the steps to create a "new" account and everything was successful so they claimed. However I log in and get someone else's info! Their event results, FLOG, but what concerns me the most is that I can see their personal info like their phone number, address, email address, date of birth, ect. I emailed membership@usmastersswimming.org, yesterday but have yet to receive a reply. Went to post on Facebook, but it looks like member posting has been disabled.

I started using this URL http://forums.usms.org/ That way I don't have to see the new website.

Very Active Member

Well,

I found the link, but I have to use Explorer to access it instead of Chrome.

Probably won't be seeing me post on the forums again - too much of a hassle.

BTW - the new site is supposed to drive membership upward. Not for this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by swimark View Post
    It is bad... I went through the steps to create a "new" account and everything was successful so they claimed. However I log in and get someone else's info! Their event results, FLOG, but what concerns me the most is that I can see their personal info like their phone number, address, email address, date of birth, ect. I emailed membership@usmastersswimming.org, yesterday but have yet to receive a reply. Went to post on Facebook, but it looks like member posting has been disabled.
    Looks like they fixed my account. I logged out and back in and now see my info instead of someone else's. However still haven't heard back from USMS.

Angry Re: MISSING: Link to the Discussion Forums on the new site!

Next complaint...
    My FLOG entries have lost their formatting and have extra characters inserted in there. No more bold, italics or underlining. Below is an example;

<p>[Warmup];</p>
    <p>500y free,</p>
    <p>100 breast kick with board,</p>
    <p>100 back,</p>
    <p>100 free kick with board,</p>
    <p>100 breast,</p>
    <p>100 kick EZ with board and fins,</p>
    <p>[Main set];</p>
    <p><strong>4x500 free</strong>,</p>

Blog Entries

Yeah, I just came to say that I second/third/fourth/etc the sentiment that the new website is VERY clunky.
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

Blog Entries

Please tell me this is a beta test site that went live too soon. Hopefully, USMS will solicit some advice from people who use it a lot. For example, I used the Find a Pool location all the time when traveling for work/vacation. The Club Finder is a feeble replacement. It doesn't show a fraction of the teams/pools in the areas that I usually travel.

Blog Entries

Add me to the list of those very aggravated.

Last night, I managed to create a new My USMS account. But I could not log onto the DF/blogs under my user name. I had forgotten my password (which was just saved on my computer and wiped out by the new website launch). A bunch of attempts to create a new password inexplicably failed. This am, I was able to create a new account under The Fortress with a new password for the DF/blogs. But now I cannot get into my new My USMS account, which I had set up last night. I just get a solid blank navy blue screen when I click on My USMS. Nothing there anymore. WTH? What a terrible roll out.

It seems incredibly odd that a masters sport would de-emphasize a discussion forum by basically hiding it/relegating it to a obscure corner of the website. And there's not even a separate entry for "blogs." It's as if they don't exist. You can only access them by clicking on discussion forums, which makes no sense. You'd think they would be listed under "fitness and training" like the flogs, but they are not there. Does USMS want to eliminate them?
    Last edited by The Fortress; April 4th, 2018 at 10:56 AM.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast