Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: MISSING: Link to the Discussion Forums on the new site!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Re: MISSING: Link to the Discussion Forums on the new site!

Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton View Post
    Another obnoxious aspect is that you have to first sign on the USMS site with your email address and new password, and then, provided you can even find it, you have to sign on to the forums with your old user name and old password. Whoever designed this should have done a test roll out first with some volunteers who could point out the various glitches and drawbacks. Judging from comments on Facebook by swimmers who can't sign on at all either place, there are going to be a lot of pissed off swimmers in the watery diaspora!

I also find the "tell us a little about yourself" request at the main site a little hinky. It says they want to "personalize" the experience for us. Based on recent trends you read about in the news, "personalize" may just possibly mean "gather and sell your data to advertisers who can then pester you until you buy something and/or vote the way they want you to."

Could just be paranoia, I concede. But something is telling me that this website "upgrade" has less to do with us members and more to do with enhancing the finances of the organization itself. We all know that "corporations are people, too." Perhaps it's true that non-profits are people as well. Rapacious, greedy, money-grubbing people.
    I second every comment here.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
    So far, teh only one I can get onto the forums is by going to a specific post or forum (whichever my computer finished autofilling in for me), then backing out to the other forums.
    Yes, the only way I can get in is to go to the on-line workouts, then click on one of the specific workout categories, which puts me into the forums tab. I can then navigate to the "general" category. At that point I can't go to the top of any of the specific sub-forums, I have to click on the link to the last post and work backward from there.

I still have not found any way to get to the blogs, even my own.

Do the web managers at USMS know about all the problems? Do they realize that there are actually real problems, not just complaining "old" people who don't like change?

If the intention was to terminate the social-interaction aspect of the web site, I wish they had explored the issue first. Use of the features of this web site is one of the main reasons I pay USMS dues.

What, exactly, did they think they were fixing with this update?

Blog Entries

I've now changed my login password two or three times over the last week or so. It finally worked on my home computer where I enter my flog data (the multiple attempts really slowed me down when I was rushing to get to work), but the new login email address and password won't work at all on my computer at work, and I couldn't find the forum or blog until just now. Once into them there is no access to the flog. Who knows what will happen trying to login in on my phone.

I've tried logging in at work with the new email login and password. It doesn't work so I tried to change the password again. But the email verification gets sent to my home email and I can only access that from my phone when I'm at work. The email on my phone just opens the browser and a bunch of adds - the verification does nothing.

Working around the roll out has not been fun and I'm guessing less persistent users are just dropping it.
    Some guys they just give up living and start dying little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up and go racin’ in the street. (Bruce Springsteen, 1978)

well after 42 years as a Masters simmer you may have lost me on this crappy NEW site.
    Are you kidding me with all the NEW info that will be "hacked" sooner than later?
    Did you forget about us long time users that go to forums very often? To hide it at the bottom of an unrelated page is just dumb!!!
    Who ever made this NEW one must not be a forum user !!
    Please make some quick changes to access "Forums" in a much easier and findable location!

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S View Post

Do the web managers at USMS know about all the problems?

Oh yeah, they know.
    I sent them two e-mails with my complaints and also sent them the link to this thread. I asked them to read it and resolve the VERY VALID issues we all have raised.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

For those of you who are looking for the old "Places to Swim" listings, this is how you do it:

1) Go to the home page

2) Scroll down to the bottom, click the "LMSCs" link
    3) Select an LMSC
    4) Click on "Places to Swim"
    5) Results for Georgia: https://www.usms.org/placswim/placswimform.php?LMSCID=45

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

Why oh why is the "Find a Club" so jacked? There are 13 registered teams in Allegheny Mountain. Find a Club? 1 team is listed twice, and 1 other local team is listed. The next clubs on the list take me to Warren, OH and Reston, VA. That would make a heck of a commute at 5 am!!!

Please, please, revert the site back until the new one is much more functional!!

On some USMS pages I have been getting an all blue screen and an almost unreadable error in the upper left hand corner. (Black text on a darker blue screen is hard to see.) This seems to happen more with the Google Chrome browser. I tried a Microsoft browser and had better luck loading pages.

It sure would be nice if we could choose an option to stay signed in! I use the USMS site on my home desktop computer, and I don't remember the last time I signed into the Forums. It's bookmarked, and I just go to the site. Now, every time I want to log my workout, I have to go to the new site and sign in. The two sites need to be married up into one with one log-in that we can stay signed in on if we choose!

Hey, Rob! Check out your club page: https://www.usms.org/club-resources/clubs/south-side-seala

I see you are you now a "Seala" instead of a Seal!

Very Active Member

I agree with all of the previous comments. I would guess that this website upgrade was contracted to someone who doesn’t have a good grasp on the organization and its members. Just a guess. My personal frustration is that I was trying to research the past 5 years of SC Nationals to get an idea of who attends and what they swim, so I could pick events strategically. Hmmm, they’re not available now. I realize that change is hard, but bad change is even harder!

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    It sure would be nice if we could choose an option to stay signed in! I use the USMS site on my home desktop computer, and I don't remember the last time I signed into the Forums. It's bookmarked, and I just go to the site. Now, every time I want to log my workout, I have to go to the new site and sign in. The two sites need to be married up into one with one log-in that we can stay signed in on if we choose!

Agree.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post

Oh yeah, they know.
    I sent them two e-mails with my complaints and also sent them the link to this thread. I asked them to read it and resolve the VERY VALID issues we all have raised.
    To what email address did you send your comments? I tried to do the same but didn't find an email address. Under "contact us" I only found a web form that has a maximum message length of 250 characters, including spaces! I sent a message, but couldn't enumerate all the problems within that limitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S View Post
    To what email address did you send your comments? I tried to do the same but didn't find an email address. Under "contact us" I only found a web form that has a maximum message length of 250 characters, including spaces! I sent a message, but couldn't enumerate all the problems within that limitation.
    Membership@USMS.org . It's the e-mail address that was provided in the verification e-mail when I had to re-register for the new site.

Have any of you tried the link to the e-Postal results from this month's edition of Streamlines? I thought I would check out both the men's and women's individual results; however, I received that lovely 404 error message that the page does not exist. Why include it in the e-mail if it doesn't work? UGGGGHHHH!

Blog Entries

Just and FYI - the system seems to be totally jumbling (deleting returns and formatting) for entries to the flog.
    Some guys they just give up living and start dying little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up and go racin’ in the street. (Bruce Springsteen, 1978)

Hey, Forumites!

I just got off the phone with Jessica Porter (Senior Director, Membership Acquisition & Services) from the home office. She called me to let me know she has read through this thread and has passed our issues on to IT to resolve. Some of the issues were a quick fix and have been resoloved; however, it has been a challenge dealing with how the new website works across various platforms-- Google Chrome being the most challenging right now.

Jessica has also reached out to several of the other Forumites on this thread, and she will continue to contact those who have sent e-mails.

If you have an issue, Jessica asks that you please e-mail: membership@usmastersswimming.org with details. She appreciates the feedback very much! Feel free to also vent here; however, she needs to be able to pass your information on to IT to resolve. She will not be posting here, because she said this is our "safe place" and doesn't want to intrude. Meanwhile, she will be sending a letter to the entire membership.

Jessica was very apologetic to all of us on behalf of USMS, and she genuinely feels bad. She made a point to say she doesn't want to lose any of us!
    Last edited by ElaineK; April 6th, 2018 at 02:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swimark View Post
    On some USMS pages I have been getting an all blue screen and an almost unreadable error in the upper left hand corner. (Black text on a darker blue screen is hard to see.) This seems to happen more with the Google Chrome browser. I tried a Microsoft browser and had better luck loading pages.
    I get the all blue screen as well. In the upper corner, it says "unable to add cookies, header already sent, line 424." I still cannot get on My USMS on Safari.

I was checking out the calendar of events section to look for future swim meets. To me, that's much worse. You can't look at all meets at once and they're not even in chronological order if you enter a date range.

To fix my blue screen problem, I had to clear out the browser cookies. I managed to navigate in the Chrome settings and just delete the USMS cookies as to not screw with the other websites I visit.
    In Chrome > settings > advanced > content settings > cookies > see all cookies and site data > USMS > remove

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I finally found a link to the forums on "My USMS" page. I did look a lot before I found it. As Jim said, you still have to log with the old log information when you go the the forums.

I started to think maybe I was just too old to figure out the new site. Kind of like when you tried to show your parents how to use their computer and they wanted to write down all of the steps. I'm glad to see I am not the only one to find this klunky.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast