Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: MISSING: Link to the Discussion Forums on the new site!

Re: MISSING: Link to the Discussion Forums on the new site!

Quote Originally Posted by swimark View Post
    To fix my blue screen problem, I had to clear out the browser cookies. I managed to navigate in the Chrome settings and just delete the USMS cookies as to not screw with the other websites I visit.
    In Chrome > settings > advanced > content settings > cookies > see all cookies and site data > USMS > remove
    Crap, I have to clear those USMS cookies everytime in Chrome as to not get the "blue screen" error. Guess I will be using another browser for now.

But I would like to say that the people at USMS are working on fixing the issues we have. We spoke on the phone and had many emails. They have fixed the major issues that I had, with the exception of the Chrome browser. I'm sure they are working on that too.

To throw something positive out there, the new homepage is a dramatic improvement on mobile browsers. I suspect this is what drove the change. We recently had a major update to the website for the retail establishment that I work at, designed to optimize it for phone sized screens. I'd have never guessed it, but an analysis showed that well over 50% of the traffic to our website was coming from devices running iOS (Apple iPhones) or Android (mostly phones).

Participating Member

Itís not just chrome. It also does not work with Firefox which is what I usually use. Contacted membership and all they seemed to say is I would just have to use another browser. Which I donít have.

OK after using it a few times now, I am getting used to just scrolling waaayyy down to the bottom and finding forums.

Today having problems with all the browsers I try. MS Edge, Chrome, Safari... and deleting cookies did not help.

Right now I'm using MS Edge, clicking on "My USMS" and getting the blue screen error. However if I click the "Fitness and Training" dropdown menu, then "Fitness Logs" I'm in! It went right to the calendar and could view my entries. Just for the fun of it, I go back and try "My USMS" but still get the same blue screen error.

This direct link to the FLOG works;
    https://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/

Also noticed that if I am not logged in and go to the above link it loads a old version of the login screen, not the new "snazzy" login. And this old style login does get me in.

Side note - The link below doesn't work, it gives me the blue screen error (copied this link from the main page after scrolling all the way down);
    https://www.usms.org/fitness/content/fitnesslogs

I haven't had any browser issues with the new site on Chrome, OS-X Safari, or iOs Safari

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Swimmark (and everybody else still having problems with the new website), make sure to e-mail Jessica with these issues, so she can get IT to fix them: membership@usmastersswimming.org .
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Swimmark (and everybody else still having problems with the new website), make sure to e-mail Jessica with these issues, so she can get IT to fix them: membership@usmastersswimming.org .
    I donít think contacting them will help. I was advised by Jessica to get a different browser.

Yeah had a few phone calls and numerous emails already. Fixed some stuff, but not all.

Another observation;
    Chrome had a notification that is was blocking third party cookies from USMS (there was a small icon - cookie with a red X in the address bar). Told Chrome not to block third party cookies and right now it's working, but didnt give it full on test. (login\out, restart, etc...)

Nope, crapped out again. However now getting a error say...
    "this page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources"
    ...when on the "old style" login screen.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmol1000 View Post
    I donít think contacting them will help. I was advised by Jessica to get a different browser.
    This is friggin' ridiculous if that was the response. This is is like freakin' apps or retail "discount cards" where everyone expects you to have a freakin' unique one for their application. Especially since I freakin' pay every year to have access to this one.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
    This is friggin' ridiculous if that was the response. This is is like freakin' apps or retail "discount cards" where everyone expects you to have a freakin' unique one for their application. Especially since I freakin' pay every year to have access to this one.
    Well it was ď try a different browserĒ. But I tried both my browsers chrome and Firefox. I donít have any others.

I think it's ridiculous that the new site doesn't work across ALL major browsers!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

I think it's ridiculous that the new site doesn't work across ALL major browsers!
    Yeah, that's pretty much my point. It isn't like I'm using Windows 3.11 right now......

Blog Entries

I only have access to the ďnon swimming relatedĒ threads. Seems reasonable though since I havenít really swam in months, and likely wonít until like August

Participating Member

I got to the forums by logging in on my new/updated account, clicking the blue "MyUSMS" square and then finding a bar labeled "Forums" with a speech bubble icon in between the "Places to Swim" and "Read SWIMMER Magazine" bars. I had to log in to the forums separate from already logging in to "MyUSMS".

An alternative to find swim meets in chronological order is to use ClubAssistant. While not perfect, it lists upcoming meets in chronological order for Masters swimmers nationwide! https://www.clubassistant.com/Home/Meets.cfm

I hope that some of the issues regarding the new site are fixed or changed back to how they were! It is good to know we have people working on it though.

EDIT: Oh man I've looked through it more thoroughly now and everything feels really disorganized. I like how they did their marketing and all, but please, please, not at the cost of hiding so much information. For example, the "Individual Results" and "Top 10 Times" data is really meaningful to me because I review it to set goals for myself, compared to others of my age and sex, and it was hiding under "My Events Results"... It's really hard for me to find meets or places to swim using their upgraded tabs... Please... don't choose aesthetic > functionality for a website community! We value the information that is saved here!
    Last edited by Solarizing; April 8th, 2018 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarizing View Post
    I got to the forums by logging in on my new/updated account, clicking the blue "MyUSMS" square and then finding a bar labeled "Forums" with a speech bubble icon in between the "Places to Swim" and "Read SWIMMER Magazine" bars. I had to log in to the forums separate from already logging in to "MyUSMS".
    Great, that's an improvement! The first day the new website went live, there was NO link to the Discussion Forums ANYWHERE. I sent an e-mail to membership, and Steve said he would have them add it. The link ended up at the very bottom of the home page, on the left side. When I spoke with Jessica at USMS, I told her I wasn't impressed. Now that it's added to the "MY USMS" page, I'm happy. Now, if they could just fix all of the other issues...

Very Active Member

swimark,

Never time to do it right the first time, but always to fix it. Having spent 20+ years in the quality control/assurance business, this is appalling. I do hope that USMS has a non-performance clause with the external IT company who designed the new website. A huge part of something like this is thorough beta testing of EVERYTHING before it is released. They did not do that and USMS should not pay for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Windrath View Post
    swimark,

Never time to do it right the first time, but always to fix it. Having spent 20+ years in the quality control/assurance business, this is appalling. I do hope that USMS has a non-performance clause with the external IT company who designed the new website. A huge part of something like this is thorough beta testing of EVERYTHING before it is released. They did not do that and USMS should not pay for this.
    Windrath - I hear you. Did software development\programming years ago...

Chrome workaround (that works for me);
    Once in Chrome, open a new incognito window (Ctrl+Shift+N) and login to USMS. From here I can navigate for a while without any issues - EXCEPT when I go to the forum and log in. Once logged into the forum and come back to the "my USMS" incognito tab I will get the blue screen error. So close all incognito tabs and start over.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast