Thread: This drill - rotation!

Very Active Member

This drill - rotation!

I started doing this drill recently on the advice of a swim instructor to help even out my freestyle. Yet, most good swimmers I watch in the pool do not seem to rotate that severely. Why do the drill if you don't rotate that much? Or do you?

Very Active Member

Re: This drill - rotation!

no replies?

This "drill" is a total waste of your time, unless that is the way you plan to swim your race.
    Glenn Gruber

Very Active Member

Glenn, I don't race, just distance swimmer. I initially followed Total Immersion. So, for a distance swimmer, is this too much rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by renie View Post
    I started doing this drill recently on the advice of a swim instructor to help even out my freestyle.
    What was the swim instructor trying to fix?

Most drills, if done properly, are intended to fix a stroke flaw or to isolate a segment of the stroke for improvement. Many swimmers under rotate, don't engage their core, and/or aren't streamlined while swimming free. These may be what the instructor was having yo work on.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine and not those of U.S. Masters Swimming.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Copeland View Post
    What was the swim instructor trying to fix?

Most drills, if done properly, are intended to fix a stroke flaw or to isolate a segment of the stroke for improvement. Many swimmers under rotate, don't engage their core, and/or aren't streamlined while swimming free. These may be what the instructor was having yo work on.
    I rotate well on one side and not much on the other. Or sometimes I rotate hips but not the rest of my body seems to want to follow .

That "drill" is demonstrating waaaaaaay too much rotation.
    Glenn Gruber

Very Active Member

Renie -

Whenever I have people do this drill - which is not very often - it is for body alignment, balance, and head position. If this drill is being used for rotation, it would simply so the swimmer can feel how to rotate by using their hips and shoulders in tune with the timing of their kick. It is an advanced drill that requires being very comfortable with only a small portion of your face out of the water.

Most people who try this drill are too loose in their hips, lift their chin to breathe, etc..

Most swimmers who have rotating problems will have it on their non-breathing side and often is the result of only breathing to one side instead of breathing every 3 strokes. Another contributing factor is not keeping your arm in front of you long enough for the other arm to complete the stroke.

From your explanation of "I rotate my hips but the rest of my body does not want to follow" suggests to me that you may not have good body alignment and your "rotation" may actually be bouncing.

A video would be helpful..

Very Active Member

Thanks, Windrath. I'll make sure that I am doing the drill properly. I've been told to breathe to my other side, but my stroke falls apart when I do.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Windrath View Post
    Renie -

Whenever I have people do this drill - which is not very often - it is for body alignment, balance, and head position. If this drill is being used for rotation, it would simply so the swimmer can feel how to rotate by using their hips and shoulders in tune with the timing of their kick. It is an advanced drill that requires being very comfortable with only a small portion of your face out of the water.

Most people who try this drill are too loose in their hips, lift their chin to breathe, etc..

Most swimmers who have rotating problems will have it on their non-breathing side and often is the result of only breathing to one side instead of breathing every 3 strokes. Another contributing factor is not keeping your arm in front of you long enough for the other arm to complete the stroke.

From your explanation of "I rotate my hips but the rest of my body does not want to follow" suggests to me that you may not have good body alignment and your "rotation" may actually be bouncing.

A video would be helpful..
    Windrath, I think you've perfectly described one of my issues with freestyle. My hips are loose. Are there any drills that will help?

Quote Originally Posted by renie View Post
    Thanks, Windrath. I'll make sure that I am doing the drill properly. I've been told to breathe to my other side, but my stroke falls apart when I do.
    I've been working for 2-3 years to breath effortlessly to the left. (Right is great, alternate breathing is fine, but only to the left was just awkward.) I'm mostly there, though right breathing is still more effortless.

Using paddles helped a lot. I think because paddles slow my stroke tempo down so I had more time each stroke to get the breathing right. I also used a pull buoy so I didn't have to think about my legs, with the added benefit that I could feel my body rotation better than if I was kicking. Even now I find it helpful to breath right for 1/2 a lap, paying attention to timing details, then breath left the next 1/2 trying to replicate timing and body position. Disclaimer: if you don't normally use paddles, start with small ones and only 1 or 2 laps per day and build up. Paddles are notorious for causing shoulder problems.

A drill I like is the catch-up drill breathing each stroke (every arm rotation). It's a lot of gliding and a lot of breathing, but the point isn't to go fast.

It worked well for me to throw in a little breathing work most practices, rather than stress about getting it right in a short amount of time.
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. --Neale Donald Walsch

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by JanSwim View Post
    I've been working for 2-3 years to breath effortlessly to the left. (Right is great, alternate breathing is fine, but only to the left was just awkward.) I'm mostly there, though right breathing is still more effortless.

Using paddles helped a lot. I think because paddles slow my stroke tempo down so I had more time each stroke to get the breathing right. I also used a pull buoy so I didn't have to think about my legs, with the added benefit that I could feel my body rotation better than if I was kicking. Even now I find it helpful to breath right for 1/2 a lap, paying attention to timing details, then breath left the next 1/2 trying to replicate timing and body position. Disclaimer: if you don't normally use paddles, start with small ones and only 1 or 2 laps per day and build up. Paddles are notorious for causing shoulder problems.

A drill I like is the catch-up drill breathing each stroke (every arm rotation). It's a lot of gliding and a lot of breathing, but the point isn't to go fast.

It worked well for me to throw in a little breathing work most practices, rather than stress about getting it right in a short amount of time.
    Hi Jan. I've tried the paddles with and without pull buoy. I have absolutely no rotation from the waist down. It's pathetic. I tried alternate breathing but tend to give up b/c I feel even more unbalanced. I guess I need to keep on trying.

I used to do catch up drill but found that I couldn't convert to regular freestyle, although sometimes when I watch videos of good swimmers, it almost looks like they are doing catch up. My other strokes are strong, but freestyle is frustrating.