Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training for meet at high altitude

Re: Training for meet at high altitude

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post

I see you're from ABQ
    Yeah, Albuquerque is all right I guess. If you can spell it. And keep your car from being stolen. Oh, and not get shot. Then it's real nice. Mostly kidding.

I don't know if I'll be there. I haven't entered swim meet since 1978. Don't have fond memories of age group swim meets either. I know it's all different now, just haven't taken the plunge. I was going to do the NM State games this year. But I'm getting my shoulder fixed in June and won't be able to. If you come here, swim with us at LOBO.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VintageDirt View Post
    Yeah, Albuquerque is all right I guess. If you can spell it. And keep your car from being stolen. Oh, and not get shot. Then it's real nice. Mostly kidding.

I don't know if I'll be there. I haven't entered swim meet since 1978. Don't have fond memories of age group swim meets either. I know it's all different now, just haven't taken the plunge. I was going to do the NM State games this year. But I'm getting my shoulder fixed in June and won't be able to. If you come here, swim with us at LOBO.
    Hey, one thing Albuquerque DOES have (in addition to the awesome Hot Air Balloon Fiesta) is great New Mexican food! Coming from Southern California, I was used to Baja-Mexican food. I really enjoyed the Indian influence in the cuisine of your state.

I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder. Good luck with your surgery! As for swimming with your team, thanks for the invite!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by VintageDirt View Post

Vintage, I'm not too far from you. Just 90 min away and "up on the hill". Elaine, I've been told it take 1 month for every 1000 feet in elevation gain to adjust. I've been at 7200 for over 2 years and I'm still adjusting some days. Drink lots of water for the week or so prior to arriving and get here as early, before the meet, as you can. ABQ isn't as high as I am so I actually would enjoy this meet but I miss the age requirement by 1 year. Maybe I'll drive down and see you, though!

Participating Member

Elaine, this is swimshark (darn new forum wouldn't let me log in with my old name). I live about 90 min north of ABQ now. I train at 7200 every day. I've been told it takes 1 month per 1000 feet in elevation gain to adjust but there are days I still feel like I'm adjusting and I've been here for 2 years. Drink plenty of water for about a week before arriving and get here as far in advance as you can. I wish I could swim in the meet but I miss the age limit by 1 year!

Quote Originally Posted by Swimshark 2 View Post
    Elaine, this is swimshark (darn new forum wouldn't let me log in with my old name). I live about 90 min north of ABQ now. I train at 7200 every day. I've been told it takes 1 month per 1000 feet in elevation gain to adjust but there are days I still feel like I'm adjusting and I've been here for 2 years. Drink plenty of water for about a week before arriving and get here as far in advance as you can. I wish I could swim in the meet but I miss the age limit by 1 year!
    Hi, Swimshark! How have you been? It's been a long time since our Forumite t-shirt days! You know, it's because of your encouragement that I've been competing in the 400 IM and 200 Fly over the past six years. Thanks!

I appreciate your feedback on this. I'll take your advice on the water (I've already calendared it!), but I think I will only be able to get out a few days in advance. We'll see as it gets closer.

I'm sorry you won't be able to compete in the games. Hopefully, we'll catch up with each other at another one (or Nationals) in the future!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Participating Member

Hi there! I've been doing fine and love living in NM now. When is the meet? I may head down there to watch a bit. I can't believe you are still doing the 400IM and 200 fly. You are an animal. A few days here will help along with the water intake. Lack of water can cause a headache quickly here.

Hi there! I've been doing fine and love living in NM now. When is the meet? I may head down there to watch a bit. I can't believe you are still doing the 400IM and 200 fly. You are an animal. A few days here will help along with the water intake. Lack of water can cause a headache quickly here.

The National Senior Games are June 14-25, 2019 for all of the sports. The schedule for the individual sports hasn't been released yet. It would be great if you are able to come watch, because I haven't seen you since Atlanta's Nationals in 2010!

Your advice on water intake has been noted, and I passed that message along to my husband, too. We always have water bottles with us, so I'll make sure we are both using them often!

As for being an "animal" for still doing the 400 IM and 200 fly, others would probably call me an idiot!
    It's funny how I qualified as a Butternut doing a 2,000 non-stop fly; however, the worst part of the entire thing was the first 200 yards! I did that six years ago at 50; however, I'm a lot smarter now and won't even go there. 200 is enough fly for these aging shoulders!

Participating Member

Keep it up, Elaine! I'll try to come down to ABQ during the meet, once they announce the exact dates. I so wish I could compete as we don't have many meets in NM. As in, we have 1 per year!

Keep it up, Elaine! I'll try to come down to ABQ during the meet, once they announce the exact dates. I so wish I could compete as we don't have many meets in NM. As in, we have 1 per year!

ONE?
    Sheesh!

Very Active Member

Its a small populated state. New Mexico swimmers go to meets in Arizona. I competed against a New Mexico Masters swimmer at the Tucson Senior Olympics meet.

Participating Member

Sadly, true. We hosted a dual-sanctioned meet last summer and had 1 master from CO come down. Were closer to CO than AZ. Sadly, that dual-sanctioned meet was cancelled this year due to low registration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12