Thread: Should USMS be called USMS?

Very Active Member

Should USMS be called USMS?

Howdy,

Just for kicks and grins, should USMS be United States Masters Swimming. After all, very few of us are "Masters." Synchro has "grand masters" for those adult members who were nationally ranked when they were younger. I like the idea of having a category that separates the elite from the rest of us lap swimmers.

But, aside from that, what else could we call ourselves?

a) United States Senior Swimming
    b) United States Adult Senior Swimming
    c) Adult Senior Swimming

Any other ideas??

PW

Blog Entries

Re: Should USMS be called USMS?

One must be a master of life to be able to find enough time to swim, hence Masters Swimming.

Blog Entries

I feel like "Masters" is just the general moniker for post-open/senior level competition for most sports. There's Masters Weightlifting, Masters Track and Field, heck, there's even Masters Basketball. Though most of the those sports start the Masters class at a different age - 30 for track, 35 for weightlifting, etc.
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

+1 on JEnge's comment above.

I also agree with Flystorms below!
    Last edited by ElaineK; May 10th, 2018 at 03:45 PM.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

I think I understand where you're going, Windrath, but don't necessarily agree with the naming. When "senior" is heard, it generally sounds like something in the 50+ age groups. We're already hurting for younger members so adding "senior" would probably turn more off. "Masters" sort of implies an older group. I would love to come up with something that helps entice adults of all ages without scaring them off.
    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it." - Jonathan Winters, actor and comedian

Very Active Member

Well then, maybe something like "Post-Teen Swimming Association.

Masters - if you think about it, should not apply to any age groups because it implies a higher level of proficiency. Maybe it came from education and a Masters Degree? I do not know.

Perhaps we should expand the correlation to education degrees:

USBS...USMS...USPHD...USPDS

Just having some fun here.

PW

Participating Member

How about U.S. Adult Swimming Association (USASA) or something similar? I agree that "Masters" implies that its for old people or for people who have achieved mastery (defined as "great skill or technique").

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CKswimminginDC View Post
    How about U.S. Adult Swimming Association (USASA) or something similar? I agree that "Masters" implies that its for old people or for people who have achieved mastery (defined as "great skill or technique").

Ok, now that wouldn't be too bad. After all, once a person turns 18 years old, we are considered adults by law. (Of course, reality is an entirely different story!)
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

USA = United Swimmers Association

Very Active Member jim thornton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is probably unrealistic, but perhaps USMS should officially fuse with USA Swimming so that swimming in our country just has one umbrella organization with age groups starting at 6 and under and going to the current 100-104 (and perhaps someday soon, 105-109)?

There would be no distinctions made between youth swimmers, college swimmers, elite post college swimmers, early adult swimmers, middle adult swimmers, geriatric swimmers, etc. -- just one continuous sport that accepts swimmers in their childhoods and continues to provide a place to compete until the End?

I think this would encourage a lot of swimmers post high school (who either can't swim in college or don't want to) to stick with the sport.

The only folks that would be "hurt" by this, I suspect, would be masters world record holders in some of the young adult age groups. Many of the world records here would be supplanted by Phelps, Ledecky, Dressel, etc. But when you think about it, how much pleasure can one take in holding a Masters World Record while knowing someone the same age has killed your time but that it doesn't count because it wasn't swum at an official masters meet?

Example: the masters WR in the 18 - 24 age group for the 50 free is
    50 Free Josh Schneider 04-28-12 19.36

Josh would clearly lose this to Dressel (not to mention innumerable other 20-something sprinters).

Not till around age 40 or 45, I suspect, would the current masters world records stand up against that actual world records, but after that, I don't think it would be much of a problem. Dara Torres set the Masters WR for that 50 LCM free

Dara G Torres 07-06-08 24.25

That same year, in the Olympics, she set the American record at 24.07. This probably represents the smallest gap between a Masters WR and a non-Masters American record. Dara was 42 during that Olympics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton View Post
    This is probably unrealistic, but perhaps USMS should officially fuse with USA Swimming so that swimming in our country just has one umbrella organization with age groups starting at 6 and under and going to the current 100-104 (and perhaps someday soon, 105-109)?
    Conceptually, a sound idea. Practically, I'd not want to give up the great leadership and focus on adults swimming that we have with USMS leadership at all levels - from paid/national office staff to national/regional/local volunteers. We have a very special organization in USMS and I'd hate to see that subsumed by USA Swimming (which is not bad, but not as good as USMS).

Very Active Member

Jim,

I concur 100% that USMS and USA Swimming should merge. There are tremendous financial reasons to merge and swimmers around the country make find better opportunities for coached practices. Registration/Membership/times/competition would all become better.

Personally, I am not a fan of ALTS. Think it is better left to other organizations. It is just not a big enough market to spend as much time on as we do.

I agree it won't happen - mostly because the masters people are unwilling to relinquish control - even if it for their own good.