Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks Indy Aquatic Masters

Blog Entries

Thanks Indy Aquatic Masters

Wow! What an action-packed, fun long weekend of racing. Beyond all the fun in the pool and on the deck, I wanted to SHOUT OUT a huge applause for
    • Indy Aquatic Masters,
    • the officials who came from around the country,
    • the USMS Nationals committee,
    • ... and all of the other volunteers

For such a huge meet, this was exceptionally well run. The organization showed how adept the Indianapolis swimming community is at putting on big, aquatic events. The facility and the people were more than up for the challenge of hosting ~2400 swimmers plus friends and family. Great, great job.

I can't wait until we come back to Indy the next time!

Blog Entries

Re: Thanks Indy Aquatic Masters

I second all of this! This was one of the best-run meets I think I've ever been to - and without question the biggest. The Mecca of American swimming still lives up to all the hype.
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

Participating Member

I second all of that.
    Very well run meet.
    Plenty of massage tables which was a nice change from past nationals Iíve attended.
    Stayed downtown and great dining and social scene all in simple walking distance.
    My only complaint is with those swimmers who decide to set up ďcampĒ in front of the only entrance to the menís locker room. Got a little old having to elbow them out of the way and step over their bags.
    Other than that, great meet and fast pool!

Participating Member

I do hope it comes back to Indy sooner than later. I started back training not too long ago and have my eyes set on nationals one day very soon . Its so expensive to get out to Arizona next year for nationals and Indy is just such a great location with great facilities!!

Blog Entries

I wholeheartedly agree. It was a fantastic event! Thanks to everyone who made it happen!

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    • the USMS Nationals committee
    That's the USMS Championship Committee , with Jeff Roddin at the helm!

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxSwimmer View Post
    My only complaint is with those swimmers who decide to set up ďcampĒ in front of the only entrance to the menís locker room.
    There were locker rooms on both sides of the pool, which I thought was a fantastic element to the layout of the facility. I agree that it was a bit narrow getting in them sometimes, depending on what people were floating around at any given moment.
    USMS Secretary
    NI LMSC Chair/Webmaster - http://www.niagaramasters.org

Participating Member

gdanner, itís a great facility and my gripe is a minor one. However, I do think it would be a good idea to somehow block off the little walkway inbeteeen the temp bleachers. No issue with people milling around, itís going to be crowded with that many swimmers. My beef is with the swimmers that set up IN the walkway. Anyhow, minor deal you can stick in the suggestion box😎

Quote Originally Posted by gdanner View Post
    That's the USMS Championship Committee , with Jeff Roddin at the helm!
    Thanks for the shout-out, but the work was done by the Host (Mel, Dean, Michelle, etc.), the USMS National Office and the meet liaisons (Jim Clemmons and Pete Tarnapoll). I'm just their boss LOL
    And how about a round of applause to Indy for bringing back the "Voice of Masters Swimming" to announce Friday and Saturday!

Jeff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jroddin View Post
    And how about a round of applause to Indy for bringing back the "Voice of Masters Swimming" to announce Friday and Saturday!

Jeff
    Yes, I did enjoy having the good Professor back behind the mike. Maybe we can entice him with a return to the heat next spring in Mesa?

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Rowdy made it so exciting to watch the live streaming! I can only imagine what it must have been like to have heard him in person. He is the BEST!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Rowdy made it so exciting to watch the live streaming! I can only imagine what it must have been like to have heard him in person. He is the BEST!
    I feel like he didn't do that much announcing - though I showed up late on Saturday because I didn't swim until the 100 IM. I don't think I heard him in person at all...
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

I concur. The meet was very well run and the officials/volunteers seemed to be having fun too. I thanked several of them for their hard work over the weekend and they all replied by either thanking me and/or saying they love the experience of it. You could definitely tell the difference in attendees as there were swimmers everywhere but that only added to the overall experience. There were lots of great swims so congrats to all.

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jeff
    Mark Gill was back? (Just kidding.)

Does anyone know if they plan on posting LMSC-specific results, as they have in the past? For example:

https://www.usms.org/comp/scnats17/results/

With the new results formats it is easy to group by club but hard to do so by LMSC, which can be useful for newsletter shout-outs and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson View Post
    Mark Gill was back? (Just kidding.)

Mark Gill was such a hoot in Atlanta (2010). That was my first Nationals, and my husband and I both got a kick out of listening to him. He may not have had quite the enthusiasm as Rowdy, but his sense of humor was

Could you imagine Mark Gill and Rowdy Gaines as co-announcers?

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Mark Gill was such a hoot in Atlanta (2010). That was my first Nationals, and my husband and I both got a kick out of listening to him. He may not have had quite the enthusiasm as Rowdy, but his sense of humor was

Could you imagine Mark Gill and Rowdy Gaines as co-announcers?
    See attached picture from Indy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180511_163305879.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	408.1 KB 
ID:	11572  

See attached picture from Indy...

Wow! That was Mark's voice I heard over the live streaming? It has been a long time since I have heard him, so I didn't realize it was Mark! At times it was hard to make out what he was saying (thanks to my cheap computer speakers), but I thought he was good! What a fantastic team you had there!

Very Active Member

Wow! That was Mark's voice I heard over the live streaming? It has been a long time since I have heard him, so I didn't realize it was Mark! At times it was hard to make out what he was saying (thanks to my cheap computer speakers), but I thought he was good! What a fantastic team you had there!

It was so great to hear Mark Gillís voice! When I first heard it, I thought it was too good to be true. Then I heard him clearing out the warm-up pool, and I knew it was Mark!

This was an amazing meet on so many levels. The management was flawless...no glitches. Somehow nearly 2400 people figured out a way to make it work on deck. Warmups were comfortable and not intimidating. The officials were competent, and the pool staff was always there. Kudos to Mel Goldstein and compatriots for a smooth-running event! Congrats to all of the players!

This was my 3rd Nationals at Indy. This was the most attended meet in history! The meet ran very well with the exception of only 2 glitches that I saw. Swimmers were good at telling officials and helpers thanks for the time that was involved. I personally had a better meet than I thought I would with 5 medals out of 5 events. Not bad for a 72 year old fat man!

Blog Entries

Man... it's been a week and a half and I'm still pumped about this meet. I asked my wife if she would be interested in vacationing in Arizona next spring so I can go to Nats next year - I'll be 30 then so new age group time! :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge View Post
    Man... it's been a week and a half and I'm still pumped about this meet. I asked my wife if she would be interested in vacationing in Arizona next spring so I can go to Nats next year - I'll be 30 then so new age group time! :P
    If you need any ideas to help convince your wife, just let me know. Arizona in late April is a pretty great time of year to be here!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge View Post
    Yes, try to make it. Nice facility in Mesa and lots of things to do in the area!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast