Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Website

The Website

There is a NSR thread about the website, but I wanted to start one here as this gets more looks. I can finally access from my phone, but too much still seems not user-friendly. True, I'm 69 , but it should be simple enough for me to navigate. I just looked at the event rankings and if you want to find someone below about top 3 you just have to keep scrolling and scrolling. Plenty of people have complained about the calendar. I believe USMS wants to be responsive, so please make your observations and concerns known.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Blog Entries

Re: The Website

When viewing event results, not only do you have to scroll at a one swim per page rate but the characters overlap.

Was the usms.org change for security purposes?

The way it was prior to the change was perfect. You get a single table with all of your swims in view so you get a snapshot of your performance. Now, you can only view one swim or 2 at a time (below)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9F640253-CB39-4A81-B8C9-2F50571CD4CA.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	11588  
    Last edited by __steve__; June 1st, 2018 at 10:10 AM. Reason: dial back the tone

Could someone give one reason that the new event results format is better?
    Allen

Just found out the event rankings are OK on my laptop, is is only on my phone that they are unwieldy.
    Allen

Participating Member

I hate having to sign in every time ...no button to save sign in and password.

Blog Entries

I signed in and saved the link as a favorite and donít have to log in again. I saved both the forum page and the FLOG pages as separate favorites and they hold the logins.
    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it." - Jonathan Winters, actor and comedian

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flystorms View Post
    I signed in and saved the link as a favorite and donít have to log in again. I saved both the forum page and the FLOG pages as separate favorites and they hold the logins.

Thanks to your suggestion on the other thread, I did the same thing. It has spared me the ongoing frustration that I used to have logging in each time.

What I would like to know, however, is why it is taking IT so
    long to get this resolved! How hard could it be to add a "Remember me" option to the new website??? I asked about it in early April before I started the thread in the NSR section!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    Could someone give one reason that the new event results format is better?
    There is no good reason. I think the whole website redo is a disaster. I've heard it will takes years to pay off what they have spent on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mpmartin View Post
    I've heard it will takes years to pay off what they have spent on it.
    To the best of my knowledge, USMS is current with all payments for the website redesign and USMS did not take out any loans to pay for the project. So I'm not sure what you mean by "it will take years to pay off what they have spent". Can you explain this?
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine and not those of U.S. Masters Swimming.

Turn your phone sideways for the wider view and the rankings are somewhat normal to read.

Blog Entries

You guys have to understand that programming takes time and it's not cheap. You have to prioritize the requests/fixes by those that are critical to keeping the site up and are "nice to have/annoyances". You have to duplicate the bug, work to fix it without jacking up other stuff, test it, then launch it. There were a lot of tweaks/changes/requests that came out of this first release and it takes time to compile them. Typically, they'll bundle several code changes together and put them out into another release. Be patient. We don't know what they're going through. with time and money.
    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it." - Jonathan Winters, actor and comedian

Blog Entries

I used to regularly view the list of upcoming events in the area, but since the changes, I have no gone in once. I am in upstate NY, and I keep getting Boston events. I put in my zip code, and that does nothing. So....pretty sure I'm missing some events because I'm too lazy to keep scrolling down to find an event near me. It's not even sorted by date...don't really understand the algorithm there.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by flystorms View Post

Thanks!

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I believe USMS wants to be responsive, so please make your observations and concerns known.
    I signed my son up for the Commerce meet in December (bought USMS card and used my email). Now when I log on, I am my son and I cannot access my flog. I've been told they are working around the clock to fix this. After working in hospitals for 30 years, it is important for us all to realize any computer upgrade is always "code" for downgrade. Of course the irony is my son will never look at this website. I do like the enhanced security of the new site as I stay up late at nights constantly worried if someone has hacked into my flog subtracting hard earned mileage or going on the forums (not sure why that still works) and making churlish remarks under my name...

Quote Originally Posted by waves101 View Post
    Turn your phone sideways for the wider view and the rankings are somewhat normal to read.
    Thanks, that is better, but still clunky.
    Allen

Ditto. The old way was so much better. Maybe it would have been better to allow some parts not to be upgraded until the exact same methods we had in the old were available in the new? Maybe getting volunteer testers would have been an idea before rolling out? Volunteers as in people who do use and don't use the site a lot, to get a mix of ideas/feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by ssumargo View Post
    I used to regularly view the list of upcoming events in the area, but since the changes, I have no gone in once. I am in upstate NY, and I keep getting Boston events. I put in my zip code, and that does nothing. So....pretty sure I'm missing some events because I'm too lazy to keep scrolling down to find an event near me. It's not even sorted by date...don't really understand the algorithm there.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Copeland View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, USMS is current with all payments for the website redesign and USMS did not take out any loans to pay for the project. So I'm not sure what you mean by "it will take years to pay off what they have spent". Can you explain this?
    Rob, I got your private message reply, but some reason my reply to you won't go through. Thanks for setting me straight on the depreciation. Take care, Michael

Blog Entries

The results section for my swims looks normal on my laptop. Maybe I need a new phone

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    When viewing event results, not only do you have to scroll at a one swim per page rate but the characters overlap.

Was the usms.org change for security purposes?

The way it was prior to the change was perfect. You get a single table with all of your swims in view so you get a snapshot of your performance. Now, you can only view one swim or 2 at a time (below)
    Same with me. Also, the event rankings are messed up also.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Copeland View Post
    Rob, again I tried to replied to your PM but I keep getting error messages. Thanks for the reply you sent me. Now I understand where my numbers came and why they are what they are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast