Thread: Why Such Low Forum Membership and Participation?

Participating Member

Why Such Low Forum Membership and Participation?

I think I read that there are over 60,000 Masters swimmers in the US. At the same time, however, it seems
    very few, percentage wise, are members of, or participate, in this forum. I can't help but wonder why this is the case.

Any ideas?

Re: Why Such Low Forum Membership and Participation?

I'm really not sure. I think the new website format frustrated many of "the old guard" but even before that participation was declining.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Very Active Member

Although the Forums can be useful in many ways, I think that many would prefer doing swimming rather than talking about it.

Blog Entries

A few reasons:
    1) As Allen mentioned, the website. When the rolled the new one out, it took awhile for them to connect the forums back up correctly. There may be people that thought the forums went away, or maybe some that are still boycotting the website because of it.

2) Given the age ranges of Masters swimmers, there are probably quite a few in the upper half of those that aren't quite as "tech savvy."

3) Forums in general are kind of going away due to the rise of social media. More people are opting to do most of the internet socialization in one place on Facebook or what have you than have multiple different accounts for forums on each hobby. I think this is something that USMS has not done a good job in tapping into. I also participate in CrossFit - their forums used to be buzzing until 3 or 4 years ago when they started transitioning everything to their Facebook feeds. Now those forums are even more dead than USMS, and I can pretty much guarantee you there are more people active in CrossFit than in Masters swimming (I finished 25,692 in the world for men in the CF Open this past year - that was top 10% of men and I would guess at least half of CrossFitters don't even sign up for the Open, so yeah).
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

Participating Member

Great information guys. Thanks. I noticed today that USMS does have a FB page. I'll stop by there on occasion.

For me, the opportunity to talk about swimming seems pretty limited. There's the pool-side chat before and after workouts but that's kind of the extent of it. I do need to participate in events so that might open things up a bit.
    Last edited by Jacques_Mayol; June 9th, 2018 at 06:24 PM.

Blog Entries

I like how the forum was about 7 years ago. It basically was a chronological record of related knowledge, information, and history. Searching was relatively effective and precise. Correct, about how social MEdia has condensed active membership down to die-hards.

But still useful, where else can someone basically learn to swim competitively just from posting a video?

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    I like how the forum was about 7 years ago.
    It was also a lot more fun back then! I miss Forumites like That Guy, Jaadams1, and Swim Stud who always made me laugh; and, others like pmccoy and swimosaur who always had a lot of great information and insight to contribute.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

As JPEnge noted, the bulletinboard format has become passe in favor of social media visual styles. I'm truly an internet originalist. As a computer scientist at GE Research before the internet even existed, and on line from the very beginning, I see steep declines in all sites and topics still using vBulletin. I don't know the solution though. I retired too many years ago to know current trends.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    It was also a lot more fun back then! I miss Forumites like That Guy, Jaadams1, and ...
    Hear, hear!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sumorunner View Post
    As JPEnge noted, the bulletinboard format has become passe in favor of social media visual styles. I'm truly an internet originalist. As a computer scientist at GE Research before the internet even existed, and on line from the very beginning, I see steep declines in all sites and topics still using vBulletin. I don't know the solution though. I retired too many years ago to know current trends.
    I prefer forums for hobbies. Social media pages are just so... spastic. Things show up and get buried so quickly and half of everything devolves into people taking offense at each other.
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

Blog Entries

Just a sign of the times and shift in tech. In the early 2000's, I was a member of a dozen or more forums that were very lively. Almost all of them are shut down or out of use today. I've seen a thread like this in all of them, except it was ten or more years ago!
    USMS Secretary
    NI LMSC Chair/Webmaster - http://www.niagaramasters.org

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge View Post
    I prefer forums for hobbies. Social media pages are just so... spastic. Things show up and get buried so quickly and half of everything devolves into people taking offense at each other.
    I agree. discussion forums are still the best platforms for actual discussion and it's too bad their popularity seems to be fading. I'm a member of a few that are still going strong, but it's pretty clear the demographic frequenting them is getting older. Discussion forums aren't seeming to attract a lot of new, younger members.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    I agree. discussion forums are still the best platforms for actual discussion and it's too bad their popularity seems to be fading. I'm a member of a few that are still going strong, but it's pretty clear the demographic frequenting them is getting older. Discussion forums aren't seeming to attract a lot of new, younger members.
    Well, I guess we'll all grow old together here as Forumites!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    The forum archive is such a treasure trove of information about swimming, and searchable. No way social media pages can be serve as that kind of resource.

Blog Entries

Has anyone else noticed that the link to USMS member blogs hasn't worked since the "new" site was launched? I keep checking back to see if it has been linked, but no luck. I can still access other's blogs if I go into mine first, but the direct link is a no go.

Blog Entries

I trace the beginning of the decline to the day when the photo of Speedo Man was banned by the moderators.

Participating Member

That's pretty funny. I haven't seen it but it must have been kind of "disturbing"