Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Such Low Forum Membership and Participation?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Re: Why Such Low Forum Membership and Participation?

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird Alum View Post
    You know... not everything in this world needs to be instantaneous and off the cuff. Sometimes, it's best to put our ideas out there and let them simmer for awhile before instantl expecting a response, or making a response.

I've come to love that about these forums. Also, there is already more information in the posted threads, blogs, and archives than I could ever get through in my short span of time on this rock.
    Hear hear!
    These forums are a treasure trove of information, a good deal of it useful
    I just wish there were a better search engine.

I agree with Sumorunner that VBulletin format bbs are showing reduced readership (in my experience), but perhaps *all* forum formats are.
    In the beginning, it is terribly exciting to discover that I can talk to, say, Fortress across the miles, and read her blog, and wonder at her accomplishments.
    (Now I wonder how to find the blog.)
    A few years ago, the Marathon Swimmers Federation launched, and many OW swimmers gravitated there (I am happily one of them).
    Overall, I think it is not a bad thing that membership/participation on these forums or bbs is now pared down. I do miss the friendly banter, and some of the saltier participants, and some who have passed.

Blog Entries

I am sure there are as many reasons as people. Just decided to look at forums today. Why I've not participated? I've been too busy swimming.

Blog Entries

USMS just sent out a survey to members asking questions like this. If you haven't filled it out yet, I would recommend you do.
    --Mike Tyson (yes, my real name)

https://blogs.marathonswimmers.org/ironmike/

I took the survey and it only had generic questions of how to improve. I just find the website cumbersome. For instance, the Nationals section, you click Nationals, then year, then meet. Why not just click Nationals and the scroll to what you want? Yes, the pictures are great, but as I said, cumbersome.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I took the survey and it only had generic questions of how to improve.
    I'd second the suggestion to fill out the Membership Survey that was sent. As Allen notes, it isn't simply an open-ended request for ideas as we need to be able to analyze the data in a meaningful way. However, these forums do provide a platform for that type of discourse. We include comments here, particularly those related to membership value and benefits, in our planning.

[QUOTE - Allen Stark;334403] I just find the website cumbersome. For instance, the Nationals section, you click Nationals, then year, then meet. Why not just click Nationals and the scroll to what you want? Yes, the pictures are great, but as I said, cumbersome.[/QUOTE]

Great to hear you enjoy the imagery on the website but sorry to hear you find the navigation cumbersome. A great deal of planning, design and user interface consideration goes into the website including the fact that over 50% of USMS web traffic happens on mobile devices. We have 11 National Championship events a year (pool, open water, epostal) plus an international championship that we typically have listed. With the current year’s events and future events 1-2 year in advance receiving the most traffic, that would create a list of 30-40 events to scroll through. For many, particularly on mobile devices, 3-4 clicks to get to the specific event is preferred to scrolling a list (i.e. think about holding a phone and using your thumb to navigate).
    Last edited by dawsonhughes; September 4th, 2019 at 10:20 AM.
    Dawson Hughes, CEO
    U.S. Masters Swimming

Very Active Member

Stay tuned for exciting announcements about the future plans for the future of the USMS forums and expanded functionality during the last few months of 2019 and beginning of 2020.
    Last edited by dawsonhughes; September 4th, 2019 at 10:18 AM.
    Dawson Hughes, CEO
    U.S. Masters Swimming

Quote Originally Posted by dawsonhughes View Post
    I'd second the suggestion to fill out the Membership Survey that was sent. As Allen notes, it isn't simply an open-ended request for ideas as we need to be able to analyze the data in a meaningful way. However, these forums do provide a platform for that type of discourse. We include comments here, particularly those related to membership value and benefits, in our planning.

[QUOTE - Allen Stark;334403] I just find the website cumbersome. For instance, the Nationals section, you click Nationals, then year, then meet. Why not just click Nationals and the scroll to what you want? Yes, the pictures are great, but as I said, cumbersome.
    Great to hear you enjoy the imagery on the website but sorry to hear you find the navigation cumbersome. A great deal of planning, design and user interface consideration goes into the website including the fact that over 50% of USMS web traffic happens on mobile devices. We have 11 National Championship events a year (pool, open water, epostal) plus an international championship that we typically have listed. With the current year’s events and future events 1-2 year in advance receiving the most traffic, that would create a list of 30-40 events to scroll through. For many, particular on mobile devices, 3-4 clicks to get to the specific event is preferred to scrolling a list (i.e. think about holding a phone and using your thumb to navigate).[/QUOTE]
    Thank you for the explanation. I do most of my website time on my phone, but I see your point.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dawsonhughes View Post
    Stay tuned for exciting announcements about the future plans for the future of the USMS forums and expanded functionality during the last few month of 2018 and beginning of 2020.
    I really hope you mean the last few months of 2019.
    --Mike Tyson (yes, my real name)

https://blogs.marathonswimmers.org/ironmike/

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by mjtyson View Post
    I really hope you mean the last few months of 2019.
    I do. Thanks for catching the typo.
    Dawson Hughes, CEO
    U.S. Masters Swimming

Participating Member

I filled out the survey already, but yesterday I was reading the forums and had some more thoughts on why people aren't participating on this forum as much.
    As I read older threads that had been recently revived (one was 15 years old!), it's impossible to find the actually helpful information in any of the replies as none of the replies are threaded. In multiple posts, I had to wade through pages and pages of fatphobic comments, bad faith arguments, and what could at best be described as irrelevant banter hoping that any one commenter might actually have helpful information related to the original poster. If someone reading it could just collapse those side conversations, you might find people more willing to engage on the forums. Upvoting would be a great way to let those relevant conversations rise to the top as well.
    People here are saying forums as social media are a dying breed, but reddit is doing great and has both those features. Ask A Manager has both excellent comment moderation policies and some of those commenter features too.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by polka_stripes View Post
    As I read older threads that had been recently revived (one was 15 years old!), it's impossible to find the actually helpful information in any of the replies as none of the replies are threaded.
    Threaded views is an option that you control for your account. Go to Forum Actions > General Settings > Thread Display Options and select Threaded as your Thread Display Mode.

Very Active Member

I seem to have joined this forum at a time when sustained, in-depth discussion, with complete sentences and paragraphs, appears to be going the way of the Dodo, in our twitterized Trumpified world.

Many once thought that books would disappear. I suspect that forums will make a comeback.
    Current PRs: 25m-:16.8/50m-:36.3/100m-1:20.0/200m-2:55.5/400m-6:15/800m-12:50/1600m-26:37.

My main swimming goal: Sub6min 400m by the end of 2019.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dammit Jim View Post
    Threaded views is an option that you control for your account. Go to Forum Actions > General Settings > Thread Display Options and select Threaded as your Thread Display Mode.
    Okay I just did this, and threading is even WORSE. I have to click on each reply and hope it's relevant as I wait for the page to load it....this is not at all what I meant.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123