Thread: Swim teams in Europe

Participating Member

Swim teams in Europe

Hello! I'm spending a couple of months traveling through Europe, and was wondering whether Europe has anything like USMS or a way to find teams to train with. Specifically, I'm visiting all of the EU countries, mostly larger/capital cities. Although I've swum in pools on my own in England, France, Spain, Hungary, Finland, and Latvia (so far), I haven't found any swim groups yet. Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

Re: Swim teams in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Alliswim View Post
    Hello! I'm spending a couple of months traveling through Europe, and was wondering whether Europe has anything like USMS or a way to find teams to train with. Specifically, I'm visiting all of the EU countries, mostly larger/capital cities. Although I've swum in pools on my own in England, France, Spain, Hungary, Finland, and Latvia (so far), I haven't found any swim groups yet. Thanks in advance!
    Whenever I travel anywhere, I go to www.swimmersguide.com to look for pools. It's the single best compendium for pools globally (and infinitely better than the new and unimproved pool/club finder on USMS). If there's a Masters team that trains at a pool (or similar adult group), it will generally be listed. In my experience, the Masters swimming concept is pretty well-developed in the big Commonwealth countries, but less so elsewhere. Google's also a good secondary, if less focused, search tool for pools.

Blog Entries

Well, they are having the European Masters Championships right now, so I imagine they must have some kind of Masters infrastructure! I don't know how their organization might differ though. I'd start with each country's federation website. On the German site, for example, there's a section for Masters Swimming that has a Club Finder on the left side of the page... I don't know what "PLZ Suche" or "Ort Suche" means though.

http://www.dsv.de/masterssport/schwimmen/
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    Whenever I travel anywhere, I go to www.swimmersguide.com to look for pools. It's the single best compendium for pools globally (and infinitely better than the new and unimproved pool/club finder on USMS). If there's a Masters team that trains at a pool (or similar adult group), it will generally be listed. In my experience, the Masters swimming concept is pretty well-developed in the big Commonwealth countries, but less so elsewhere. Google's also a good secondary, if less focused, search tool for pools.
    That's very helpful. Thanks! I used it to look up a couple of pools and correct an outdated listing. It's a really neat resource.

Participating Member

Thanks, JPEnge!

googling 'town name' + 'masters swimming' usually throws up relevant websites with info of varying levels of 'up to datedness'

Its usually a good start for those 'out of town' swimmers.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trondi View Post
    googling 'town name' + 'masters swimming' usually throws up relevant websites with info of varying levels of 'up to datedness'

Its usually a good start for those 'out of town' swimmers.
    I've googled it, and found nothing relevance. Does that mean I'm out of luck?