Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Spring Nationals Information

Re: 2019 Spring Nationals Information

Are there any scratches on the day of? feeling super nervous about one of my events...

Very Active Member jim clemmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JSC910 View Post
    Are there any scratches on the day of? feeling super nervous about one of my events...
    Hi Jordan. No, there isn't for your particular slate of events. 50's, 100's and 200's are all pre-seeded.

If you're still feeling apprehensive before the event, just don't swim it. We'd rather you have an overall positive meet experience than have you feel that you have to do something you're not comfortable with doing.

I'm imagining though, that by the time the event arrives, you'll have gotten over your concerns and will just hop up on that block and take off.

Jim Clemmons
    Championship Committee Chair

Quote Originally Posted by jim clemmons View Post
    Hi Jordan. No, there isn't for your particular slate of events. 50's, 100's and 200's are all pre-seeded.

If you're still feeling apprehensive before the event, just don't swim it. We'd rather you have an overall positive meet experience than have you feel that you have to do something you're not comfortable with doing.

I'm imagining though, that by the time the event arrives, you'll have gotten over your concerns and will just hop up on that block and take off.

Jim Clemmons
    Championship Committee Chair

You are the absolute best. I appreciate it. I am certain I can finish it (200 FR) but the pain of that last 50 is getting bigger by the day in my imagination. I am super excited and definitely looking forward to sunshine.

...the pain of that last 50 is getting bigger by the day in my imagination.
    Jim has given you very good advice!

Also, remember that everyone else in that 200 heat will also be feeling the "pain" of the last 50 as well. Think how good you will feel when you finish!
    Glenn Gruber

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Jim has given you very good advice!

Also, remember that everyone else in that 200 heat will also be feeling the "pain" of the last 50 as well. Think how good you will feel when you finish!
    Thanks! I'll be curious, I do USRPT as I believe you do but took 11 days off about a week ago for a trip to italy and that time away is what has me debating things. I do mostly sets for 100's and occasionally for 200's. I don't totally have the confidence that this training will support a 200FR that doesn't involve total technical and physical fall-apart. On the other hand- it is a good time to find out!

I have been doing USRPT exclusively, 5 days a week since 2014. Most people have the mistaken idea that USRPT is only for sprints, because it says "ultra short" in the title. Nothing can be further from the truth. I believe it is actually better for distances of 200 and above. I started training for the 400 freestyle in September of 2014 and in March of 2015 I broke the 400 free SCM record in the 65 - 69 age group. I had never, ever broken a record before.

When people tell me that they do USRPT, I assume that they are doing it like I do it which is each set to failure at my target pace time. Turns out that people have many different interpretations about what USRPT is. If you have not already done so go to www.coachsci.sdsu.edu This is Dr. Rushall's Swimming Science Bulletin. Everything written about USRPT can be found there.

Trust your training and go to the meet with the idea of enjoying each and every race. After 40 years of competing in USMS I still get nervous before a race...but once I hit the water, regardless of the outcome, I feel at home in the water and it feels good.
    Glenn Gruber

Blog Entries

Anyone can no-show for any events. I've only swum and volunteered at one national meet, a long time ago, and I remember empty lanes.

That was my first thought when I saw myself in an end lane, in a heat with guys ~30+ seconds faster. I'd much rather be a faster person in a slower heat than a slower person in a faster heat. Oh well, it isn't the end of the world if I don't swim it.
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Blog Entries

Yeah, you often get to Sunday afternoon and see heats with more no-shows than swimmers. If you want to optimize your event placement swimming the last few events of the meet is probably a good strategy!

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    Yeah, you often get to Sunday afternoon and see heats with more no-shows than swimmers. If you want to optimize your event placement swimming the last few events of the meet is probably a good strategy!
    Just trying to optimize getting out of the pool! Just kidding... kind of... it totally makes sense to just DO the event, enjoy it and learn from it.

My thoughts are that "older " swimmers don't like to get up for the 7:30 am events. Will this work?? Stay tuned!

Blog Entries

I hope everyone is rested and ready to go. I'm starting to get pretty antsy!

Good luck everyone and see you at the pool!

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    I hope everyone is rested and ready to go. I'm starting to get pretty antsy!

Good luck everyone and see you at the pool!
    YES! currently trying to figure out how to not become totally sunburnt and dehydrated in the desert. See everyone there!

Blog Entries

Even though it's tempting to stick around the pool for the whole day, my advice is to return to your hotel whenever possible. It's a big meet so you'll often have hours between events and with the live stream it's easy to see how the meet is progressing.

I want to thank everyone that work & timed & ran the 4 day meet.
    If you have never been to a National meet, you are missing something from your swimming life!
    I swam 6 individual events & 2 relays that taught me how to accept my age [ 73 ] & speed both going up!
    The comradeship of my fellow swimmers raised my expectations of my dropping self esteem to help me.
    Many of the swimmers i did not know but, they cheered me on anyhow!
    With a lot of effort & lots of luck !!! I finished with 6 medals in 6 individual events!

Blog Entries

Ditto what you said, Oz! I had fun despite not swimming my best. I had a couple pretty good swims, and a couple I'd rather forget about, but it's still fun to get in and race and talk to lots of people from all around the U.S. and abroad. Due to only swimming two days I did quite a few off events, but did manage top ten places in both the 500 free and 200 fly.

Thank you to everyone associated with hosting this meet. What an efficiently run meet! From the management of the parking and registration, to the actual efficiency of keeping the meet moving. Quite an accomplishment given the size of the meet. Thank you!

My 200 FLY was slower by almost 60 seconds from 2 years ago!
    I now see why the Q times for the 75+ bracket are where they are!

Archived video from the first three days is available, but not from Sunday. Will it ever be?

Quote Originally Posted by ourswimmer View Post
    Archived video from the first three days is available, but not from Sunday. Will it ever be?
    Up now. Thanks.

Very Active Member jim clemmons's Avatar

Just trying to optimize getting out of the pool! Just kidding... kind of... it totally makes sense to just DO the event, enjoy it and learn from it.
    So...? How'd everything workout?
    Jim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast