Thread: Weird locker room incident

Weird locker room incident

This is getting filed under "weird locker room encounters." And mind you it's not my weirdest.

I don't like to carry shampoo/liquid soap in my pool/gym bag. I've just had too many occasions where the bottle leaks and shampoo gets all over everything. So, if whatever location I'm swimming at doesn't have soap dispensers...I go without and just take a good rinse in the hot shower. At my usual gym/pool...where this incident occurred today...they have soap dispensers in the restroom area of the locker room, but not in the shower stalls. So, before jumping in the shower, I'll go in the restroom area and get a handful of soap with several pumps from one of the dispensers. That's what I did today. But then, as I was lathering up in the shower stall, a white-haired octogenarian (who looked amazingly like my late father) whips the curtain open and says "Excuse me. I saw you getting soap from the dispensers...here, do you need to borrow my bar of soap?" Oh...no thanks. I'm all set. "Are you sure?" Yeah, I'm good (and thinking that I wouldn't 'borrow' a used bar of soap from a stranger anyway. I know...an old guy and he meant well. And, it is something that my late father himself would probably have done. But I just find it kind of 'ballsy' to go whipping someone's shower curtain open.

Dan

Very Active Member Redbird Alum's Avatar

Re: Weird locker room incident

Ah, Ha, ha, ha..... Indeed, this is one for the books! The shower scene from the Bates' Hotel comes to mind, given it's October!

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird Alum View Post
    The shower scene from the Bates' Hotel comes to mind...
    Yeah. I had thought that too. Of course this case was a nice old man, and not Norman Bates.

Dan

Blog Entries

Old guys in locker rooms provide both some of the weirdest and funniest moments in life ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    Old guys in locker rooms provide both some of the weirdest and funniest moments in life ...
    Our early 30s coach was dreading having to have a conversation with our 72 year old elder statesman about the latter not being allowed to walk around stark naked applying drying solution to his crotch on Saturdays when the 11-12 year old groups were around.
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

Quote Originally Posted by ForceDJ View Post
    But I just find it kind of 'ballsy' to go whipping someone's shower curtain open.

Dan
    You have shower curtains at your pool? We're lucky to have doors on the shitters! Can I say shitters?

Quote Originally Posted by VintageDirt View Post
    You have shower curtains at your pool? We're lucky to have doors on the shitters! Can I say shitters?
    There are actually two curtains per shower stall. An outer curtain where you step into and is a sort of little changing cubical, and then another inner curtain into the actual shower stall. Now I should mention that this is the fitness facility on a military installation. This new facility just opened up about five years ago. Everything is nice, new, and kept very clean. But the old facility I think pre-dated WWII. Those showers were a "come one, come all" out in the open, no dividers, no curtains.

Dan

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForceDJ View Post

... a white-haired octogenarian (who looked amazingly like my late father) whips the curtain open
    Dan

Maybe you looked amazingly like his son.

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post

Blog Entries

Oh, man, too true!!

Quote Originally Posted by swim_badger View Post

Blog Entries

A truth that applies across the board
    ..<))><

True --- maybe 'cuz we swam in the nude in H S gym class.. This seems to be a Chicagoland thing - I think!

Nah, my dad says swimming was nude at the Y when he was a kid in Maryland.

OK so us old guys are comfortable in our selves even though we are "over weight and balding"

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    OK so us old guys are comfortable in our selves even though we are "over weight and balding"
    I can only hope to one day have the sort of joie de vivre and absolute lack of f*cks to give that allows a person to strut around like they own the whole locker room

Not to "own the locker room" only my self awareness of not feeling as if it's "bad" to be myself. I M H O

Blog Entries

When I was a teenager I don't remember the level of locker room modesty that I see today. Sure, we still made fun of the old guys who wore their nudity like a badge of honor, but I also don't remember kids covering themselves with towels to change.

I think there's some cultural influence as well. The Russians & Germans I play hockey with, even the younger guys, are way more laid back than the American guys of any age. (My sources on the women's side of the gym tell me things are similar over there, it's more of a cultural than an age split.) Pool locker room - eh, I tend to use the pool at times when the gym is predominantly older folks and stay at home parents, so it's all nudity all the time. I don't remember the swim team lockers being especially naked, but would I have been paying attention?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    When I was a teenager I don't remember the level of locker room modesty that I see today. Sure, we still made fun of the old guys who wore their nudity like a badge of honor, but I also don't remember kids covering themselves with towels to change.
    Agreed ... except at the pool I swam at, one year the swimmers were so rowdy, we were banished from the 'real' locker room. They fabricated some 'swim team only' locker rooms under the bleachers that was a moldy, nasty place. We were in and out of those as quickly as possible.