Thread: Help get this feature added to Meet Manager

Participating Member Phillip Luebke's Avatar

Help get this feature added to Meet Manager

I submitted the following feature request to Active Hy-Tek today. Developers prioritize feature requests in different ways, but an isolated request to add a feature is not likely to go anywhere. If you agree that adding this feature will make your job easier (and make Meet Manager a better product), please condsider submmitting your own request at http://activesupport.force.com/hytek.../HytekWeb2Case.

I am the Top Ten and Records Chair for the Montana Local Masters Swimming Committee (LMSC). Every LMSC has one. We are responsible for managing records and assisting with USMS top ten lists, but most of our time is spent on getting results from sanctioned meets in our LMSC, processing them and uploading them to the USMS database.

In Montana, we usually only have one masters-only meet each year, which means that most of the meet results that I have to process and upload to the USMS database are for dual-sanctioned (all ages) meets. Since USMS does not want non-members added to their database, all Top Ten and Records Chairs across the U.S. have to do a crazy workaround, detailed at http://www.usms.org/admin/lmschb/gto...s_swimmers.pdf.

There are three main problems with this workaround (maybe more):
    1) We have to *manually* change the team of each masters swimmer entered in the meet to a new, fictitious team, "USMS" within Meet Manager. The more masters swimmers there are, the longer this takes.
    2) After we export the results for the fictitious USMS team from Meet Manager and upload them to the USMS database, we have to reassign all the swimmers back to their real teams. Some of this is semi-automated through matching with the USMS membership database, but there is always some manual correction required.
    3) If there are any masters relays in these meets, they are lost through this workaround and have to be entered manually within the USMS database.

From my perspective, the addition of one small feature to Meet Manager would eliminate all of this ridiculousness: The ability to export masters-only results.

I know I'm just a user, and what sounds simple to me may be harder to actually implement in your code, but you already offer a variety of export options. How hard could it be to offer an option to export only results from masters swimmers, or an option to select multiple team results to export, so us volunteers can just export the masters teams? This simple change would literally save hundreds of hours of unnecessary work by USMS volunteers across the United States.

Your company and U.S. Masters Swimming both proudly proclaim on your websites that you are partners, but it doesn't really feel that way to me. If you were truly partners, you would try to understand the needs of USMS members and volunteers. As this example demonstrates, you either don't, or don't care to.

If you have other ideas about how to make this process easier, I'd be happy to speak with you about them. I am an experienced beta tester, and have even beta-tested meet management software before. You can reach me at MTtopten@usms.org or 406-600-2771.

Thanks for listening,

Phillip
    Thanks!

Phillip
    Phillip Luebke
    Top Ten & Records Chair
    Montana LMSC

Very Active Member

Re: Help get this feature added to Meet Manager

I agree, Phillip. Such a feature (just the ability to export results from more than one Masters team) would be very helpful for the dual-sanctioned and recognized meets that we have in our LMSC. I hope that you hear from Hytek.

Mary Pohlmann
    Top Ten Recorder Ozark LMSC
    Mary Pohlmann

Participating Member Phillip Luebke's Avatar

GREAT NEWS!!!
    Active Hy-Tek responded to my request right away and proposed an alternate solution that already exists within Meet Manager. I've been sick the past few days, so I wasn't able to try it out until tonight, but it worked great on the most-recent meet results I had to process. It only took me a fraction of the time and it preserved all of the relays.

Here are the instructions:
    1. In Meet Manager go to Set-up, Division/Region Names, Regions. There Add a region and call it something like Masters.
    2. Go to Teams and edit each Masters team - by selecting the Region for Masters in the Region drop down box.
    3. When you go to export results on that screen in the region drop down box select the Region Masters so that only those results are exported.
    I'd like all of my peers to try this out. If the consensus is that it's a better solutions than the current workaround, I'd be happy to put together full instructions with screenshots for distribution to all of the TT&R Chairs.

There are two scenarios that I have questions about:
    1. For clubs that have both USAS and USMS swimmers on their roster, do they all compete under the same club name and abbreviation at meets? If so, this solution doesn't work as well.
    2. Similarly with unattached swimmers, is it the norm to segregate USAS and USMS swimmers, or all they all lumped together in one unattached "club?" Again, if the latter, this solution won't work.

Let me know your thoughts!
    Phillip Luebke
    Top Ten & Records Chair
    Montana LMSC

Very Active Member

Thanks for sharing what you've learned. I do think that solution can work in many cases.

As for your two questions, I have often seen Masters swimmers lumped into the same club as their USA teammates, so this solution doesn't quite work for that.

But I have not seen USMS and USA lumped together as unattached, not that it can't happen.

It would be great if you could put together instructions for the region solution, since I'm sure many could use it. Doesn't hurt to have multiple methods. I'm sure we can add it to our tutorials.

Mary Beth

Very Active Member

That's great , Phillip. I'll try this for our one recognized meet in March to separate the USMS members from non-USMS members. I think it will also work if we have any dual-sanctioned meets.

Thanks for sharing this information.
    Mary Pohlmann