Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is one possible to train 80 km a week in working age?

Very Active Member

Re: How is one possible to train 80 km a week in working age

So a question for you uber long distance folks, probably mostly open water folks if any of you reading are in that category. What do you do about drinking while training? In one of my workouts "swim a 3,000 without stopping" was the main set. By 1500 yards I was parched. I just stopped at 2,000 because I desperately needed water. Was it the water temperature, or do y'all do something to stay hydrated?

Very Active Member

A story I heard about Jim McConica (first person to break 1:40 in the 200 Free) when he was training for the Catalina swim - he would do 200 x 200 on 2:30 for training sets. That is one day.

I know Jim and never asked him if the rumor was true, but I know I used to do 80 x 100 or 40 x 200 sets in training for 5 mile swims. Given what I would do, I don't doubt Jim did 200 x 200.

As stated in other posts - it is all about your motivation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
    So a question for you uber long distance folks, probably mostly open water folks if any of you reading are in that category. What do you do about drinking while training? In one of my workouts "swim a 3,000 without stopping" was the main set. By 1500 yards I was parched. I just stopped at 2,000 because I desperately needed water. Was it the water temperature, or do y'all do something to stay hydrated?
    A water bottle is part of my practice kit every day. I don't ever train long enough these days to warrant a refill, but I will finish a whole 32 oz. size gatorade water bottle every practice. And usually I fill it and drink it dry again on the way home. In college, I would go through at least 2-3 bottles of water (32 oz) in a 2.5 hour practice. Now it's 1 bottle in a 1-1.5 hour practice (3000-5000 yards).

Now all that is for pool workouts. If I was swimming open water in the ocean, I bet I would be way thirstier, and obviously hydrating when open water swimming is a little more difficult.

Very Active Member

Two comments about hydrating.

Personally, I never have a water bottle at practice - even when I did the "millennial" swim which was 2,000 laps of the pool (17 hours). For whatever reason, I don't need it. Water temp was 86 degrees. Funny though - even without drinking any water for 17 hours, I had to pee every 20 minutes by the end.

Having said, there have been times when, during a 5-10 mile race that I might sip the water I am swimming in (fresh water only). But, not very much.

I personally think people over hydrate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
    I hydrate prior to starting my swims, whether open water or pool. I do sets as long as 3000 without stopping and drinking up water prior is enough. And most pools I swim in are, unfortunately, at mid-80s. I've done 4 hour workouts in a pool without having to get out to pee. For those sets, I always bring a few water bottles and drink through them. I never have to pee during the swim (thankfully), maybe perfect symbiosis? But for the next 3-4 hours after the swim, I'm peeing every 20 minutes!

In open water I drink a ton of water prior to starting, and the beauty of that is I can pee whenever I want!
    Last edited by mjtyson; January 17th, 2019 at 11:46 AM.
    --Mike Tyson (yes, my real name)

https://blogs.marathonswimmers.org/ironmike/

Blog Entries

I'm with Mike above for the most part. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate before a long swim. I don't drink much for any 90 minute workouts, but more than that, I'll work through a bottle - more if the water is above 86.

Even with open water swims or "without stopping" practices, it's okay to do a quick swig here or there. The few seconds you take to slug down a swallow or two will help you more than slowly losing time as you bonk over the course of a long race. When I'm training in OW, I generally wear one of those floats that you can put your keys or water in. Or drag a bottle behind me. When doing long training at the pool, just sip when needed.

I'm not a huge fan of "straight through" more than about 2000 or so. To me, that turns into more mental training than physical. You can build endurance and speed by doing sets such as ladders or multiple 300s-500s. The Open Water and High Volume forum workouts both have good long sets to do to build up.
    Kari Kennedy

Very Active Member

I go through about 3/4 of a 32 oz water bottle per workout (3000 +/-500 depending on distance ot butterfly focus). But drink between reps, rather than before.

But one of the workouts didn't allow for stopping. Had never thought about how to stay hydrated when I couldn't stop until then. Was as much curiosity as anything.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    A friend of mine swam the Catalina Channel a couple years ago. Next time I see him I'll ask what amount of training he was putting in before he swam it.
    I asked him about this yesterday. He said the first year he was training for MIMS (swim around Manhattan) he was training over 40k per week, but he ended up getting shoulder tendonitis. The next time he cut back to about 36k and actually swam better. His advice was essentially to find the maximum your body (and schedule) will allow and make sure the long swims are easy.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure my body would collapse under 80k/week. I can get in seriously good shape for pool racing on 80k/month. Even 60k/month can get me into respectable racing shape. Of course I've never done long distance swim racing, but I could do a 400IM that I would be pleased with on <80k/month.

A possibly relevant experience though, I once participated in a 180+ mi road cycling race which took >9 hours to complete. When I first decided to do it, I looked up suggested training regimes. One suggestion was to ride 3x your race distance per week. That worked out to be closing in on 600 miles per week and I could see no way to fit that in around my work. Another suggestion was to train an average of 1/3 the race distance per day. Well 60 miles on a week day is tough to fit in with an 8+ hour work day, but 360/week, (figuring one rest day) seemed workable. I set out a schedule that was ~40/day Tu-Fr and century rides Sa&Su. That was quite workable and I was very happy with my performance in the race. So this is a long way of saying that I agree with knelson, "find the maximum your body (and schedule) will allow".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12