Thread: Indoor Pool Cancer Concerns

Indoor Pool Cancer Concerns

Hi guys this is my first posts.

Hi if this is not allowed please delete. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out a better outlet to ask this question, but I can't really think of anyone else (or forums) due to this community being around aquatic environments for long periods of time.

Hi guys I'm a LGI thats been guarding, teaching swim lessons, and lifeguard classes pretty consistently for over 8 years at an indoor pool. I spend about 25 hours a week around an indoor pool due to my job. I also enjoy swimming laps multiple times a week. Recently I have come across some articles linking chlorine exposure to bladder cancer. I would like to keep doing what I'm doing, but after reading this article I'm thinking about changing careers.

In the future I will talk to my doctor about it, but I would really like the community's opinion since we tend to be the ones exposed to these environments longer than most people. In the last month I have been experiencing frequent urination and get very lite stomach pain. Other than that I feel pretty normal (ocasionally i do have lower back, mostly due to a previous injury). Any opinon's on the matter would be great guys.

Thxs again

Here's one of the articles:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wel...wer/ar-AAzD9ga

Blog Entries

Re: Indoor Pool Cancer Concerns

I would have expected lung cancer to be linked more closely with overexposure to indoor pools!

My dad used to get angry with my mom that she had us swimming so much when we would come home with that hacking ďswimmer coughĒ from the chemicals in the water and air.

As I have gotten older Iíve begun to wonder if all the exposure when I was younger might end up coming back to bite me in the arse! However, I would say if you are very concerned about it, definitely switch jobs if it gives you the peace of mind. But just because you switch jobs doesnít mean you should stop swimming! Hope you would stick with that and feel better with a decrease in exposure.

For peace of mind, you might also ask someone in the know about your pool. How is it chlorinated? Iím not sure itís been banned, but gas chlorine and using liquid chlorine is sort of going out of style. That stuff IS caustic! Pools that use hypochlorite or just plain old NaCl may be safer by comparison.

Iíll close by saying the article you linked doesnít have a lot of science in it, just quotes and some common sense stuff for pool health and safety. Thatís not a criticism of you, just that I personally would like to see medical journal type stuff linking chlorine overexposure from pools to cancer. THEN Iíll start showing more concern!

Blog Entries

I mean, it's all relative, isn't it? If you switched everything and spent that time outside for example, you'd be exposing yourself to the biggest source of ionizing radiation in the solar system - the sun.

Just remember - by far the biggest risk factor for cancer is aging. Everything else (besides a few really nasties out there) is just marginal.
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

Very Active Member

As Calvin S mentioned, the article is not good. I "googled" a bit more. The original research was a sample size of 49 and they looked for compounds that might lead to cancer in people who swam. There was no research where the subjects were tracked for years and years for the occurrence of cancer and then factoring in how much time they spent at/in the pool.

And, while they did find an elevation in these possible carcinogenic compounds, they did not conclude that being in a pool environment would lead to an increased cancer risk.

There is more research about the cancer risks of drinking water that contains chlorine (and other chemicals), but that is a whole different situation than you are broaching.

in the end, another example of a free lance writer taking incredible liberties with what really happened and posting it as fact.

We who swim for decades are at water level closer to "bad air" than a guard that is standing or better yet elevated 8 feet up in a chair.

Very Active Member

Orca1946 -

Totally agree - have been breathing chlorine (or chloramines) or bad pH or bad alkalinity for about 19,000 hours over the years. What will be, will be....

Quote Originally Posted by Windrath View Post
    - have been breathing chlorine (or chloramines) or bad pH or bad alkalinity for about 19,000 hours over the years.
    Well that explains a lot
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine and not those of U.S. Masters Swimming.

If we live long enough, we seem likely to have more things attack us!