Thread: USA Meet Inclusion?

Question USA Meet Inclusion?

Should CMSA post "some" USA Swimming meets on the website with a way for Illinois Masters to participate as a team. Ex. Wheaton College Midwest Invitational, USA Zone meets, USA Open, etc. Maybe list the meets with a meet captain and contact info for those interested in participating.

Participating Member
    Hey Craig,

Great question. Our CMSA Spring 2002 Semi-Annual Meeting was last night and we discussed this very topic. Brian Cunningham will be getting back to me in a few days with one or two USA Swim Meets that we will communicate to everyone as "focus" USA Swim Meets for CMSA. This will hopefully encourage as many CMSA and Illinois Masters folks to participate together.

Additionally, we'll include a link to the USA Swimming site for folks who want to participate in other USA Swim Meets.

Look for this information soon on the CMSA website: http://cmsaswim.usms.org and in the July/Aug newsletter.

Again, thanks for asking. Have a great one,

Steve

Steve Young
    CMSA President
    steve1young@yahoo.com
    Steve Young
    CMSA President
    steve1young@yahoo.com

USA Meet Inclusion

If we are going make it easier to identify USS meets to participate in, we need to take the next step and provide the appropriate verifications necessary to swim in such meets. Many of the meets have qualifying times that require proof of time (long events often require pre-proof) and it is sometimes difficult to get teams to agree to accept proof of time from a Masters meet. Illinois Swimming's rule book does not permit the use of Masters meet results as proof of time (unless there is the separate "Time Verification"). Only the National meets provide an opportunity to get a time verification currently, perhaps someone needs to look into what must be done to at least make the times from the State meets acceptable.

Below is what is provided in the National meet info regarding Time Verifications:

Time Verification (formerly OVCs)
    Swimmers needing verification of time(s) or who wish their time(s) to be entered into the USA Swimming National Times Database (for entry into USA-S national meets) should complete a form at the meet and prior to the swim. Contact the Admin. Referee:
    Anneliese Eggert
    (707) 664-4247
    e-mail: aeggert@worldnet.att.net

Thumbs up USA Swim Participation

Central Masters Swimmers,

I would be interested in swimming in some of the USA Swim Meets. I think it will provide better competition at both ends of a swimming spectrum. I was interested in doing this in 2002, but when I confronted an official at an age goup-USS meet at UIC, he shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't know about that", but he said it brought up an interesting point. He said to talk to some other official at the table, which I did, and he said "I think all you have to do is join us swimming or uss", but somehow I don't think that is all there is to it....do you? Would there be an age restriction?

Has anyone heard any updates about this swim madness? Be sure to clue me in on any leads to to the situation.

Later,
    STROKESTROKE

As long as you are a USAS member I see no reason why you could not swim unless the age group is restricted such as 17-18 year olds. If there is a "Open" age group or one that says "Senior" then it is open to anyone including 8 and unders. I've seen quite a few coaches swim in meets. Not saying that it doesn't cause a hubbub but it is legal. You may have to check the meet information to see if there is an age limit. If it is not in the meet information it cannot be added in at the last minute.

USA Requirements

I swam at Wheaton College last February for the Midwest Invitational. It was a prelims/finals format. All it required was a "USA Open" sanction and a USA/Illinois Swimming Membership. It's just like USMS. As long as you're a registered/insured member, you qualify. My intent is to find a few meets with the senior kids or college DIII swimmers to prepare for USMS SC Nats. The competition was great and IM can certainly field a respectable team against the youngsters. Having done a p/f format, I recommend that only those serious about their training and times participate in this madness. It was tough to come back at night, and if you're going to cheese off some 12-18 year old's parents, you really should give them a good swim.

Participating Member Tim Hedrick's Avatar
    I swam a few USA/USS meets throughout the year, including a p/f meet. I was constantly aware that the parents didn't know what to make of me/us (there were a few of us Masters who did this).

Since I'm not real keen on swimming TWO 500 free's or 400 IM's in a day, I made sure to scratch the Finals if I did make the cut. This also allowed ALL of the youngsters to "rightfully" swim at night.

As far as competition is concerned, I remember back in the late 80's competing at the college of dupage state invitational or the like. Schools competing were Milikin, Wheaton, Augustana, North Central, as well as some NJCAA schools in the area. Its a fun meet and if my memory recalls....finals only. I'm not sure if invitational means teams are invited by the host team, or do we invite ourselves.

The plus here is FINALS only. We won't disengoggle any swimmer for a chance to swim at their best.

I will try to find out what the COD schedule is for the 2002/2003 year and relay my findings back to the group. See some of you at Big Shoulders.