Thread: Goggle magnification causes early flip turn and a missed wal

Participating Member

Goggle magnification causes early flip turn and a missed wal

Anyone else notice their googles make the wall appear closer than it really is? I use 2 different models of Speedo and they both do it. It is especially troublesome in a 50 free sprint and I have only gotten toes on the wall in 3 of my last 4 50s.

Blog Entries

Re: Goggle magnification causes early flip turn and a missed

This is one reason why I count my strokes.

Also, if you use the same kind of goggle all the time, you should get used to the particular distortion.
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

It might be the pool and not the goggles. As JPEnge says, you should eventually get use to the goggles if you wear the same kind consistently. When you change pools, however, the water depth, where the T and + are painted, the presence or absence of a bulkhead, the lighting, and other factors can change the apparent distance to the wall. At a meet it is especially important to warmup in the competition pool, ideally at race pace and in the lane in which you expect to race, to figure out the turn cues.

Participating Member

In all my years of swimming, I have never counted strokes in a race😬. I think it would be easier in a less frantic race than a 50 free, I think Iím too inconsistent in the start and breakout to rely on that. Iím usually racing in a pool Iím not familiar with which adds to the problem. Iíll pay more attention to the cross on the bottom, but some 50 meter pools are deep where they have the bulkhead in. Any tips on goggles would still be appreciated.

Blog Entries

I always botch my turns at SCY natatorium 50ís, especially 100ís, because the markings are everywhere, unfamiliar, and deep. Other factors, than goggles, that change turn dynamics are being shaved, suit, wedge, and adrenaline. Might be a good idea to practice 25ís + turns from the block when opened for warmups whenever you get the chance, wearing everything you plan on during the heats.

I wish I could count strokes and turn as expected like a swiss timing, but that requires precision

Blog Entries

The only goggle tip I can think of is to wear Swedes, because they don't really have any distortion.

Otherwise, again, the best advice I can think of for timing turns and finishes is to know your stroke count. Especially in 50s, you don't have time to think. It needs to be automatic.
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

Last year b4 Nationals I bought a pair of MP new goggles. They were so curved as to throw off every flip turn in my home pool that I was not even touching the wall with my toes on flips! I thought it might be me and had others try them with the same results. Some asked what R X the lens were. I returned them.

Participating Member

Iíll try the Swedes. I too missed a lot of turns last year in the SCY meet in the 50 meter pool, it was deep at the bulkhead end and you had to look up the see the wall.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Denizen View Post
    Iíll try the Swedes. I too missed a lot of turns last year in the SCY meet in the 50 meter pool, it was deep at the bulkhead end and you had to look up the see the wall.
    TBH you're just making my case that it's better to know stroke count than rely on pool architecture that might differ from lane to lane, much less pool to pool

I wear Speedo prescription goggles and haven't had problems with distortion, or at least I'm used to it.
    My experience has been that every pool is a bit different and I always try to practice some full-speed turns before a race.
    I generally don't trust the "T" on the bottom and take a peek at the wall, just to make sure where I am.