Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: underwater face-up with breath control

Blog Entries

Re: underwater face-up with breath control

I wonder if it has anything to do with your head position - the angle at which you have your head when you're doing this? I wonder if it makes a difference if you have your head back more (chin up) or if you are looking down at your toes more (chin down). I suspect that the angle may be contributing to it. It might be worth trying to push your chin up more to see what happens.
    Kari Kennedy

Participating Member

Dear people who answered me. I thank you for your answers.

First of all, I am very sure that my friends can do it as I see it with my own eyes. Guys, who don't even go swimming regurarly, only 3 times a year. I am very sure that most of the viewers of this topic can do it too, because I really realized a common characteristic among the people who can do it: They do everything to keep it a secret from others. I think this is very selfish and arrogant, and jealous behaviour. I have ALWAYS helped people in my life in things I was better at. So from now on, I don't believe in "Life gives you back what you give to other people". Not even COACHES wanna talk to me about this... I am serious. Someone cursed me....

Secondly, I am not expecting remote help. I am very grateful to each and every one of you paying attention to my topic and replying, because not a single coach or diving instructor I approached took me seriously. I am just HOPING, that someone ever experienced similar things as me during their practice and would share with me their points of view in this forum. But no expectations.

I have tried with every single head position. Even tried tilting back my head simultaneously and slowly underwater. I have experimented in a lot of ways, like blowing powerful bubbles and stopping, or decreasing the strenght of the bubble stream. But what I realize is that water just slips in. I mean, a little bit of it, just slips in and it's already in my throat.
    Varying the head position varies the water pressure as well, but those people who can do it, can do it in any head position. It looks like once you learn to balance in one position, you will be automatically able to balance in any other position... Like in this youtube video I'd you to show you. Here it says that once you get a touch of the "imaginary valve", you can control it anytime, anywhere.
    It's like if someone learns how to whistle really fast, it isn't really skill, it's rather luck. Same goes for learning to ride a bicycle, etc.

Here's the link:

In addition, if you like, you can freely type in the youtube search: "underwater face up challenge" and you'll see TONS of geek guys being able to go underwater face up, without any bubbles coming out of their nose (indicating that no water goes in, no air comes out)... When I asked them how they do that, they said they didn't know.

Believe me: My desperation wouldn't be so enormous, if there weren't so many people able to do this...

Blog Entries

Gotta hand it to you, this is the first time I've ever seen holding breath underwater portrayed as a conspiracy theory.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge View Post
    Gotta hand it to you, this is the first time I've ever seen holding breath underwater portrayed as a conspiracy theory.
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to breathe underwater, upside down OR right side up, while wearing a tin foil hat?

Participating Member

It has become a conspiracy to me at least :P

Btw I'm sorry, it was misunderstandable. I meant the viewers of the topic who did not post.
    Last edited by malipython; February 18th, 2019 at 04:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Dude I donít know what to tell you. Maybe find something else to do? Maybe itís just not to be. There are many more fun things to do in the pool that could be a lot less stressful for you.
    Kari Kennedy

Participating Member

Finally today, one of my biologist friends (whom I told about this the first time and he also saw my CT images) explained to me, that currently it is anatomically impossible for me to do this crap.

I am going to a breathing course called "Buteyko" which is known to heal allergy and adenoids and nose breathing... If it doesn't work out, I already have a doctor for septum surgery, because my septum deviance is too big and there is no balance between my two nasal passages... :-) Might as well have an adenoid surgery too, if the spray I got from the doctor turns out to be worthless.

I do not care how much it will cost. I won't be able to tolerate that I cannot do something that other people can easily do. I can't get over the fact. You are right, this is very stressful, but I just cannot control my feelings.

This was a big lesson for me, three weeks of neuropath misery, and finally it turns out that my failure is not because I'm a jerk.

Blog Entries

...... Seriously?

Dude. Really not that big of a deal.
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12