Thread: Cleveland Swim Club

Cleveland Swim Club

Could anyone tell me where the old Cleveland Swim Club pool was located? I remember you could see a CSC from the highway (what highway ?) and I believe the pool was 55 yards long? I'm sure this wasn't a dream!

Participating Member

cleveland swim club

The Cleveland Swim Club (summer) pool was in Richfield OH at the intersection of the Ohio Turnpike (Exit 11) and Route 21. You could see the Club from the turnpike. It no longer exists. A trucking company bought the property, filled in the pool and it is now an asphalt parking lot!!

If you go way back - we originally used the Fenn College pool which was on the 7th floor of the Fenn College building in Cleveland. Fenn is now part of Cleveland State Univ. (The late) Coach Bob Busby eventually became the AD at CSU. During his tenure CSU built a fabulous Natatorium which is named in his honor.

Probably more than you wanted to know

Participating Member

Re: Cleveland Swim Club

Yes the pool was 55 yards long which made figuring out seed times difficult. The pool also had very high end walls and the timers had to pull us out over the top to get us out of the water. Remember the meet when on the Sunday we arrived to find the pool only half full of water?! I think that was the last big meet held there.
    gloria britton

Thank you! I even asked Dave Abineri a few years ago and he didn't remember. I also remember what a hassle 55 yd times were. I swam for LESD then LKWD rec.

Participating Member

Smile Re: Cleveland Swim Club

I swam for LESD and LKWD rec! I then swam for LESD-west in Urban's pool. who are you? Dave Abineri was the coach at LKWD rec. When I switched back to LESD, Pete O'Dell was one of the [many revolving door] coaches. The highway is now the turnpike. I remember going thru Breksville to get to the pool. I also remember swimming in Fenn College pool. That was weird swimming on the 7th floor!
    gloria britton

I swam in Urban's backyard too. Never swam on the 7th floor though. I remember going to meets and hooking up with eastside LESD for relays. Weird swimming with people you don't workout with at that age. I'm Pam McGill.