Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie - afraid of signing up for Provincial Masters Meet.

Participating Member

Re: Newbie - afraid of signing up for Provincial Masters Mee

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S View Post
    7:09 in practice now and 6:40 in a meet in a month doesn't sound preposterous to me give your progress curve. There is no guarantee, but it is at least a plausible goal.

Tuesday is 200m day!! I swam 3:20 today, so I'm halfway to my 6:40 dream. My 200m progression over the last 5 Tuesdays = 3:56,3:41,3:31,3:26,3:20.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skuj View Post
    Tuesday is 200m day!! I swam 3:20 today, so I'm halfway to my 6:40 dream. My 200m progression over the last 5 Tuesdays = 3:56,3:41,3:31,3:26,3:20.
    How can you improve so fast? I'm stuck for many years already below your level, failing to improve my top-end speed while only making minimal progress in long distance.

May I ask what's your top speed of sprinting a single length (i.e. 25 m for 25 m pool, 50 m for 50 m pool) now? Have you got any improvement in it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miklcct View Post
    How can you improve so fast? I'm stuck for many years already below your level, failing to improve my top-end speed while only making minimal progress in long distance.
    It's because you overthink ev. re. thing. And consequently focus too much on minutiae.
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by miklcct View Post

May I ask what's your top speed of sprinting a single length (i.e. 25 m for 25 m pool, 50 m for 50 m pool) now? Have you got any improvement in it?

Pushing off the wall I did 25m lo19sec last week, but I'm dreaming of hi18sec this week!! (Thursday is 25m day!!) I struggled with 42sec 50m SC yesterday. I'm a math guy. I'm OCD about numbers. I take the WR (SC) time, and divide it by my time, and right now I seem to be 49% across the spectrum. But 49% in 25m/50m/100m is HARD, whereas 49% in 800m/1600m seems rather pleasant, so I'm sure I will tend towards longer distances later on.

I'm no expert, but I am sure there are some improvements you can make. The video thread was a great idea. There's got to be a book out there that can help you a lot. I quickly acquired 4 books, all quite different, which gave me some essential things to think about when trying to swim well. It was a good start. I know I will plateau soon. At some point I will need to bring out other cards from the deck. At this early stage though, I'm trying to figure out where the deck is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12