Thread: Just got some videos - need critique

Just got some videos - need critique

I've just get myself recorded for open water swimming - please tell me how bad I am. I'm targeting 5 km open water swimming competitions now.

https://youtu.be/tOJAdVtMzL8
    https://youtu.be/VvF1ShVZ4OA
    https://youtu.be/jV-MuOeTduA

Blog Entries

Re: Just got some videos - need critique

Not much to be seen from that distance and water opacity, but from what I can see it looks like your kick is detrimental to your balance. There isn't a ton of rhythm or drive to it. I'm not sure if that's because of the waves in the open water or if that's how it looks in the pool too.

The middle of the three vids is really the only one that offers much to see. Like JPEnge, I really only see issues with the kick. And since you're training for a 5k open water swim...IMO (which I think I share with others) you don't need a particularly strong kick for that long of a swim. You do however want to maintain a good, streamline position in the water. Personally, I only kick enough to 'feel' the surface of the water, and keep my body level. You seem to be doing that. But, in your case, you have a bit of a scissor kick happening. Try to concentrate on keeping your legs closer together as you kick.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ForceDJ View Post
    The middle of the three vids is really the only one that offers much to see. Like JPEnge, I really only see issues with the kick. And since you're training for a 5k open water swim...IMO (which I think I share with others) you don't need a particularly strong kick for that long of a swim. You do however want to maintain a good, streamline position in the water. Personally, I only kick enough to 'feel' the surface of the water, and keep my body level. You seem to be doing that. But, in your case, you have a bit of a scissor kick happening. Try to concentrate on keeping your legs closer together as you kick.

Dan
    Oh my god I haven't still got rid of that dreaded scissor kick since the coach told me this fact a few months ago.

I'll try to get some more OW videos the coming weekends if possible. This set of videos are actually my first set of OW swimming videos because I don't have any friends who swim with me, or even know swimming at all, and I just got someone on the beach to record it for me (those who swim regularly at that beach are elderly who don't know how to use a smart phone)