Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ethics, Sportsmanship, and the Quest for High Point

Re: Ethics, Sportsmanship, and the Quest for High Point

I'm originally from Northern California where the competition is astoundingly more robust than Arizona. I can regularly win the 1650 in almost any meet in AZ, but I would come in 3rd, 4th, or well below that in CA. In other words, placing is meaningless. I'm proud of the fact that I can swim faster than I did 10-15 years ago - I don't need a ribbon to make a race worthwhile. I think most Masters are about dropping time, but there are always those who just want the trophy, I guess.

What are we, 12? This is the silliest thing I've ever heard of. I don't pick up any of my awards unless they're functional (ie I once got a crate of strawberries) or unless I know I can donate them. What do you do with them? Your trophy room? Grow up.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amswimmer View Post
    What are we, 12? This is the silliest thing I've ever heard of. I don't pick up any of my awards unless they're functional (ie I once got a crate of strawberries) or unless I know I can donate them. What do you do with them? Your trophy room? Grow up.

Is your question directed to Webgal or the gal she is talking about?
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amswimmer View Post
    I polish my medals once a day (twice a day during taper to get myself psyched up). Being competitive isn't an indicator of maturity level. This seems a little tangential to the original post.

Also I always pick up my awards, even if I am going to toss them in the garbage later: no sense in causing a backlog of awards at the scorer's table, that would just be rude.

Blog Entries

Also:

ITT: My awards room in my house is larger than yours (and has more medals than yours). I also have a bigger trophy than you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S View Post
    (twice a day during taper to get myself psyched up)
    Dude! You'll break your taper doing that too much!

Also, I do have my Masters Nats medals from last spring hanging by my TV next to my wife's running medals.

And I got a cool little trinket thing for breaking the pool record in 100 IM last weekend :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge View Post
    Sorry forgot to say during taper my kids polish my medals for me...under my watchful eye.

Some people only compete against themselves, that's fine. Some people are motivated by racing others. That's fine too IMHO. If you've seen me at a meet you can guess which camp I'm in. This thread started over breaking the rules to win. Cheating to win is not winning and just demeans the cheater and hurts the competition.

I polish my medals once a day (twice a day during taper to get myself psyched up). Being competitive isn't an indicator of maturity level. This seems a little tangential to the original post.

Also I always pick up my awards, even if I am going to toss them in the garbage later: no sense in causing a backlog of awards at the scorer's table, that would just be rude.
    Also:

ITT: My awards room in my house is larger than yours (and has more medals than yours). I also have a bigger trophy than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge View Post

Also, I do have my Masters Nats medals from last spring hanging by my TV next to my wife's running medals.

And I got a cool little trinket thing for breaking the pool record in 100 IM last weekend :P
    Sorry forgot to say during taper my kids polish my medals for me...under my watchful eye.
    This is great! It reminds me of the good ol' days when That Guy and Jaadams1s used to keep us all entertained on here. That Guy was ! I miss him.

Getting back on subject, I bought one of these for some of my medals:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1260063.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	11894

This hangs in
    my home office above a book shelf where I have my trophies displayed. In addition to taking photos at meets (especially travel meets), I enjoy having these souvenirs as a reminder of an enjoyable experience; a nice keepsake. My favorite medal was from 2013 Summer Nationals in Mission Viejo, just 40 minutes south of where I grew up. The palm tree and surfboard remind me of home where my family is still located. The 2011 medal from Auburn flashes my memory back to Allen Stark and Seal Girl cheering me on in the 200m Breaststroke. He also broke the World Record in that same event, and I will never forget shooting video of that race and cheering him on. (Sorry, King Frog; I ruined your video with my screaming!)

Our forum moderator might remember when I swam my first open water swim in 2012, and signed up to do the 3K and 1K back-to-back with just a few minutes in between the two. I was so excited that I finished the 3K that I couldn't wait to go back in for the 1K! I turned right around at the finish line and joined the group in the water. I ended up winning medals in both races and was flying high. That medal represents one heck of a FUN DAY! The same goes for the Ironman Pentathlon our moderator ran (with cool trophies!), where I swam the 400 IM and 200's of each stroke in around two hours. I deserved that trophy, even though I was the only one in my age group to race it!

So, amswimmer, at 57, I guess I still haven't grown up in your eyes; and, I don't care. The medals and trophies represent great memories, and seeing them in my home office makes me happy. It also represents accomplishments that I enjoyed experiencing and that I am proud o
    f accomplishing.

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

"Hello? You play to win the game!"

- Herm Edwards

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

I did not realize all of this drama was right under my nose at the AZ state meet!

As a self-confessed high point whore I can sympathize with your plight. I try to pick events based on who I think may show up. As an example, last summer SW Zone meet in Mission Viejo. The entry clearly stated 800 or 1500 but not both. A bunch of people entered both as I would have done, if I weren't following rules. Not sure if they would have gotten away with the banned double, but I emailed the director. Psych sheets were out and theoretically the extra event was then allowed to be cherry-picked by the people who either couldn't read or were trying to get away with something. (Don't worry. I got my beloved high point towel!)

In my older days, I have become more philosophical. I wouldn't automatically assume nefarious motives by meet directors. I think some just want to increase meet participation and be flexible.

Very Active Member Redbird Alum's Avatar

Ahhhhh... Swim drama and the posing that goes with it. One reason I kind of dropped out of the competitive side, myself. That said, I still coach others, and find all the nefarious antics a bit juvenile, regardless of the ages involved.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gull View Post
    sandbagging and the use of performance enhancing drugs are unsportsmanlike, but I am in the minority.
    I like to enter freestyle events with freestyle times and then swim butterfly. Muahahahahahahahahahhaaa!

I like this thread. At our state championship meet last month our team won by a landslide. I thought that was cool. But the high point situation was just funny. Depending on the age group if you just enter & swim all the events you can you'll likely win high point. Depends on the scoring, of course, but volume seems to count for a lot.

I'm glad Masters has all the stuff like high point awards, national records and championships, and many levels of regional recognition. Some of us thrive on that stuff. Others don't. But whatever trips one's trigger I do hope that consistent rules of a meet are enforced and last-minute entry changes are not routine. The real fun of winning something is knowing you did it fair and square.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by webgal View Post
    She even found a way to skew an open water swim that I was in, but that's another story!
    I am simply DYING to hear about this. PM me if that is more appropriate. Pretty please.
    --Mike Tyson (yes, my real name)

https://blogs.marathonswimmers.org/ironmike/

Quote Originally Posted by Zwemmer View Post
    I'm glad Masters has all the stuff like high point awards, national records and championships, and many levels of regional recognition. Some of us thrive on that stuff. Others don't. But whatever trips one's trigger I do hope that consistent rules of a meet are enforced and last-minute entry changes are not routine. The real fun of winning something is knowing you did it fair and square.
    +1! That's what it all boils down to for me.

Have we heard for this meet's director on how or if this will be addressed in the future?

Blog Entries

For what itís worth, I outscored my brother at YMCA Masters Nationals this weekend, despite swimming fewer events and told him he owes me a drink for it. That will teach little bro to talk sht!

#HighPoint
    #StayRuthless
    Last edited by Calvin S; April 15th, 2019 at 12:23 PM.

I understand hard deadlines and believe hard deadlines should be enforced. However, in this instance they weren't. If an accommodation is to be allowed, it should come with the caveat that those entered after the deadline are ineligible for awards. USMS is all about being inclusive (and I believe in it too), but Nationals deadlines are hard deadlines so there is a limit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12