Thread: Swimming while on a Disney Cruise (to keep my sanity)

Blog Entries

Swimming while on a Disney Cruise (to keep my sanity)

Was wondering who here has experience being on a cruise (Disney in particular) and being able to still swim. Swimming keeps me mentally and emotionally grounded (something I will need when dragging a 3 year old and a 5 year old around for a week), which is why I don't want to give it up for the week I am away. I realize I can run for cardio in a pinch, but ideally I would like to hit the water a few times! I am all but certain swimming while on the ship will be out of the question (correct me if I am wrong here, those who have experience), but we spend a few days on the Castaway Cay Island. Anyone have experience swimming there? Pool? Open water? Good spots/best time to go?

I am indifferent to the whole cruise/vacation thing. I am really just there to chaperone my kids :P

Re: Swimming while on a Disney Cruise (to keep my sanity)

I don't have kids, so I don't do Disney Cruises...however, I have swum on several Regent and Cunard Cruises in their very small pools and have gotten great workouts where I have kept my conditioning. The key is to get to the pool VERY early, 5:00 or 5:30AM (but I do that at home anyway). The other key is I have made a tether that works very well. I use a web belt upon which I have attached a stretch cord (green) with a carabiner on both ends. One end connected to the web belt and the other end connected to the ladder or some other fixed metal piece. I also use a Tempo Trainer set at :30. It turns out to be just like a USRPT set. I swim as hard as I can for :30 then when the Tempo Trainer buzzes, I stop for :30, then swim again for :30. It works great.

The crew thinks I am nuts, but that's OK...I am.
    Glenn Gruber

I was going to mention the stationary swim tether that Glenn mentioned above. I have made impromptu tethers when staying at hotels with small pools (I've never done a cruise either). You could buy something like this pretty cheap. Only $17 on Amazon (link below picture). But as he mentioned...like in a hotel...getting in the pool at the right time is key. So you'll have to go at odd hours. And still...a contraption like this is gonna get you some strange looks.

https://www.amazon.com/XJunion-Stati...30704270&psc=1

Dan
    Last edited by ForceDJ; April 6th, 2019 at 04:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the ideas. I have a stretch cord w/ belt I could probably bring and attach to something and coil it up to add resistance.

Also would like to know though if there are some spots on the island that I can open water swim if need be. Don’t want to be molested by boats, jet skis, or lifeguards who think I’m crazy and can’t take care of myself!

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ForceDJ View Post
    I was going to mention the stationary swim tether that Glenn mentioned above. I have made impromptu tethers when staying at hotels with small pools (I've never done a cruise either). You could buy something like this pretty cheap. Only $17 on Amazon (link below picture). But as he mentioned...like in a hotel...getting in the pool at the right time is key. So you'll have to go at odd hours. And still...a contraption like this is gonna get you some strange looks.

https://www.amazon.com/XJunion-Stati...30704270&psc=1

Dan
    This is great, Dan! I just added it to my "Wish List" for my next purchase. I really could have used it here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	310.2 KB 
ID:	11895

http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

Elaine, are you quite sure that pool is even long enough for an adult human to be horizontal in?

Quote Originally Posted by swim_badger View Post
    Elaine, are you quite sure that pool is even long enough for an adult human to be horizontal in?

Actually, it wasn't!
    This was at a rental cottage on Sanibel Island, Florida. I got in some great open water swims instead.

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

Reading "in ground pool" and getting that is sort of like reading "on site cafe" and finding two vending machines in a back hallway.

Blog Entries

Reading "in ground pool" and getting that is sort of like reading "on site cafe" and finding two vending machines in a back hallway.
    One of my all time pet peeves is places advertising their “Olympic size pool” and it’s really just a small hole filled with water. I make sure to remind hotels of this when they advertise for the Olympic size pool: “where is your 50 meter pool? How many lanes? Etc.”

My summer club back when they first built their website advertised their Olympic size pools (plural!). I was like, “you guys HAVE to correct this. Neither pool is Olympic size.” (Although the lap pool WAS an 8 lane 25 meter pool).

People just toss that phrase around like a buzz word. I guess they figure it will get people to come, assuming that they won’t ever check out the pool anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    This is great, Dan! I just added it to my "Wish List" for my next purchase. I really could have used it here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	310.2 KB 
ID:	11895

Actually I just ordered one too. I didn't actually have a tether previously. I just usually made an impromptu one with a length of rope and a belt, etc. But wifey and I are travelling more these days for her work...and I figured I'd have one just to throw into my travel workout bag so that I can use the hotel pools for a swim.

Dan

Actually, they had a photo of the "pool" in their Airbnb listing, and I just laughed! I knew I wouldn't be using it, because I wanted to do open water swimming and use the island's recreation center pool. The rental ended up being great!

Having said that, I know exactly what you are talking about. The term "Olympic-sized pool" is also WAY overused and VERY exaggerated!

Blog Entries

For OW swims it is important to be prepared. Review satellite imagery of area beforehand. Most of the time these resorts will have a good 200-300m roped off for swimming. It is not recommended to venture out beyond, there are hazards, especially from boats (dragging an inflatable buoy for visibility good to have), obstacles, or critters.

Most importantly, enjoy the time with your children, they grow up fast.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    For OW swims it is important to be prepared. Review satellite imagery of area beforehand. Most of the time these resorts will have a good 200-300m roped off for swimming. It is not recommended to venture out beyond, there are hazards, especially from boats (dragging an inflatable buoy for visibility good to have), obstacles, or critters.

Most importantly, enjoy the time with your children, they grow up fast.
    I'm a stay at home dad, I already spend a lot of time with my children :P

Thanks for the OW tips. I haven't swam in a non-pool in probably 7 years, and haven't done an open water ocean swim since probably Junior year training trip (2005-2006). I figure I will have an area where I can avoid being bothered by boats. Looks like a large portion of the southern part of the island is roped off. Only other hitch is determining how far I swim. Hopefully there is a marker to at least give me a distance. I don't have the electronics to monitor distance. I suppose I could use google maps to just measure distances from one side of the swimming area to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S View Post
    Only other hitch is determining how far I swim. Hopefully there is a marker to at least give me a distance. I don't have the electronics to monitor distance. I suppose I could use google maps to just measure distances from one side of the swimming area to the other.
    Cal -- Here's my suggestion...and what I did before I began using a waterproof GPS watch (that I put on the crown of my head under my swim cap). Download an app to your cell phone that will use the phone's GPS capabilities...such as Strava (it's free). When you get to the beach...pick out a landmark for your start/finish that will be easy to see from the water. From that point...start the app. Then, walk down the beach and at every quarter-mile...or 'whatever' meters if you choose to use that measurement...find a landmark and make a mental note of the landmark and distance. In other words...walk 100 meters. Note that you're at the "towel cabana" for example. Walk to the 200 meter mark. Note that you're at the refreshment cabana for example. Etc, etc.

One other piece of advice I'd offer...before you take off for your swim...get in and just float around for a few minutes. Take note of any currents, tide, wind, and other weather conditions. If you don't, you could swim a half-mile down the beach in 'record time' only to discover that you have to swim back against a strong current. It might be worth it for you to do just a little online research (or ask locals) about currents at the specific beach where you'll be.
    Have fun.

Dan

Blog Entries

Thanks dan! I actually used google maps to measure distances around the “snorkeling lagoon.” Have basically a roughly 1.2 km “triangle” I mapped out which I plan to try and use. Basically swim along the short side of the lagoon, from shallow (read beach side) to deep side (the edge of lagoon that borders open ocean). Then up the length of the lagoon, then cut through the lagoon (the “hypotenuse” of the triangle) back to the starting point.

I’m guessing there won’t be too much current as this is the area for free swimming and snorkeling excursions (which as far as I can tell aren’t led by boat, there should be little or no boat traffic). But I will be sure to “test the waters” first!

Blog Entries

If you venture out into the open water, use bright caps, and consider one of those inflatable visibility buoys to drag behind you. They’re about $30 and can save you from fishing and recreational boats. You won’t even notice it while swimming.

Blog Entries

@Calvin, please come back to this post and let me know your experience. I too will be on a Disney Cruise in summer and I was already assuming that I won't be swimming for the 10 days I am out there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ssumargo View Post
    @Calvin, please come back to this post and let me know your experience. I too will be on a Disney Cruise in summer and I was already assuming that I won't be swimming for the 10 days I am out there.
    Will post a full update. I probably won’t be able to blog any workouts I do that week, but check that too I may be able to post real-time updates.