Thread: Return to form after a week off

Very Active Member

Return to form after a week off

For those who train several days a week, how long does it typically take to return to form after taking one week off from swimming? I recently went on vacation and wasn't able to train and must now build back what was lost over the week off. I generally train 5 or 6 days a week, 3500-4000 per day. I've taken weeks off in the past and based on my experience it appears after one week back I have my feel for the water, after two weeks I'm roughly 80-90% to where I was, then by the third week close to 100%. Interested in hearing what others experience. For reference, 44 years old. thx

Blog Entries

Re: Return to form after a week off

Quote Originally Posted by DanSad View Post
    For those who train several days a week, how long does it typically take to return to form after taking one week off from swimming? I recently went on vacation and wasn't able to train and must now build back what was lost over the week off. I generally train 5 or 6 days a week, 3500-4000 per day. I've taken weeks off in the past and based on my experience it appears after one week back I have my feel for the water, after two weeks I'm roughly 80-90% to where I was, then by the third week close to 100%. Interested in hearing what others experience. For reference, 44 years old. thx
    Ten years younger than you, but I find it takes me 2-4 days to get my full feel for the water back, and then usually within the week I am back to 100%. Now this is based off taking ten days off for a Disney cruise back in May, and I was coming from doing about 22-25k a week. I DID swim twice on the cruise, but once was in the hotel pool (about 1000 meters), and once was open water at the Disney private Island (about 2k). Neither qualified as much of a practice. I raced the Saturday afternoon after I flew back into town (late Friday night), and went a pretty solid 4:43 400M FR (at the time my lifetime best was 4:39.9). By Wednesday the following week it felt like I hadn't missed a beat.

Blog Entries

It gets worse as you get older ... still looking for my form from May 2018 ... 50-something is definitely not the new 30-something.

Very Active Member

I initially read this as "Return to forum after a week off".

I believe in this rule: Whatever time you had off, double that time "on" to be back to where you were. (Whatever age you are, whatever your normal "on" is.)

Thoughts?
    M-50m, T-200m, W-800m, T-25m, F-100m, S-400m, S-1600m.

My main swimming goal: Sub6min 400m FS/SC by April 2020.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skuj View Post
    I initially read this as "Return to forum after a week off".

I believe in this rule: Whatever time you had off, double that time "on" to be back to where you were. (Whatever age you are, whatever your normal "on" is.)

Thoughts?
    There's an exponential in there after you turn 50, in my experience

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    There's an exponential in there after you turn 50, in my experience
    Patrick, I find your whining unseemly from my perspective

Blog Entries

If you're laying on the beach all day hammering cold ones and stuffing yourself with pizza, donuts, hot dogs & burgers, etc. it might take longer than 1 week But, that's a vacation!

I agree with Rich, 65ish+ makes 50 seem easy. And Patrick, Entropy and Gravity clearly have exponential effects.
    Some guys they just give up living and start dying little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up and go raciní in the street. (Bruce Springsteen, 1978)

Very Active Member

Sixty is the new fifty-nine and a half.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Abrahams View Post
    Patrick, I find your whining unseemly from my perspective
    Point noted. I'll stop whining and get back to practicing!

Blog Entries

Took about 16 months off for shoulder reasons but I did manage to do kick only swims a few times or less a week. Once back, I swam about 4 times then entered a meet:
    50 bk +3.78
    50 br +3.67
    50 fr +2.75
    100 fr +5.20
    100 br +8.59

Blog Entries

For my past few vacations, I've planned the trip so I could still get in at least a little swimming. I've found that even if I swim 2-3 times a week, it isn't nearly as bad to get back to normal when I return home.

Heck, last year I spent 2-1/2 weeks in Australia. I probably swam more then than I normally do. There are fantastic, inexpensive 50m pools nearly everywhere it seems.

For some past trips to London, I was probably closer to the 2-3x week, including some with a team and some open water (in season).
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Very Active Member

Sadly, my time off is almost never caused by vacation. On the upside, my illnesses aren't lasting 2-3 weeks. 😁 I just turned 33 and it takes me maybe a couple of swims to get back to pre-break form? But I don't swim nearly as often as most of you, right now only 3-3.5 miles a week. Perhaps that has an effect.

Very Active Member

I'm about your age (45), and unfortunately had periods where I miss. And my recovery is very similar to yours. And it seems like every time I get back up on the horse, I have a delay. Kids' LSC championship this past weekend made me miss 5 days. We have Futures next weekend, that'll probably take at least 4. Basically my whole Summer has been shot, I'll probably be lucky to be back in form by mid October......about the time we'll have to go who knows where for Fall Break.

Very Active Member

OP here. Thanks for all the responses. Itís now three weeks since the week off for July 4th so I thought Iíd share my findings. Overall the past three weeks have mirrored my prior experiences with coming back after a week off and I felt very close to the levels of performance I outlined in the initial post. One additional observation, during the first week back I do notice extra energy. As noted the times are slow, but Iím able to complete long sets, due to the week off allowing the body to recover from heavy training.

Agree with several of your responses, age matters.

Also, a few related comments on making a point to swim a day or two while on vacation Ė Iíve only done this once and yes it reduces the ramp up time significantly.

In my 30s, so I'm the youngster of the group, but I've found the 1:2 ratio works out pretty much spot on for me for up to 2 weeks out, but the recuperation math gets fuzzy after that. I was out for about 6 weeks due to shoulder issues a couple years ago and it took me 4-5 weeks to get back into it, really not much longer than it took me to get back into it after taking 2 weeks off at the end of the summer before heading back indoors for the fall season.