Thread: F I N A swims 2019

F I N A swims 2019

It amazes me that swimmers now can break old "full tech suits "swims! I have been watching the nightly swims and see the effort being put into training for the events and the results. I'm not sure of some of the dq calls but, I'm not a ref at the meet. Sorry that Katie has been sick. I would have liked to see her 1,500 free swim.

Blog Entries

Re: F I N A swims 2019

Iím impresses as well. Iím also amazed at some of the 13-yeR old girls qualifying for OT cuts. Iím also glad to see Ledecky finally has an equal. She needed that.

Blog Entries

I donít know that she has an equal as much as she was waaayyy off her normal with being sick. The Italian girl really fought for it but it was incredible to watch Katie dig deep on the 800 this morning. Wow!
    Kari Kennedy

Katie L looked just ok in the 800 heats. I hope a day or so will help her back to better form & endurance.

She finally made her way back with a last lap push ti get herself into the medals!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    It amazes me that swimmers now can break old "full tech suits "swims!
    I am suspicious that the suit manufacturers can now make "fabric" suits that are just about as good as the 2008-era tech suits.
    They are still limited in coverage now, but if you feel some of the new suits they sure feel very "tech".

Related observation: MP wore leggings, not a full body suit, for his fly events at the 2008 Olympics. At 2009 Worlds he wore a speedo, not the rubberized Jaked that took out so many records. (Note his lane-line sitting, suit-stretching celebration after the 100 fly.) Those are two of the tech suit records to fall.

The 2009-era rubberized full-body suits are still substantially more advanced though. Biederman's 200 FR record is safe for now.

not F I N A but, the nationals comment. The winner of the 200 men's breast did an obvious full dolphin kick at the finish if the race and the tv commentators said nothing!!
    If such a kick is seen and not called here - how was Lilly dq'ed for non simultaneous hand touch after video review???

Blog Entries

I'm not sure if what Reece did was technically a full dolphin kick - it's kind of up to interpretation, but I don't really think he had a downbeat before he touched the wall. It's legal to take just an arm stroke into the turn/finish in breaststroke.
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge View Post
    I'm not sure if what Reece did was technically a full dolphin kick - it's kind of up to interpretation, but I don't really think he had a downbeat before he touched the wall. It's legal to take just an arm stroke into the turn/finish in breaststroke.
    I agree, I just watched the race several times and did not see a downward dolphin kick. He threw in an extra pull at the end, which is legal(as long as there there is a kick after the prior pull.) They say, finish on a full stroke, which is usually faster, but sometimes you are a little far from the wall and that extra pull can make the difference.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I agree, I just watched the race several times and did not see a downward dolphin kick. He threw in an extra pull at the end, which is legal(as long as there there is a kick after the prior pull.) They say, finish on a full stroke, which is usually faster, but sometimes you are a little far from the wall and that extra pull can make the difference.
    When you're 6'9" like Reece is, I'd guess you get stuck in between stroke more often than most :P
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

At 6-9 he must have a really long reach!