Thread: Question for Marathon swimmers

Hybrid View

Question for Marathon swimmers

I have a question for marathon swimmers...
    I've been prepping for a 10k swim that I'll be doing this coming Saturday. I live in coastal southern New England. I really began training in late Feb or Early March by doing longer pool swims. Once the open waters warmed up enough for wetsuits, I moved outside in late May/early June. I completed a full 10k+ with my kayaker today and practiced feeding/drinking him. I feel ready. In the future, I'd like to maintain fitness for doing swims of this long, and longer. But my question is...how do you maintain fitness for doing swims of this distance through winter? I just don't know if I can handle six months of long pool swims.

Dan

Blog Entries

Re: Question for Marathon swimmers

Morning Dan! When I'm training and trying to stay in decent shape for training, I try to get in 4500-5500 on a long weekend swim consistently, just to keep the endurance up. If you're able to do that, you should have shorter ramp-up period for next spring's events. There are a few workout forums that have good distance workouts that help get that mileage in and break it up in good chunks. Or you can piecemeal some together to make it work for you.

Good luck on your race next weekend! Let your arms/body relax as much as possible this week. Just keep loose.
    Kari Kennedy

Very Active Member

Dan,

How long did your 10K swim take? That will be part of the determining factor.

It is not necessary to do alot of non-stop swims as you lead up to 10K or longer. BUT, you do have to put in the volume. When I was training for 10Ks, most of my regular practices were 5-6,000. I would do a longer practice every other week (20 x 400, 40 x 200, 80 x 100) taking only 15-20 sec rest between repeats. This was more than adequate to have my body ready for the distance. You can also do timed swim sets like 4 x 30 minutes w/ 1 minute rest which mirrors your feeding times as well.

Then, 1x per month, I would do a 2 hour non-stop swim (my 10K time was around 2:20 at the time). This worked even for the 15K swim I did back in 2011.

If you can find someone to do these with, it will be easier and more enjoyable.

Good Luck this next week.

Wind and Fly...thanks for the responses. During the cold weather, I did do several of the type of workouts that Wind suggested...4x2000m, 4x :30 minutes, etc....drinking/eating and resting no more than a minute between. It's just those non-stop 5k+ swims in the pool are more a of mental test than endurance test. My 10k yesterday (7/28) was a bit over 3-hours. Time in the open water seems to fly by. Not so much in the pool. Maybe in the pool (winter) I should just swim intervals of time instead of a specific distance. I guess it's the counting of lengths/laps that is so monotonous. So what if I'm off my a lap or two.

Dan

Blog Entries

Yes, doing some interval training over the winter can help you pick up your speed over distance. Going straight through is good for mental test, but if you're just slogging the miles just to get it done it can be just teaching you to swim at that slower pace. Emily has some great distance workouts (the ones I mentioned in the post above) that you can modify/tweak based on how much mileage you want to get done. I really enjoy her workouts, have saved several that I particularly like, and they really helped while getting ready for Swim the Suck 10m last year. http://forums.usms.org/forumdisplay....ly-Von-Jentzen
    Kari Kennedy

I have a similar problem as well. After doing my first marathon swimming this month I'm looking forward to longer races next year (probably at 21 km). However as I live and race in different parts of the world, due to climate reason I will do most of the training in winter when the ocean temperature where I live is only 16C - 19C, which is the expected temperature of the race.

However, the race in the different part of the world is in August, which I have two problems:

1. I don't have any cold water to swim in starting from April, which I afraid I will lose my acclimation over 5 months. This year in July when I got into 17C water in my trip I didn't feel very comfortable even after consistent swimming in 18C - 19C over the past winter until March.
    2. As the water become hotter, I'm afraid that I may even have trouble keeping my swim volume and intensity in the final months before the race because I fatigue and burn out very fast in 30C water.

Speed is not a concern in that race. Is there anyone here who have similar experience racing in other parts of the world with very different climate from where you live?
    Michael Tsang - software developer & orienteer

https://miklcct.com/

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

I've done 17 marathon swims. I guess everybody is different. My winter volume is not that high (3-4k per day with a 7k or so once per week--not this year). When I get within a few months, I'll try to get out for a 5 miler with a kayaker once per week. As far as cold acclimation goes, I find it impossible living in Arizona. For the English Channel, I got 20 lbs of ice and threw it in the tub (I got up to about 2 hours) but didn't find it helped much. I find for both distance and cold, I just suck it up on race day which is probably not that great of a strategy.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForceDJ View Post
    No, not Bridget. I have a friend/swimming partner in the neighborhood (she's in the SOS group too). She and I frequently swim at McCorrie. She has suggested we do a swim along the shoreline from the McCorrie Point area in Portsmouth, south to Second Beach (aka Sachuest Beach) in Middletown. It's around 11 miles. But I think she's talking about this for next summer.
    Dan
    What is the SOS group?

Participating Member

The Sachuest Ocean Swimmers group originated about 10 years ago. Mike Garr and, to a lesser extent, I coordinated regular group swims and communications via email and the Sachuest Ocean Swimmers Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/SachuestOceanSwimmers/. I am now more involved with other groups but Mike continues to coordinate SOS, which has a devoted following of friends and acquaintances.

During those first few years there were regularly scheduled 4:30pm and 5:30pm weekday swims at southward-facing Second Beach (Middletown, RI) and weekly Sunday morning swims from First Beach (Newport) to Second Beach around Tuckerman's Point. People also coordinated ad hoc swims at other times via the FB page.

The group has gradually changed with people now swimming more regularly at Mackeral Cove (Jamestown) as well as a smaller group of people meeting at Second Beach and elsewhere in the Newport/Jamestown area, including the McCorrie Point area (Sakonnet River estuary) in Portsmouth.

The current regulars in the SOS group largely swim for recreation, mindfulness and the pleasure of each others' company without worrying much about pace or times, as depicted by their mantra "Swim Well Seek Peace." Some pick one or more distance-oriented goals each year to set their sites on, like the Jamestown "Beavertail 10K," which is not a race per se but rather an expedition-type swim consisting of 8 or 10 SOS swimmers with boat support.

SOS is friendly, welcoming and supportive of others of all abilities. However, if you're a very fast (relative, I know), competitive swimmer or triathlete who likes to go for it every time you get in the water, then you might want to seek a more competitive group.

There are other open water groups such as the Barrington Open Open Water Nadadores (BOWN) at Barrington Beach in upper Narragansett Bay and the Narragansett Ocean Swimming Enthusiasts (NOSE) at Narragansett Town Beach -- the latter is a beautiful eastward-facing open ocean venue with perhaps the cleanest water around this area. NOSE is the largest OW group in New England that swims regularly (4x week) -- and in midsummer there can be up to 90 swimmers, which allows for pods of various speeds/abilities.

For more info/links/contacts see http://swimri.org/practice-schedules and scroll to the open water group info at the bottom of the page.
    Last edited by dsayles; August 21st, 2019 at 03:29 PM.