Thread: Dryland / Strength Training Suggestions

Dryland / Strength Training Suggestions

For the current time our Masters schedule is limited to three mornings per week (M-W-F), with occasional Saturdays.
    Since I'm an early riser and up at 5:00AM anyway, I'm trying to come up with some ideas for some dryland and/or strength training routines for Tuesday and Thursday mornings when I can't swim.
    I've been doing some stretch cord and bodyweight training on a random basis, but thinking it would help if I had more of a structured plan. I've got a seldom used gym membership, so that's an option for my off days.
    Running is out due to some chronic knee problems.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Thanks.

Very Active Member

Re: Dryland / Strength Training Suggestions

Somewhere - maybe here, I dunno - someone mentioned that people who do pull-ups don't seem to get shoulder problems.

I do weight work recommended as rehab by PTs. External rotation with weights is one. I'm thinking that "rehab" exercise would be great for even non-injured swimmers, but there might be better ones for improving performance. You can find the kind of thing I'm talking about by searching for "PT for rotator cuff." plenty of guides - they typically recommend very low weights, and you would likely want heftier ones.

You have the answer in the "seldom used" gym . Go there sign up for a trainer to get you started on ALL the machines they have and you can then go there 2-3-4 times a week for much needed strength training! IMHO

Very Active Member

I second Orca. I know the gym I work for offers a free fitness eval to all members (and yes, of course, they hope you sign up for PT), but it's a good chance to chat with someone about what you're looking for, strengths and weaknesses, what your baseline is, and which of their trainers might make the best fit if you choose PT.

Very Active Member

There are lots of us who are solo swimmers - i.e. we don't train with a team. There are workouts posted for several different types of swimmers. Not sure if your gym has a pool or not, but that would be an option I would think on TTh. If not, try to use an elliptical. My orthopedic surgeon told me to get one a while back, rather than run (this was before I took up swimming), and they don't hurt your knees at all. Fantastic whole body workout if you can handle the monotony.

But yeah, like the suggestion above, sign up for a trainer and get introduced to some of that. I occasionally hit the weights with my kid, and follow the routine her coach gives the older kids. Pretty simple. Legs are stepping up on (high) blocks with kettleballs, and knee extensions and leg curls (both of those on machines). Arms are curls and military press iwth dumbells, and tricep pulldown and lat bars on the machine. Lower weight, higher rep.

Blog Entries

I bought a basic TRX system (https://www.trxtraining.com/) and love it. I can use it for all kinds of strength exercises. For home, you mount the suspension bracket to the wall and hook up the straps. You can also take it on the road and use it in hotel rooms by latching it between a door and the jamb. It also comes with workouts that they guide you through based on what you'd like to do. Best $99 I've spent in awhile. I definitely got the full amount out of it in just a few months without a gym membership.
    Kari Kennedy

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I concur on the personal trainer. If it fits in your budget, keep them: you'll work harder and get better results with a trainer holding you accountable, watching your form and varying your workouts than you will on your own.