Thread: Local Pool Closing, Need Ideas for Once Per Week Training

Participating Member

Local Pool Closing, Need Ideas for Once Per Week Training

A whole drama has unfolded locally regarding the construction / remodel of the local aquatic center, but that is a different story. The result is that the local indoor lap pool will close for construction and remodel November 27, 2019 and won't reopen until Spring 2021 (not a typo, freaking 2021).

The closest indoor lap pool is 74 miles away.

Logistically and time wise, I can make that trip only once per week. With that trip I get a 3-4 hour window to swim.

I am looking for some ideas on how to structure workouts effectively.

About me: I am triathlete, so my focus is on front crawl and Olympic (1500 meters) and Half Iron (1950 meters) distance. Normally, I swim 2-3 times a week for 1:20 or so.

Before you ask.
    1. No, I cannot invest $20,000 in a swim spa.
    2. No, I really can't make more than one trip.
    3. We have winter here, so there are zero year round outdoor pools.
    4. Likewise, with winter, swimming open water is not really an option until late spring at the earliest.

Re: Local Pool Closing, Need Ideas for Once Per Week Trainin

Wow, that situation sucks royally! That is a long time for a "remodel." My only suggestion is that maybe you can find another swimmer locally who could share the driving with you to the 74-mile away pool. And/or...maybe find a cheap hotel, or Airbnb accommodations near that pool and once a month you could get two workouts in one trip doing a Friday-Saturday or Saturday-Sunday.

Dan

Participating Member

ForceDJ, thank you for replying. Those are some interesting idea. You are correct, that timeline is crazy, but the issue is budgeting one. The bids all came in high, so they are using the 2020 operating budget to add to the construction budget.

I am just not sure how to structure a workout. I can wing it, but was seeing if anyone had some thoughts.

Blog Entries

I have been in a similar but not as extreme situation.

Have you tried the Rogue or assault air bikes?

Blog Entries

Have you looked into LA Fitness or Lifetime Fitness if you have them near you? Many times, one of those will have small pools. Where do you live?
    The hotel is a good idea. Even if they don't have a lap pool, per se, you can get a swim tether and attach it somewhere. It's not fun, but it serves it's purpose for getting movement and technique.
    Kari Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by flystorms View Post
    The hotel is a good idea. Even if they don't have a lap pool, per se, you can get a swim tether and attach it somewhere. It's not fun, but it serves it's purpose for getting movement and technique.
    Oh...my suggestion about a hotel wasn't necessarily to use their pool for a tethered swim. I was suggesting that they drive to the distant pool on a Friday, get a workout in a the pool that evening. Spend the night in the hotel and then get another workout in early Saturday before heading back home. Two workouts in one 75-mile trip. But...the tethered swim is another good idea.

Very Active Member

Participating Member

There is no gym like that here, the town is 20,000 population. There may be a an option for a swim tether. Some of the aqua aerobics people were talking about using a hotel pool. I will need to reconoiter the logistics of that.

Quote Originally Posted by flystorms View Post
    Have you looked into LA Fitness or Lifetime Fitness if you have them near you? Many times, one of those will have small pools. Where do you live?

Participating Member

1. I just bought a treadmill, so not looking at purchasing equipment.
    2. Candidly, that device is kind of a joke.

Participating Member

Have you thought of moving to the "bigger city" or even to a spot half way between your smaller city and the city with a pool?

Seriously!?!?! Is that a serious suggestion or just a joke? I mean I don't like to cause a ruckus on social media, and have always believed there's no such thing as a stupid question. But is uprooting the family and moving to a new town a serious suggestion for a local pool temporarily closing? If it is, fine. I apologize for any discrimination.

Dan
    Last edited by ForceDJ; October 25th, 2019 at 04:39 PM.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by berklaw View Post
    1. I just bought a treadmill, so not looking at purchasing equipment.
    2. Candidly, that device is kind of a joke.
    You could probably jerry-rig something similar with resistance bands/weights and a weight bench. It wouldn't be ideal, but at least it'd work the muscles.

Blog Entries

At least swimming infrequent is better than nothing. Maybe focus more on drills, video, and technique feedback

Participating Member

Thank you for the continued replies. ForceDJ is right, "moving" isn't an option.

I will probably have to do what __steve__ is suggesting and structure a session that includes a lot of easy'ish stuff with drills, do some video for the first hour or so, and then blast a normal'ish workout for the last 1.5 to 2 hours.

Participating Member

Tough situation to be in. I'm fortunate in that I have multiple pools year round and close by to choose from. However, I also travel a lot for work with changing schedules and finding my normal swim routine seriously out of sync.
    I was going t suggest the Hotel pool gym routine as well. What I look for a nice hotel that ideally has a rectangular pool... bigger the better. When you get in to swim get a sens of the size. Typically a hotel pool is going to be around 12-20 yards if your lucky. Usually you can count the number of tiles or coping at the pool. Once you have a gauge of the length you can the set about to working your targeted distance. Tethers are good but I find they restrict my natural breathing pattern. If you use a tether, use only for a short time. Try to find a time that nobody is in the pool and remove the divider line that typically separates the deep and shallow end. If you do flip turns, you can get a decent workout in.. If not maybe you can work on improvement. However... most importantly, recall your childhood and jump in that pool and play vigorously! jump, splash, swim sprint, swim underwater, circle swim, kick, pull... PLAY! Hopefully you get your pool back before 2021.