Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Are Your 2020 Swim Goals?

Blog Entries

Re: What Are Your 2020 Swim Goals?

My goals are simple - after a massive year of transition in 2019 (moved to Canada, changed jobs twice) -

1. Get into a steady training habit so that I actually have some semblance of a 'base' to taper from at Canadian Masters Nationals at the end of May. See what my results are.
    2. Train over the summer so I can reasonably race - long course! - a 200 fly and 400 IM back in the town I grew up in for USMS Summer Nationals in Richmond.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flystorms View Post
    1. Move to FL (TPA or JAX areas) and get on a good Master's team. (Looking for a job in project management and/or aviation if you have any leads.)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    Have you considered the Phoenix area as a warm alternative, with a big airport and Southwest and American Airlines there ... but more importantly - Mesa Aquatic Club, Swim Devil Masters and Phoenix Swim Club - three big Masters teams each with access to gorgeous 50m x 25 yard pools?

Or, the Atlanta area, home of the busiest airport in the world!
    There are a BUNCH of great swim teams here, and then I would get to see you at area swim meets!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Oh yeah, my 2020 goals:
    1. Get on the 2019 (hopefully, somebody will do a 2020) motivational chart for the 200 fly in my age group! My stroke technique has improved, but I still swim in slow motion.
    2. Repeat my GTD goal of 300 miles. (I made just under 303 this year.)

I have others written down with my 2020 goals that I have posted in our laundry room where I have my swim stuff, but #1 is the one that has me
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    Have you considered the Phoenix area as a warm alternative, with a big airport and Southwest and American Airlines there ... but more importantly - Mesa Aquatic Club, Swim Devil Masters and Phoenix Swim Club - three big Masters teams each with access to gorgeous 50m x 25 yard pools?
    Yes that sounds fantastic, but I'm a tropical girl and love the humidity. Plus TPA has non-stops to the Caribbean.
    Kari Kennedy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ForceDJ View Post
    In the summer of 2019 I trained for, and swam my first "Marathon swim" (it ended up being close to seven miles). I plan on doing that same swim again in 2020. I didn't really cut back much on my mileage after that swim. And, I'd like to possibly do a swim of at least 10 miles in 2020..,.whether it's a sanctioned swim, or on my own with friends.

Dan
    Dan, you should really consider Swim the Suck. I tell everyone: it is the best "first swim after 10k" out there. Email me or FB message me if you want more info.
    --Mike Tyson (yes, my real name)

https://blogs.marathonswimmers.org/ironmike/

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skuj View Post
    Thanks, I'll check that out. My shoulders seem good now.

I should add that by the end of 2020, I'm dreaming of doing other distances at the same level as 5:59 400m. (Basically, the SC WR x 59%.)

So, hopefully a sub16 for 25m, 34.3 for 50m, 1:16.2 for 100m, 2:48.4 for 200m, 12:31 for 800m, 23:57 for 1500m.

Most of these times are roughly twice what I can do now. Ie 50m at current 25m pace, 100m at current 50m pace, etc etc.

This is realistic, right? Swimgods?
    Skuj, your progress, and moreso dedication to progress, is positively inspiring. I don't know if it's realistic, but I believe in you.

It's hard to set goals with ongoing shoulder issues, but I'd like to have at least 4 BR taper meet swims faster than 2019.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by swim_badger View Post
    Skuj, your progress, and moreso dedication to progress, is positively inspiring. I don't know if it's realistic, but I believe in you.
    Aw, that's very kind. Thanks.

Another thing that I wanted to add: "In 2020, I shall begin flipturning at every turn." I have stuck to this so far. Flipturns are new and challenging for me. Not having a breath at the wall has been taxing for me, but I'm getting used to this new thing. Just recently, I got used to bilateral breathing, and this has really helped me with this "oxygen problem" that flipturns present me. I often completely screw up flipturns, but the ratio of good:bad keeps inching towards happiness. I have two sets of PRs: Those in my sig (using open turns), and slower ones as I try to figure out flipturns and new breathing patterns. It may take me months, but I am determined to eventually beat the sig PRs using flipturns. One step back, two steps forward!!
    Current PRs: 25m-:16.8/50m-:36.0/100m-1:19.5/200m-2:55.5/400m-6:14/800m-12:50/1600m-26:37

My main swimming goal: Sub6min 400m before the end of 2020.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mjtyson View Post
    Dan, you should really consider Swim the Suck. I tell everyone: it is the best "first swim after 10k" out there. Email me or FB message me if you want more info.
    I put a reminder on my phone to register for this one! I've heard it sells out quickly!

If I don't get in, I'll probably do B2B again. That was a good one. Very rare to find an open water swim where you can walk from a downtown hotel to the start. Great food at the finish too.
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Blog Entries

Tim, definitely set your alarm for STS. I think she gives you info on what you'll need to provide when you register too. Have a list of some of your longer races ready for when you register. It's a fun race and very well done. Let me know if you need a paddler. I have my own boat and would be happy to support you.
    Kari Kennedy

Today - I made my goal wt. for Nationals! But - I need to get the speed as well!

Blog Entries

Tim, definitely set your alarm for STS. I think she gives you info on what you'll need to provide when you register too. Have a list of some of your longer races ready for when you register. It's a fun race and very well done. Let me know if you need a paddler. I have my own boat and would be happy to support you.
    If Tim doesn't get in, are you available for others?

Blog Entries

Mike, you bet! I enjoy paddling and supporting as much as I like swimming as well.
    Kari Kennedy

Blog Entries

Mike, you bet! I enjoy paddling and supporting as much as I like swimming as well.
    Awesome! Thanks.

Blog Entries

1. Move to FL (TPA or JAX areas) and get on a good Master's team. (Looking for a job in project management and/or aviation if you have any leads.)
    Pick Tampa or Sarasota. Not enough masters teams in Jax. Iíd prefer you move to Tallahassee and swim with me, just cuz itís lonely here! I swim on an Orlando team, and train solo 98% of the time.

My goals would include improving over last year, period. Not sure Iíll get to swim LCM, but my goal for 400M free would be 5:40 or less. For the 800M free, obviously about twice that, 11:30 maybe. For yards, I want to get back under 6:00 on the 500 Free. Also I plan on swimming Lake Fontana this year, but only the 10K, not the 15K, cuz I know my limits, and Iím a big baby!
    Last edited by Celestial; January 11th, 2020 at 09:57 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    Pick Tampa or Sarasota. Not enough masters teams in Jax. Iíd prefer you move to Tallahassee and swim with me, just cuz itís lonely here! I swim on an Orlando team, and train solo 98% of the time. :
    You bet! I f end up in that area, Iíll definitely look you up. 😁
    Kari Kennedy

Very Active Member

I just realized that there was a new Men's 50m SC FS WR in December (20.24sec). This changes everything.
    Current PRs: 25m-:16.8/50m-:36.0/100m-1:19.5/200m-2:55.5/400m-6:14/800m-12:50/1600m-26:37

My main swimming goal: Sub6min 400m before the end of 2020.

Participating Member

Just got back into the water in November. It has been 16 years since I last did a meet (D3 college). Very little lap swimming since. I gave up coaching after this summer and wanted to get back into shape. I signed up for a 2.4 mile open water swim in July as motivation and joined Masters swimming to do some meets and make it more fun.

My goals are sub 1 hour for the open water swim and get back to my college swimming weight by the end of the year. Hopefully have some fun as well.

Blog Entries

I guess I should list out my goals for the year:

a) swim at least 200 miles
    b) finish the Rose Pitonof swim
    c) get in and finish Swim the Suck

Very Active Member

My main event this year are the European Masters Championchips in Budapest (LCM) in June.
    My goal is to swim 200m back in a good time under 2:20.. Top5 placement in my strong age group (40-44)..would be great!
    I am going to swim 4 another events in Budapest too: 100m back, 100m fly, 50m back and the 400m free as a new distance and stroke.
    My preparation has been started 1 month ago and I swim around 20km a week.. I hope to get in a good shape for my first long course meetings in a few weeks.
    "Swimming ist't just a sport. It's a healthy lifestyle, a total body workout, a meditation session,
    a weightless freedom and a way of life"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12