Thread: Help in Florida

Help in Florida

I will be going with the family to Disney for five days then to Sarasota to visit some family. I am doing a Tri in August and will only have one week to "prepare" after I return. I know that I can run easily wherever I go, but would like to swim a few times. Anyone have experience swimming at Disney? There is a bunch of pools - but do any of them have lap times? Particularly early in the AM? Any help in Sarasota would be welcomed too.

Very Active Member jean sterling's Avatar

I Drive Y

I don't know about swimming at Disney, but the International Drive YMCA is a very nice facility. There are three pools there - a competition pool (25 yds by 50 meters), a diving well, and a training pool, which is kept warm for water aerobics and such.

You get off I-4 at the Sand Lake Blvd. exit (don't remember the number), drive on Sand Lake for a very short distance, then turn right on International Drive (be sure you stay in the right lane on Sand Lake). Turn right at Jamaica Court. It's either the first or second traffic light on I Drive. You will see signs to the International Drive YMCA.

Enjoy. I have swum meets there - in fact there is a meet there the last Saturday in July.
    Jean S.

Paul,

There is a lap pool at either the Swan or Dolphin at Disney. I'm not sure how strict they are about letting you swim there if you're staying at one of the other Disney hotels. Swan/Dolphin are actually owned by someone other than Disney. But it wouldn't hurt to ask. I've been to Disney many times, and stayed at various of their hotels. My memory is that they're chock full of screaming kids jumping around at random, and cluttered with water sprays, slides, etc. In other words, lap swimming is out of the question. Last time I stayed at the All-Star Movies resort, and their main pool was a kiddie theme pool, but in the vicinity of the "Might Ducks" area they actually had a relatively little-used square pool that you could swim laps in. It wasn't 25 yards, but at least it was a real pool.

Meg
    Meg Smath
    Kentucky LMSC

I will be in miami, florida the week of the 16th thru the 21. Is there a masters workout in that area? I will be staying in the coral gables area. I have tried looking on line but was a bit confused by the websites. Thanz for help

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately Jean, we will be taking a shuttle to Disney from the airport. Then later we will be getting a ride from in-laws to Sarasota. We won't have a car with us in Orlando - just taking the shuttles.

Meg, I kind of figured the pools would be like that - kids, etc. In fact, I will be spending some time in those "play pools" with my kids while we are there. Not so good for laps though. I will ask when I get there about the Swan or Dolphin.

There is an Enterprise rent-a-car agency right on the Disney property and you can rent a car for part of the day or a whole day if you need one. They pick you up at your hotel. I've used it to go off the property to church or visit friends.
    My suggestion is to call the hotel where you are staying and ask guest relations to help you find a place to swim. You never know until you ask.
    Fitswimmer04

Does anyone live in the miami, coral gables area and if so where do you swim in masters workout. I will be there for a week after nationals and am looking for a spot to workout. Please help me find a pool I can workout in with some of the great Florida masters swimmers. Any help is greatly appreciated Thanz

Very Active Member
    Originally posted by MegSmath
    Paul,

There is a lap pool at either the Swan or Dolphin at Disney. I'm not sure how strict they are about letting you swim there if you're staying at one of the other Disney hotels. Swan/Dolphin are actually owned by someone other than Disney. But it wouldn't hurt to ask. I've been to Disney many times, and stayed at various of their hotels. My memory is that they're chock full of screaming kids jumping around at random, and cluttered with water sprays, slides, etc. In other words, lap swimming is out of the question. Last time I stayed at the All-Star Movies resort, and their main pool was a kiddie theme pool, but in the vicinity of the "Might Ducks" area they actually had a relatively little-used square pool that you could swim laps in. It wasn't 25 yards, but at least it was a real pool.

Meg
    Meg -- About 8 years ago I stayed at Disney on a family vacation. If you stay at any on-campus Disney facility, you can use the pools at any of the others. (At least it was that way when I was there.)

If I recall correctly, both the Swan and the Dolphin have lap pools, and each are 33 1/3 yards long. (Kind of weird to swim in that distance, but perfectly doable.) And if I recall correctly, they were the only pools in the Disney complex that were designed to accommodate lap swimming. (All the rest are lagoon-style odd-shaped things that are great for recreational splashing. etc.) When we were there, we went early each AM to the lap pools. Swam in each. Not another swimmer in sight for most of the workouts, so if Joy picks her times well, she should get in some good workouts. (The kids aren't interested in a boring square pool when there is one at the next hotel with slides and waterfalls, etc. And mom and dad are happy to accommodate the kids because they can get poolside pina colada service at the lagoon but not at the lap pool!)

Joy, the University of Miami has a master program, they have a 6AM workout, not sure of other times. Coral Gables is only a 45 minute drive from the Fort Lauderdale Aquatic Center which has many open hours for swimming, and nice chilled water. UM will be warm. If you want to go to the Keys, the pool in Founders Park, home of the Race Club, also has public swimming. I don't swim at UM, but know that they are receptive to people just showing up to swim in the workouts.

thank you Cathy. I will look into each one. The chilled water sounds nice. aaaaaaahhhhhhh

For the record, the resort we were at in Disney (Pop Century) had three swimming pools open 24 hours. Lifegaurds from 10:00am to 10:00pm. The rest of the time it was swim at your own risk. It felt odd to be doing a workout at 6:00 am in a pool shaped like a bowling pin!

Sarasota was much easier - a week membership at the Y.

Originally posted by Scansy
    For the record, the resort we were at in Disney (Pop Century) had three swimming pools open 24 hours. Lifegaurds from 10:00am to 10:00pm. The rest of the time it was swim at your own risk. It felt odd to be doing a workout at 6:00 am in a pool shaped like a bowling pin!

A pool shaped like a BOWLING PIN!! That is funny! How long was it? Did you swim at the new Y in Sarasota - the one out near the interstate? That's a great pool - they had Y Nationals there a couple of times.
    Jean S.

Originally posted by Scansy

So Paul, was Pop Century part of the All-Star resorts? I'm staying there in September, after the USMS convention. The bowling pin was actually long enough to do a workout in? Great! Last time I was there, the Might Ducks pool was the best they had to offer. If no kids were in there, it was possible to work out.

Meg
    Meg Smath
    Kentucky LMSC

To respond - yes the pool was shaped like a bowling pin. It was about 3'0" deep on the edges and about 4'6" deep at the drain. There were stairs at the "top" and "bottom" of the bowling pin. At first I tried to go across the wide part near the bottom of the bowling pin because I could push off of a real wall - but the pool was too narrow there. It was push, glide, 3 strokes and turn! So I ended up going from top to bottom. Pushing off on the stairs was interesting, so I had to take an extra split second to make sure my feet were on the front of the stair firmly. A couple of times, I missed..... That's another story.

There were three pools. The Pop Century resort has an area for the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's. The decorations were all from that particular decade. The bowling pin was in the 50's, there was a "hippie flower" shaped pool in the 60's area and a computer shaped pool in the 90's. It just worked out that at the time I was swimming, they were doing maintenance on the other pools, so the bowling pin it was. I didn't measure exactly, but did pace it off - I estimate it was about 40 yards long. There were no kids there at 6:00 in the morning. In fact, there was nobody period.

The Pop Century was near the All-star resorts - basically across the street. But we didn't get into the All-star area at all so I don't know what the pools are like there. It would be a long walk to the pools at Pop Century. If you find a pool, don't ask if it is OK to workout in it early in the morning. I did that at first and was told no. But then I just did it and nobody said anything to me.

In Sarasota, I was working out at the Y on Potter Park Drive. Just off of Central Sarasota Parkway. It is fairly new and a great Y. I wish my Y here at home was that nice. It was 2 miles from where we were staying and I am trying to prep for a sprint tri on August 7th. I was running to the Y, swimming then running back. The humidity took some getting used to though.

40 yards is a good, if unusual length - too bad about the atairs at one end.

The Y on Potter is the Y I was thinking of - it's very nice. Glad you found it.
    Jean S.