Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympian Masters ?

Participating Member

Question Olympian Masters ?

I am looking for a list of Olympian Masters and what Olympics and events they particpated in. If you have such a list or know where one is, please let me know. Individual anecdotes are OK too.

Background:

I want to write to "Splash" magazine and ask them to feature some of the people on such a list when they write about great swimmers. I'm tired of reading (and having my kids read) about so-and-so great swimmer, who got to the Olympics, did great, and now swimming is behind them (i.e. they don't swim anymore). On the "mission statement" of Splash, they give lip service to a lifelong involvement with swimming, but they never seem to come up with an example of such a person.

wiredknight

Very Active Member
    Go to the USMS History and Archives section of this website and you will see a section on Olympians in USMS. These are people that have registered and swam in Masters Swimming since it started 30 plus years ago.
    Skip Thompson

I've scoured the History and Archives page (under "Competition") but can't find a "former Olympians" category. Am I looking in the wrong place?

I maintain the list of Olympians for USMS. Email me at gailswim@earthlink.net.

We prefer not to be called "former" Olympians. A swimmer who makes the Olympic team is an Olympain for life, it's like a doctor's degree. A small thing....

There are 171 Olympians who have joined Masters over the years, although not all of them have competed. In Hawaii there were Ron Karnaugh, Plamen Alexandrov, Tori Trees Smith, Limin Liu, Yoshi Oyakawa, Bill Mulliken, Geoff Gaberino, Graham Johnston, Roque Santos, Colette Crabbe, Steve Clark, Jeff Farrell and myself. If anyone knows of an Olympic swimmer that I've missed, please let me know. Thanks.....

Jeremy Linn was also at the meet, I think (I wasn't there but saw his name in the results). He swam in Atlanta in '96.

Yes, thanks for spotting that. I will add Jeremy Linn to the list. If anyone out there knows of Olympians swimming masters that are not competing, please help me out with this list. It is wonderful that so many are swimming again.

Blog Entries

Re: Olympian Masters ?

Is this list complete though? I am sure there could be a couple of swimmers out here that have been overlooked. I'd love to know who I might be sharing aqua with.

Any non US Olympians among our crowd? Do they get a list?

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Roper View Post
    There are 171 Olympians who have joined Masters over the years, although not all of them have competed. In Hawaii there were Ron Karnaugh, Plamen Alexandrov, Tori Trees Smith, Limin Liu, Yoshi Oyakawa, Bill Mulliken, Geoff Gaberino, Graham Johnston, Roque Santos, Colette Crabbe, Steve Clark, Jeff Farrell and myself. If anyone knows of an Olympic swimmer that I've missed, please let me know. Thanks.....
    Richard Schroeder was in Hawaii and at Worlds

Rowdy, Josh Davis & Dara swam at Indy and at Worlds

Vlad Pyshnenko worlds and i'm guessing quite a few more masters Olympians from other countries.
    I crack myself up. It is jealousy. It is Boredom. I Did not accomplish enough when I was young, and I hate anybody faster/younger than me.

Blog Entries

some how double posted.
    Last edited by SwimStud; October 24th, 2007 at 01:28 PM.

I currently have 196 Olympians on my list. If you know of anyone who is not on it, I will check with the USOC to verify their participation and add them to the list.

Gail,

Is the list published somewhere? If not, if you could e-mail it to me I could capture it as a PDF document and attach it to this thread. That way we could all look for "missing" names.

Ron Neugent swims in my LMSC; he was a member of the U.S. 1980 team.

Anna Lea

Blog Entries

I currently have 196 Olympians on my list. If you know of anyone who is not on it, I will check with the USOC to verify their participation and add them to the list.
    I can think of one. I'll PM you.

Gotta love Rowdy! Woot!

The coach of GMUP, Cheryl Ward, is a Canadian Olympian!
    Last edited by The Fortress; October 30th, 2007 at 12:47 PM.

Blog Entries

I was wondering if any Brit Olympians swam stateside. I know it's a popular place to settle for other "retired" (for want of a better word) athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post

My coach, Cheryl Ward, is a Canadian Olympian! She's swimming with me on Sunday. Woot!

I swam with Cheryl and her husband Peter in college. Please tell them hello for me if you get a chance.

P.S. If they know how to get in touch with Eric Heil (mine and Peter's roommate), please PM me with the information if you think about it.
    These amino acids are awesome, now I need a new Speedo.

Yes, I have Cheryl Ward. You can check out the list of Olympians on the USOC website. Go to athletes, then All-time Olympians, then you can check out swimmers by Olympic years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Perry View Post
    I swam with Cheryl and her husband Peter in college. Please tell them hello for me if you get a chance.

P.S. If they know how to get in touch with Eric Heil (mine and Peter's roommate), please PM me with the information if you think about it.
    I will!! Cheryl is swimming in the sprint classic with me this weekend. I'm not sure if Peter has a college meet this weekend or not ... I'll try to remember to ask about Eric Heil.

Yes, I have Cheryl Ward. You can check out the list of Olympians on the USOC website. Go to athletes, then All-time Olympians, then you can check out swimmers by Olympic years.
    Seems to me that having a section on this website calling out these athletes who are part of USMS would be a no-brianer...vs. having to go through all that is going on here?
    I crack myself up. It is jealousy. It is Boredom. I Did not accomplish enough when I was young, and I hate anybody faster/younger than me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    Seems to me that having a section on this website calling out these athletes who are part of USMS would be a no-brianer...vs. having to go through all that is going on here?
    Good idea. This topic has led to some name calling in the past. Best to avoid.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast