Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympic pool deck temps reach 55C, Hacket predicts sub 14:30 1500m

Olympic pool deck temps reach 55C, Hacket predicts sub 14:30 1500m

Hackett yesterday declared he would become the first man to swim the 1500m in under 14 minutes 30 seconds - taking at least four seconds off his world record.
    In recent weeks workers have slaved away in ambient temperatures of up to 45C, but it has been a blistering 55C around the pool deck because of reflections from the water and concrete stands.
    55 degrees Celsius = 131 degrees Fahrenheit

From Australian new story

Sounds like one of the pools Shaky used to swim in!

Any one who swims 100 meters under 58 seconds (57.99) 15 times in a row should go down in history. This would be an amazing accomplishment in that kind of heat. One would think that a colder pool would be more to his liking, especially since he seems to favor sleeveless body suits which can trap heat.

Maybe they keep the pool temp nice and cool. If not, the proverbial chunder bucket is going to see a lot of action.

Hum...

Maybe the pool roof that was slated to go on would really make a difference...

Very Active Member
    Just like the saying, "Cold hands, warm heart": Maybe in Athens it will be "Hot deck, cool water."

I wouldn't expect the deck temps to affect swim times as much as water temps would.

You never know how much deck conditions will screw up your swimming. I remember hearing (from friends) about a particular NY HS state championship meet. Because of a conflict with a Y meet, they had to participate in the 2nd choice pool. The design was that the heating elements were below the pool, and the pool helped regulate the air temperature. Well, the heat managed to bleed around the pool (rather than through it). The air temp was hot enough for the spectators that the temp was reduced. The pool ended up cold, the air was still too warm, and my friends swam quite a bit slower than they had the week before.

Very Active Member
    It must be very difficult for HACKETT to keep himself motivated when he is so far in front of the rest of the world and he knows that there is currently no one that is anywhere near him.For being able to dominate the 1500 free by so much he deserves special recognition.Much more than THORPE who is now being challenged by a few others and tends to get into the media far more than HACKETT.

Very Active Member
    I couldn't go under 14:30 with a BOAT! Going under 14:30 is so far off the chart it is beyond comprehension. The guy should be checked for gills….

Originally posted by mark_varney47
    It must be very difficult for HACKETT to keep himself motivated when he is so far in front of the rest of the world and he knows that there is currently no one that is anywhere near him.For being able to dominate the 1500 free by so much he deserves special recognition.Much more than THORPE who is now being challenged by a few others and tends to get into the media far more than HACKETT.
    He swims the mile. Distance always has, and likely always will, receive little attention. It's a 'boring' event. I love distance, I wish him the best of luck

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by DocWhoRocks
    He swims the mile. Distance always has, and likely always will, receive little attention. It's a 'boring' event. I love distance, I wish him the best of luck
    Just wait for the Olympic coverage. You know the drill. We'll see the heat start and maybe 100 meters or so, then they will go to a commercial or some other story and come back to show the final 100 meters.

Originally posted by knelson
    Just wait for the Olympic coverage. You know the drill. We'll see the heat start and maybe 100 meters or so, then they will go to a commercial or some other story and come back to show the final 100 meters.
    You have too much faith in the networks. I expect to highlights of the mile. If we're lucky we'll get the start (just the dive and maybe first 2 strokes) and the last 50.

Maybe not - now that they (NBC) are using seven networks to cover the Olympics we might get the entire race. The trick will be finding which network and which hour.
    jophesgo

Originally posted by swimpastor
    Maybe not - now that they (NBC) are using seven networks to cover the Olympics we might get the entire race. The trick will be finding which network and which hour.
    I still don't have enough faith in NBC. Wish i got CBC (Canadian station) here. Their coverage (at least when I lived in MI) of the olympics is ten times better than any network in the US.

Very Active Member
    Originally posted by knelson

Then how come they showed the women's 800 free from start to finish? Answer, compelling story about whether Brooke Bennett and/or Diana Munz would make the team. I think that Hackett's mile, along with Larsen Jensen attempt to keep up will provide enough drama for us to see more than the start and the final 100 meters.

BTW, why haven't they talked more about Diana Munz's come back from serious car accident? Saving it for her Olympic swims?

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by DocWhoRocks
    I still don't have enough faith in NBC. Wish i got CBC (Canadian station) here. Their coverage (at least when I lived in MI) of the olympics is ten times better than any network in the US.
    Yeah, the CBC coverage is usually excellent. I was just looking at the TV schedules and they are showing live coverage throughout the night.

Blog Entries
    I would like to set TiVO to record every single moment of swimming. Anyone know where to find a comprehensive guide?

Thumbs up guide for swimming

USA swimming has on their web site the TV coverage link that will show all the coverage for the events --including Telamundo. Hey who cares if I don't understand the announcers I want to see the swims!
    Last edited by Alicat; August 12th, 2004 at 08:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Has anyone found an easier to read, single page listing of coverage times for swimming?

NBC is having a full non-stop coverage of the games. Not sure about how much of it will focus on swimming.

Here's the link.... www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/index.html

I think Sportscenter is doing a story on her today. NBC will wait until the race.
    Fitswimmer04

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast