Thread: Cruise times

Wayner

Cruise times

Hey ya'll,

I have been goofin' off in the pool (1-2 days a week for the last few months) and am finally ready to get serious about training. Due to finiancial constraints I cannot join a masters team, yet, but really want to start a structured workout 5-6 days a week. My goal is to facilitate the workouts avaialable posted here.

In reading alot of posts for preperation I realized I needed to figure my cruise time. Having done the 10x100 on 2min, I averaged 1:32 (25yd pool). When I was doing this, I caught myself going as very hard I could in the last few - lungs about to bust at the end - because I was tring to average around 1:30. Is this the right way to do it? Should I have held what felt like the same level of exertion in all and let what ever time be the avverage interval? In other words, have I given myself a false cruise time?

Thanks for the input
    Wayner

Hi,

You will find that everybody defines "cruise" as a bit different. In my workouts we use our cruise as the base send-off interval for the lane. How do you determine your cruise? I like to tell swimmers that your cruise is the interval you can do 10 x 100 on comfortably, getting 7-12 seconds rest.

So then, if you swim say 1:35's comfortably, leaving every 1:45, your cruise would be 1:45.

Then you do the math:

4 x 200 on cruise would be 4 200's leaving every 3:30 (1:45 x 2)

3 x 100 on cruise - :05 would be 3 100's leaving every 1:40 (1:45 - :05)

2 x 300 on cruise + :15 would be 2 300's leaving every 5:30 ((1:45*3)+:15)

I hope that helps.
    Have fun!
    MO