Thread: Gym/Swim clubs, etc. Random questions.

Participating Member

Gym/Swim clubs, etc. Random questions.

Gym/Swim clubs, etc. Random questions.
    I'm not interested in joining a gym but after watching the swimming events on tv this week, I really miss swimming and was thinking about joining a YMCA just for the pool access.
    Growing up in CA I had a pool but I moved to the east coast about 8 years ago and I have only been swimming a few times since.

Anyhow, so I'm wondering, where should I go in the NYC area? I've only lived here for a few months. Is there anything cheaper than the YMCA? I live in Queens and don't know where any of the pools are. I'm more familiar with Manhattan because I've been working here.

Is it necessary to take (intermediate) lessons?? I know the basics, but I'm sure I could work on my technique and def. endurance (I'm out of shape!).

For those of you who don't compete, what has it been like for you in the swim clubs? Which ones in NYC are best for beginners/not-so-in-shape-but-willing-to-work-it. Thanks.

I live in Manhattan, so I'm not really familiar with the availablity of pools in Queens. But my experience has been that the only pools available to the public are at YMCA's and similar centers -- YMHA's, YWCA's JCC's and the Asphalt Green AquaCenter (on 91st Street and York Avenue, Manhattan) -- so it's not likely that you'd find any facility that's much less expensive than the Y. At least at one time, the pools at Queens College and Queensborough Community College were open to the public for limited hours, so it may be worthwhile to check there.

As for your other questions, it's always good to have some instruction, i.e., coaching, even for the most advanced swimmer (even Michael Phelps has a coach). But I think you'll find that the best place to get that instruction is with a Masters club. All of the Masters clubs in New York welcome swimmers of all ability levels, but some clubs are much more competition oriented than others, so it's important to talk to the club's coaches or representatives to make sure it's philosophy matches yours. (For example, my club -- Red Tide -- is extremely competition oriented, but we welcome even complete beginners.) Most NYC clubs are in Manhattan -- they're listed at the Metro website: www.metroswim.org

But don't rule out competing. Masters competition is low-key and low pressure, especially at local meets. It can be the best way to improve and stay motivated and it's fun .

hi there! im also gettin back into the pool after a few years, so i know how that feels. I am in Queens as well, all my life actually. There aren't as many pools in queens as there are in the city. However, I have found laguardia community college's pool a good one. Their recreation pass is $65 every 3 months, reasonable lap and open swim hours, and steps to the 7 train so its a short ride to manhattan. Also, I do agree with Ken about Masters clubs as far as instruction. Hope that helps.