Thread: Fatigue

Question Fatigue

HOLA everyone! Hope that you're all doing great. SO here's my question and PLEASE send me some input about it...

Sometimes when I do my workouts I get a lot of energy and other times I feel like I am about to pass out in the 200mts. Why is it so?? I try to concentrate on my breathing and still I get tired after each distance (more than 200mts). Does it have to do with nutrition or is it simply that one day or the other our bodies do not give that much energy?

Hope to hear from you guys...

In 1952 as I was preparing for the 1952 Olympics. I felt the same way, I went to the doctor they took blood tests and found I had Infectious Mono Nucleosis. Needless to say 6 weeks later at the trials I went unconcious 200 yards into the 440 and that was it for the 52 Olympics. Get yourself checked out.

Good luck
    George www.swimdownhill.com

Had the same experience (without mono though )

I have noticed it sometimes has to do with the time of day I am swimming; early morning is the worst, evening is the best. Yes I know that is whacked and most people do better in the morning. So sue me for being weird.

Sometimes the pool temp is too high.

Once I went when I was in a really, really bad mood and got tired much quicker than usual; looked at my times and realized I was swimming too fast and didn't know it.

Sometimes I feel the same way and have no idea why. Food is a possibility, since I usually get really hungry after swimming.

aschueler - I'm with you. For me morning swims are tough and evenings are great. I drag myself to do some morning swims just because most swim meets like to start at around 8 AM.

I've found diet has a great deal to do with it. I find days I eat good carbs that helps get me through with energy. There once was a thread on this forum asking what people ate prior to meets. A few mentioned oatmeal. I've found that works great as an energy sustaining food.

I think every person has their own ups/downs with energy. Almost every workout I do, my first 500 to 800 meters I feel horrible. Once I push past that point I start to feel the energy kick in to keep me going.

I have the same problem. My best time of day is to swim around noon. Then, I am awake and have had a mid morning breakfast.

But work schedule rarely allows this. I do mornings alot and don't do as well then. But hey, you gotta go when you can go!

Participating Member Hydrophilic6's Avatar
    Originally posted by geochuck
    In 1952 as I was preparing for the 1952 Olympics. I felt the same way, I went to the doctor they took blood tests and found I had Infectious Mono Nucleosis. Needless to say 6 weeks later at the trials I went unconcious 200 yards into the 440 and that was it for the 52 Olympics. Get yourself checked out.

Good luck
    George www.swimdownhill.com

1952 did you say????
    The swimmer who says it can't be done is passed by the swimmer doing it.

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
    -Albert Einstein

Originally posted by Hydrophilic6
    1952 did you say????
    Yes 52 Olympics I passed out in the trials at Hart House pool in Toronto and did not make the team. Hey!!! that was a long time ago I know.

George

Very Active Member
    Geochuck,
    I would be interested to know what your time is now for the 400m Free.What is your opinion of the Canadian performance in these Olympics??
    Mark Varney

I have been swopping instant messages with George for several weeks and I can tell you he is not pleased with the coaching structure!
    Have swum faster, will swim fast again.

Originally posted by mark_varney47
    Geochuck,
    I would be interested to know what your time is now for the 400m Free.What is your opinion of the Canadian performance in these Olympics??
    Mark Varney
    I'm not satisfied with what has happenened. But the Canadian swimmers are doing fine with what they have to deal with. Please don't ask what I can do now for a 400 as I have just had my left knee replaced and the right is being replaced in a couple of weeks. I have only been doing 50 m & 100 m, free and fly since I stopped racing the Marathon races 31 years ago. I might add from 1952 until 1961, I never did any full out swims over 200 meters.

George
    Last edited by geochuck; August 20th, 2004 at 02:09 PM.

Participating Member
    Adequate sleep is of course another big consideration for feeling able at practices. If you are not getting enough rest between workouts your body is going to be sluggish.

Definitely make sure to ease your way into workouts as well. Stretch before getting in the water. And do several hundred yards or meters of drill and/or warm up before getting into the meat of your practice. Generally if you are eating right, well rested, and have gotten the juices flowing to your joints with adequate stretching and warm up, you will be more tuned in to a practice and find it easier to get in the grove of things with the appropriate amount of energy. If you are sluggish even with good eating and rest ... then I agree with some of the other commentary about looking into some possible lurking ailment!

Good luck. Hope your swimming picks up vigor!