Thread: Dry Land

Question Dry Land

Hey everybody! I was wondering if any one had any good dry land workouts? Any that help your kick would be especially helpful. Thanx!

Participating Member

Jump Rope

I like to jump rope for 30 minutes 5 days a week. Excellent cardio and strengthens the legs, arms and core like nothing else.

Today is the greatest day I have ever known - Smashing Pumpkins

Participating Member
    Hey Seagurl,

Not too sure that most people need to do strength work to improve their kick - but if you want to do something, there's nothing wrong with doing kick sets in the pool, especially using fins, as this will increase the resistance you get from the water (and flying down the pool just kicking feels really cool!!!).

As I've always read it, kicking should come more from the hips rather than the legs, and hips aren't quite as easy to strengthen as say, your biceps, because they can be difficult to isolate.

In my humble (and many-times disagreed with) opinion, nothing will build hip, glute, and leg strength like squats. Squats are something that you should only do, though, if you have a spotter, know how to do them safely, and have the right equipment. A leg-press machine will work okay, too, and I would say is safer. Put your feet a few inches wider than shoulder width - this will put more emphasis on your hips, hamstrings and glutes rather than your quadriceps. 3 sets of 12-15 reps a couple of times per week (using as much weight as you can handle with proper form) will strengthen you up pretty quickly. Safety notes - if you do leg presses or squats, don't lock your knees out when you push the weight - it can mess up your knees. Just extend your legs a couple inches short of lockout position. Also, control the weight all the way down and all the way up - never jerk the weight and never let the weight down too fast!!!

Thanx very much for your input....I find that I have a hard time making up dry land workouts...so this is a wonderful starting place! Thank you!!

~Kyra