Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your pet peeve about swimming?

What is your pet peeve about swimming?

No matter how hard you scrub or how often you shower....you always smell of chlorine!

Very Active Member newmastersswimmer's Avatar

Re: Pet Peeves about swimming

Mine has to do with the water temperature at my local YMCA where our master's team holds practices......TOOOOOO HOT!!!!...Usually in excess of 86 degrees!

newmastersswimmer

Blog Entries
    Being interrupted in the middle of a killer set!!!! You're on a roll... someone leans over and asks....is the pool open for swimming? AAAGGGHHHHH!!!!! No, MO - we're swimming here because it's closed.
    "Your body will go places your mind never thought it would go, as long as you are mentally tough enough to push it, drag it or carry it there." Tracy A. Burkholder

"If it is to be......it is up to me!" Author unknown.... got it off the wall at Westminster School in Atlanta.

Breaststroke - For the swimmer who finds the other strokes too easy!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Great topic - my pet peeve is people who put their sweaty gym socks and shorts in the swimsuit water extractor.

Re: tjburk

Being interrupted in the middle of a killer set!!!! You're on a roll... someone leans over and asks....is the pool open for swimming? AAAGGGHHHHH!!!!! No, MO - we're swimming here because it's closed.

That's funny!!.....It reminds me of a famous quote by Einstein that goes something like this....."The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits"

newmastersswimmer

p.s. I have to deal with some of the most rediculuously brainless comments you can imagine on almost a daily basis.....Not to complain about my job...b/c I love my job....The other day I passsed back a graded exam...and a student asked me..."do the check marks mean I got those questions correct"....I answered "yaeh and the "x-marks" with the point deductions right next to them means that you got those wrong"....and I get questions like...."How are we suppose to know where your office is anyway?" half way into the semester...and I answer "Well let's see, ...There's the syllabus which is available online (so you can always print up as many copies as you like), ...theres the big Marquise on the wall of the first floor in plain view when you walk in the front door to our building that has all of the teacher's office numbers on it, ...you can call the main office of our department or stop by and ask the secretary,.... you can ask me before or after class, ....or you can simply walk the halls in our tiney building checking each office door at random untill you eventually stumble across mine....that would take all of about 2 or 3 minutes since it's a small two story building"...ect...ect...

Originally posted by aquageek
    Great topic - my pet peeve is people who put their sweaty gym socks and shorts in the swimsuit water extractor.
    I hate this as well; it is so gross

how about unsynchronized clocks? We have one at each end of the pool and they are only off by about 5 seconds. I didn't notice for a while, thought maybe one way was uphill or something when the even 75s were :50 and the odds took a minute!

Very Active Member Leonard Jansen's Avatar
    1) Kids swimming across the lap lanes without looking first and the lifeguards doing nothing about it. A real problem at the outdoor pool where I swim in the summer.

2) People who hock really large wads of *spit* into the gutter. Especially when they have colds.

-LBJ

- people that hock large wads of spit in the pool (don't even go for the gutter)
    - people who think they should always have their own lane and act like you are infringing upon them for making them adhere to circle swimming when the pool is crowded
    - people who don't rinse off before getting in the pool
    - people who hang out in a lap lane to flounder and not swim when the pool I swim at has a large "open" area for non lap swimmers

HAHAHAHAH! I love all your responses! I absolutley think it is gross when people hock in the pool and out!

And when people with out form make huge waves in the pool....makes me dizzy. Anyway....GREAT PET PEEVES!

My biggest pet peeve is when the swimmer in the lane next to you swims right on the lane line and eventually you wind up smashing hands.

When people swim in the "wrong" lane! If you are a slow swimmer, please use the slow lane! If you're a fast swimmer, don't get in the "medium" lane and then get annoyed with the "medium" paced swimmers. Isn't it better to circle with 3 people close to your own pace, rather than struggle with 2 that are either slower or faster than you?
    Fitswimmer04

Re: dcarson

people that hock large wads of spit in the pool (don't even go for the gutter)

That is not only one of the most vile and disgusting things I have ever heard, it is almost unfathomable to imagine someone doing such a thing!!.....Now I am going to be thinking about that during every lap of my next swim practice....thinking that one of those huge wads of snot/spit is going to get sucked up into my mouth or something....It almost triggers my gag reflex just thinking about it!.......There are apparently NO limits to how crude and disgusting some people can be!!

newmastersswimmer

When I get to the pool and someone is in my favorite lane!!

When I'm having an awesome swim. look at the clock and relize that I have to go to biology .

When little kids through stuff in your lane right in front of you and then dive in after them.

~Kyra

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar
    When I have to choose a shallow lane and the water slide is on. The water is traveling very quickly by the time it reaches the end of the slide and it creates a small whirlpool that makes it difficult to swim in one direction, especially in the shallow end. I guess a turbulent swim is better than no swim.

we don't get enough respect... we are like the only athletes who hold their breath while competing... ha!
    Made with real lightning!

When you see the lifeguards doing arm motions, for, I don't, butterfly let's say, and talking and then you realize that you are the only person in the pool doing butterfly.

~Kyra

Your right! Swimmers rarely get respect for our sport! My roommate is a mountian bike rider. She came swimming with me on Monday to start cross training. She said, " I give you credit Jenn...this is hard stuff!" It certainly made me feel good that someone noticed that swimming doesn't come easy as some people may think.

Very Active Member
    I am too slow and too old

Very Active Member Sonic Swimmer78's Avatar

Re: What is your pet peeve about swimming?

Originally posted by swimmnjenn
    No matter how hard you scrub or how often you shower....you always smell of chlorine!

That's a pet peeve?? Sounds more like a blessing to me. I love that smell and I wish it were permanent.

When I get to the pool and someone is in my favorite lane!!
    Ooooohhhhhhh yeah... Whenever someone hogs up Lane 5, I feel the SAME way.

And now for some more original pet peeves:

Inattentive lifeguards: "....Hey, I understand the concept of Circle Swimming, but FIVE people in my lane?? FIVE?? Sombody do something!!"

The Aquatic Center by my house: This applies to the one above also. There are countless pet peeves I encounter at the Aquatic Center by my house. Sadly it's the closest too...

Pet Peeve #1: Over Crowdedness... Anytime after three PM is like a Shopping Mall on Christmas Day! Too many Kids! Where's my Lane!?! I can't swim here! It's too full! "...No wonder they call them the Aqua Posse!"

Pet Peeve #2: Stinky Locker Room... Is it just me, or does it smell like someone prepared a Mexican dish with a lot of cumins here? I love Mexican food, but Teenage Funk is just GROSS!

Pet Peeve #3: The (Female) Swimmer next to you who thinks she owns the place and thinks she's better than you. "...Who died and made you queen of the pool?" Arrogance will not be tolerated.

Pet Peeve #4: When the guys in the locker room OVERUSE the poor water extractor. VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR -- *click whirrrrrrrrrrr, sputter, sputter* (puffs of smoke come out of it)

Pet Peeve #5: Ooooooh this always gets my goat! Fluctuating pool times!!! ARRGH!!!! One weekend, opening time is from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Lap Swim ends at 2:00*) then the week after it's something like 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (Lap Swim ends at... WHAT?!?! ...11:00.) Justice! Justice! Justice! WHY MUST WE ENDURE SO MUCH DISRESPECT!?!?!?

We're people too!!!

...and lastly (not about the Aquatic Center anymore) when you have a hankering for a midnight swim, but find out the pool isn't open at that hour.

"...guess I'm a little too enthusiastic!"
    "...When I dive; I won't lie, in a long-course I get high. When I train; I don't complain, train indoors whether shine or rain!"

How about the guy at my pool who has terrible form - he strokes only from about the top of his head to his chest, in very wide strokes. It is impossible to swim in the same lane as him. But his endurance is very good so he uses the lane for a looooong time every morning. His stroke is so bad, that I actually counted him doing 32 strokes per 25 yard length. He works real hard, and probably has pretty good cardio endurance. But he is impossible to share a lane with.

How about goggles that fog up.

How about lane lines that aren't tight enough and keep moving back and forth making lanes wider and narrower over and over again.

How about days when my stroke doesn't feel right and I am really struggling for some unknow reason. (Some may argue that my stroke being "off" is the norm! )

How about days when life keeps me from getting to the pool...... this is my biggest pet peave of all!
    Go Steelers!

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast