Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: What is your pet peeve about swimming?

CreamPuff

Re: What is your pet peeve about swimming?

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    Most masters swimmers are not ex NCAA types though. Some have shoulder problems and need fins. Others can't do fly or breast because of shoulder or knee issues. They have to modify workouts. Better that than to not swim. If you want perfection, you have to go to USA practices because our bodies break down.
    If injured or ill, I totally understand. No problem. And what's a good excuse when perfectly healthy? Mental illness perhaps. . .

I'd like to get the injury or illness in which you suddenly cannot count to five seconds causing you to leave on the other person's feet. I think all the gals here will agree with me, there's nothing better than having a 40+ year old man between your legs when doing breaststroke at 6 AM in the morning. Truly, there is soooo much humor in that. Just seems like the place that some of them want to be. Otherwise, wouldn't you leave 10 seconds or go first?

Blog Entries

I have to admit that when the interval gets too tough for me I add the fins to keep up, but then I am trying to keep up with the kids who are seriously much faster than me. Coach is ok with it since I need to learn to use my legs anyway (I'm a leg dragger!).

I do agree that masters swimmers need to learn to leave 5 seconds apart. When I used to swim with the masters I purposely moved out of the "crowded leave on top of eachother" lane (also known as the PACK) and donned the paddles to do the faster interval in a less crowded lane.

Kristina, I don't understand why what swimmers are doing in other lanes bothers you. Your lane, I understand, but other lanes?
    "...it is but well to be on friendly terms with all the inmates of the place one lodges in."
    Melville, Moby Dick

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (S)he-Man View Post
    If injured or ill, I totally understand. No problem. And what's a good excuse when perfectly healthy? Mental illness perhaps. . .
    Well, some people actually think they are training tools that can enhance performance. Look, you and ande swim naked; other people (even elite swimmers) like their toys. I've never understood why people worry about other's people's equipment so much. Just swim and be courteous about your lanemates. On Sundays, I frequently swim in a lane with a guy that does all freestyle. He says the other strokes hurt his shoulders. He seems to be working damn hard. So I don't care.

Blog Entries

Having spent the past three days at a kid's meet, I'm full of pet peeves. I think kids' sporting events bring out the loco in parents. My pet peeve is the parent who rushes over to you to tell you how great a swimmer their kid is because they got their first BB time as your kid is in the middle of their event. When you sit for 90 minutes waiting for the next 35 second event, you'd kind of like to see it.

Very Active Pirate Blackbeard's Peg's Avatar

All of a sudden there's no topic originator named in the thread listing for this thread and the first post has a phantom posting...
    Why do we always run out of rum?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard's Peg View Post
    All of a sudden there's no topic originator named in the thread listing for this thread and the first post has a phantom posting...
    Originally posted by swimmnjenn
    No matter how hard you scrub or how often you shower....you always smell of chlorine!

CreamPuff

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    Well, some people actually think they are training tools that can enhance performance.
    Agreed. However, chronic abusers of the toys sink without them.

Call me crazy, but I don't like it when Suzy Q or Johnny B show up to the 100 yd free race with wetsuit, fins, and paddles. Ditto in practice.

Last I checked you can't bring a bike to a foot race.

There is a time and place for equipment as dictated by the coach (or you are injured.) Those who shall remain nameless, choose to solder the items permanently to their body. Yeah. I race 'em. They are in the group of lanes that race each other. I take it like my cod liver oil. But I ain't gonna like it.

Look, you and ande swim naked; other people (even elite swimmers) like their toys.
    So how do I look?

Blog Entries

I'm sure you look fabulous dahling! Much better than the blue tron suit.

Noodles Romanoff

My newest pet peeve is people who post valueless/meaningless messages on the discussion forum. If you don’t have anything of value to post, don’t post!

Kind of like this post…

NOTE: This is not directed at anyone posting on this thread, but to other one-line posters.

People in your lane that come off the walls after turns in the middle of the lane & crash or nearly into others!!

1. Circling with a slower swimmer (especially one doing BR) who will not pause at the wall and let you pass - very dangerous. Last time it took a huge toenail scratch down the back, another down the arm, and a swift kick in the 'nads before I blew up at this guy.

2. The swimmer, doing his own workout, who stands right in the middle of the lane, after finishing each and every one of his repeats. I mean, c'mon moron, what are you thinking? Can't you see I'm me every time plowing down on you? GTF outta the way...

3. Kids, or their beach balls, kick boards, noodles, dinosauers, etc. that always seem to find themselves running smack dab into you during one of your better sets of the season. Especially dangerous for the littler tots when doing backstroke. Where's the lifeguard when you really need them?

4. Brownouts...nough said
    If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else. Yogi Berra

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415