Thread: Tribute to Arnie Green 1932-2004

Participating Member

Tribute to Arnie Green 1932-2004

Dear Fellow Masters Swimmers:

It brings me great sadness to inform everyone of the passing of Arnie Green 1932-2004 who passed away after swimming the 800 Freestyle at the New England Championship Swim Meet (as published at SwimInfo.com.) I had the pleasure of swimming with him at a meet up in New Hampshire last month. Hard working determined individual who passed on doing what he loved.

May he rest in peace...

Chris

--- Lane 9 News ---
    Masters Swimmer Arnie Green Passes Away at New England Championships -- December 6, 2004

NORTON, Mass., December 6. US MASTERS swimmer Arnie Green, 72, passed away last Friday evening only minutes after setting a New England Masters record for men 70-74 in the 800-meter freestyle at the New England Short Course Meters Masters Championships at Wheaton College in Norton, Mass.

Asked how he felt right after the race, Green said: "Not so good, but I set a Zone record by a second." He then went to warm-down and apparently suffered a heart attack while warming down.

Green was born in Portland, Maine, February 11, 1932, and was the youngest son of Everett F. and Lena Gray Green. He graduated from Portland High School in 1950 and from Yale University in 1954. He served as a first lieutenant in the United States Air Force until 1956.

Green later earned an MBA from New York University and ultimately earned a Ph.D. in management.

Green spent most of his career in magazine publishing in New York City and retired as the Associate Publisher of The Sporting News in 1992. After retiring, he worked as a reporter for the Westport News of Westport, CT, where he resided for over thirty years. He was a talented writer and won several journalism awards for his newspaper writing.

Soon after moving to Maine from Connecticut he taught business management at Central Maine Community College. He also served as President of the Yale Club of Western Maine.

He was a national class masters swimmer, runner and triathlete who won many state, regional and national titles, often while establishing new records including the national record for the men's 50-59 five mile run in 1983. He was a three-time winner of the New England Triathlon Series and won two silver and one bronze medal for running at the national Senior Olympics.

A swimmer for Portland High, Yale and a Masters Swimmer, he was inducted into the Maine Sports Hall of Fame for his many accomplishments in swimming.

He is survived by his wife of over 50 years, Ruth (Savage), of Moscow, ME; three sons, Arnold and wife Dianne of New Hampshire, Jason and wife Gwen of Chicago and Tom of Brunswick; two daughters, Debbie and husband Scott Camillucci of Virginia and Joy and husband Jeff Palmer of Connecticut; seven grandchildren, Anna and Sarah Griffin, Ashley Green, Nick and Joseph Camillucci and Alexander and Amanda Green; brother Edward and wife Starr, sister Eva Horr and brother-in-law Richard Greenwald.

A memorial service will be held at the Elijah Kellogg Church in Harpswell, ME at 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 8. (Phone: 207-833-6026).

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to:

Harpswell Heritage Land Trust
    P.O. Box 359
    Harpswell, ME 04079

or to:

The Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Portland
    277 Cumberland Avenue
    Portland, ME 04101

That's so sad. But he died doing something he loved. At least his last moments were some of his happiest.
    "My brain tells me that if 70% is water then only 30% of me is going to have to swim."

Swimmer Bill
    Arnie was a great guy, and he just loved to swim!! He enjoyed swimming almost every event, all strokes and distances. At the New England championship meets, nobody swam more often than Arnie. He entered the maximum number of events, and was sometimes the top individual high-point scorer among all swimmers.

Arnie was a very good swimmer. He made the USMS National Top Ten 64 times since 1993, and was a relay All-American two times. Arnie's passion for swimming was evident in his very last swim, the 800 S.C. meter free. He went out to break the New England record, and from all accounts, he was happy when he did. Arnie's time was 14:45.86. He broke the old record of 14:46.21 by Jim Edwards in 1994.

...and then, he was gone....

I will miss Arnie, but I feel most fortunate to have known him.

~Bill