Thread: Suit style trends

Participating Member

Suit style trends

Ok everyone, another quick observation/question. In my long and distinguished career in the pool (big time sarcasm for Elaine), I have noticed trends on the suits of choice. Females tend to be pretty consistent with their choices, either the traditional one piece, an occasional workout bikini, or even the performance full body length. Males on the other hand seem to be jammers, and then there's me still wearing the old school briefs style. I am almost always the only one at any pool I go to. Now it doesn't make me feel awkward or anything, but it's just something I have noticed, both in my solo time and my time with the team.

Thoughts?

Blog Entries

Re: Suit style trends

Yeah, seems like most of the kids in the club team group that practices next to the masters group are in jammers.

The masters guys that are mostly there for fitness are in jammers too.

The college "swammers" are in either briefs or drag suit, depending on what era they swam competitively. I go briefs, drag suits were starting to go out of style by the end of my college career.

One guy wears military-style "silkies" even.
    400 IMer in another life.

Blog Entries

My observation is that young boys tend to start out wearing jammers, but these quit being "cool" in high school, so they migrate to briefs. After college men usually decide they might want a little more coverage and start wearing square cut suits. I feel like older guys who swam throughout high school and college are much more likely to NOT wear jammers for training than those with a shorter history in the sport.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slow poke View Post
    Ok everyone, another quick observation/question. In my long and distinguished career in the pool (big time sarcasm for Elaine), I have noticed trends on the suits of choice. Females tend to be pretty consistent with their choices, either the traditional one piece, an occasional workout bikini, or even the performance full body length. Males on the other hand seem to be jammers, and then there's me still wearing the old school briefs style. I am almost always the only one at any pool I go to. Now it doesn't make me feel awkward or anything, but it's just something I have noticed, both in my solo time and my time with the team.

Thoughts?

I have made the same observations as JP and Kirk. You didn't ask for advice, but I'm gonna give it to ya anyway.
    Wear what makes YOU feel comfortable, regardless of style trends.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

It's kind of funny that I don't think I mostly pay much attention. I am very much interested in fashion, in general, but at the pool, unless something is quite bright or somehow stands out, I really don't care what anyone wears. Maybe that's my gender - yep, I wear a typical one piece suit that feels really comfortable to swim in.
    Just enjoying swimming for fitness and relaxation, in Maryland

Men's briefs are so presently so rare at my YMCA that if one wears them he should expect to be noticed. There is one extremely fit guy who spends so much time on the pool deck choosing the perfect kickboard and pull buoy that I sometimes wonder if he is trying to be noticed. (I did - lol) None of the the age groupers nor high school boys wear them. A guy would have to buy them online - they aren't even sold locally. My husband wears jammers to fit in but he likes briefs better. So guys is this the swimming version of the trend with men's basketball shorts getting longer and longer or is there some actual advantage? As a female I like my swimsuits better than my tri-suit which is sort of the female version of jammers

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Men's briefs are so presently so rare at my YMCA that if one wears them he should expect to be noticed. There is one extremely fit guy who spends so much time on the pool deck choosing the perfect kickboard and pull buoy that I sometimes wonder if he is trying to be noticed. (I did - lol) None of the the age groupers nor high school boys wear them. A guy would have to buy them online - they aren't even sold locally. My husband wears jammers to fit in but he likes briefs better. So guys is this the swimming version of the trend with men's basketball shorts getting longer and longer or is there some actual advantage? As a female I like my swimsuits better than my tri-suit which is sort of the female version of jammers
    I would say I see 50 per cent wearing briefs and 50 per cent wearing jammers at my pool. Myself I don't like to train in jammers, but will wear them at meets for short events.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    I did try a jammer style one time and I simply felt I could not move my legs as freely as I would like. Not to mention having more material also made me feel more weighed down overall. I haven't worn them since.

I would say it's definitely a trend a la basketball shorts, and guys like me who wear old school seem to stand out more and more. I caught two high school girls on a local team staring at me when I was getting out a few weeks ago. Although unlike some, I am not trying to be noticed. lol

Blog Entries

Jammers for racing. Briefs to swim in (train in pool, warm-up/down at meets, recreate in the ocean, snorkel, free dive, etc.)

I always wore briefs, but all the guys at my main pool were wearing jammers so, since I race in them I thought I might as well practice in them. I'm used to them now.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Blog Entries

I switched from briefs to jammers a long time ago in my 50s when I felt I was too conspicuous on the pool deck at our summer club. For whatever reason, lately, I feel like the jammers are somewhat restrictive and I'm going to try out a square cut for practice. Males at our masters practices wear jammers, briefs, and square cut suits, pretty much in equal numbers, and females are in one piece suits. The AGer guys also seem to wear both jammers and briefs and girls are in one piece suits; work out bikinis are rare, but appear sometimes in the summer.
    Some guys they just give up living and start dying little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up and go racin’ in the street. (Bruce Springsteen, 1978)

I prefer briefs over jammers any day. Just more comfortable and flexible. No better suit to lap swim in than briefs.

I wonder how much swimming indoors vs. swimming outdoors affects suit choice as well. As a (mostly) outdoor swimmer, I've sometimes let tan lines be a factor in suit choice (more so when I was younger).

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I always wore briefs, but all the guys at my main pool were wearing jammers so, since I race in them I thought I might as well practice in them. I'm used to them now.
    I don't know why, but I've never been able to get used to jammers. I've always worn briefs.