Thread: Fastest human in the world race, sprint run into sprint swim

Fastest human in the world race, sprint run into sprint swim

Whats everyones thoughts on creating a pure fastest person in the world race over land and through water?

I envisage a race that starts with a 60m land sprint with a track that leads to a 25m pool. You start with the sprint and then launch into the pool without stopping to finish a 25m sprint to the finish. The winner is the fastest human in the world.

It would create amazing interest in my view. Imagine seeing Usain running down the track launching into a sprint swim.....

Lots of things to consider like; design of the track and platform into pool, what footwear would you use? if any? perhaps special grip pads on your feet? New training techniques to train both disciplines and master things such as the running dive.

There are lots of people out there who are good sprint swimmers and sprint runners, I think this could work.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

John

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Re: Fastest human in the world race, sprint run into sprint

sounds like a fun event to me
    UT men occasionally open up the double doors and lay down non slip mats to do 25s from a running start
    Coaches time the last footstrike to the first hand strike. Think swimmers go 7's & 8's

Not sure how far the run should be, not many pools have room for a 60 meter take off
    To be fair, the run and the swim should be equally balanced
    world class swimmers do 25 meters under 10.0, world class runners run 100's under 9.8
    it's not fair to runners to have a 6 second run and a 10 second swim.

I have done this in small fun races with multi sport mixes. A made up pentathlon.. I just dive in with shoes on , no time lost in shoe removal.

Participating Member
    Blog Entries

I've been thinking about something like this too. But my version is a triathlon. A true sprint triathlon. What is currently known as a "sprint triathlon" seems like all long distances to me. And Ande is right--fairness dictates that each discipline take about the same time for the top competitors. I have in mind using a local outdoor pool that happens to be adjacent to a biking/running trail. I propose to start on the bikes. Ride maybe a 1/4 mile to a barrier where you must abandon your bike and then run say 2oo yards to the edge of the pool dive in and and swim a lap (50 meters). Or even better . . . ride an 1/8 mile, run a 100 yards and swim a 25?

Blog Entries

Perhaps a staged race. Instead of combining events, combine the times of seperate events.

Very Active Member robertsrobson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jc78 View Post
    Whats everyones thoughts on creating a pure fastest person in the world race over land and through water?

I envisage a race that starts with a 60m land sprint with a track that leads to a 25m pool. You start with the sprint and then launch into the pool without stopping to finish a 25m sprint to the finish. The winner is the fastest human in the world.

It would create amazing interest in my view. Imagine seeing Usain running down the track launching into a sprint swim.....

Lots of things to consider like; design of the track and platform into pool, what footwear would you use? if any? perhaps special grip pads on your feet? New training techniques to train both disciplines and master things such as the running dive.

There are lots of people out there who are good sprint swimmers and sprint runners, I think this could work.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

John
    Appealing idea, if you're a swimmer! The runners would get smashed over 25m swim.

From a parallel thread
    Re: Fastest person over land and through water race
    Really like the swim/run ratio of 1:2.4 unlike the absurd ironman ratio of 1:10.9 . Also, no turns no pushoffs - pure running/swimming skill. Nice idea only drawback is that no runners would enter.
    You sure? At top running speed your momentum is going to carry you a good ways down a 25 meter pool if you have a good dive and streamline. I don't think swimming skill would be much of a factor at all. Surface swimming, anyway.It depends on the height of the platform.
    I was envisioning a platform just a couple of inches above the water level, otherwise; you are correct the dive and underwater would dominate the swim portion of the event. A platform near the surface of the water would make the event more dependent on swimming skill.