Page 95 of 95 FirstFirst ... 45859192939495
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 1890

Thread: Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Re: Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster

So the first arm pull will catch and hold just prior to being past vertical where you can roll over on belly and continue the arm stroke (so long as this is one continuous movement) then take the second one into the turn?

I'm not certain, but I believe this is how I taught myself to bk turn thinking it was the standard method.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    So the first arm pull will catch and hold just prior to being past vertical where you can roll over on belly and continue the arm stroke (so long as this is one continuous movement) then take the second one into the turn?

I'm not certain, but I believe this is how I taught myself to bk turn thinking it was the standard method.
    Nothing wrong with that. I tried one of these turns this morning and almost ran headfirst into the wall. A few more tries and I'm sure I will manage to knock myself unconscious!
    "I blame you, James!" - knelson

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Nothing wrong with that. I tried one of these turns this morning and almost ran headfirst into the wall. A few more tries and I'm sure I will manage to knock myself unconscious!
    This is why I wrote start your turn one stroke sooner. If you turn over where you normally do, you're going to try to fit 2 strokes where you normally do one. Also do them slow at first then build up your speed.

From a logic point of view, freestyle is faster than backstroke, so if you take 2 freestyle strokes per length in backstroke you're likely to be slightly faster. When you master this turn you are able to hit the wall with more speed and momentum.

Before I knew about them, I think going into a backstroke turn, I did a backstroke pull, then did a freestyle pull, but I'd turn over really close to the wall and often jammed my turns. With the new turn you rollover further out giving yourself more room to gage the walls.
    If you watch Lochte turn, he keeps kicking until right before he begins flipping his feet over. Many swimmers rollover to their belly, stop kicking and kinda glide into the wall.

Swim Faster Faster Index: Updated Oct 17th, 2012

SFF Index PART 2
    Last edited by ande; February 19th, 2014 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    While swimming backstroke, going into a turn, your 2nd to last stroke begins as a backstroke stroke. (your arm exits the water like a backstroke stroke then enters up top above your head like a backstroke stroke)

But once your arm enters the water, you roll over on your stomach and do a freestyle pull underwater.
    Then you take your freestyle stroke with your other arm then turn.
    Well, yes. If you are going to roll over to your right you start rolling as your right arm enters the water above your head, and you roll while it pulls. Then your left arm enters; you pull; and you flip. How else do people do it?

Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ourswimmer View Post
    Well, yes. If you are going to roll over to your right you start rolling as your right arm enters the water above your head, and you roll while it pulls. Then your left arm enters; you pull; and you flip. How else do people do it?
    This is how I've always done it.
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ourswimmer View Post
    The old way is
    A swimmer finishes his backstroke pull with his right arm. (so it's by his hip)
    Then he rolls over to turn and takes the one freestyle stroke with his right arm then he flips.
    So his 2nd to last stroke is a backstroke pull all the way and his last stroke is a freestyle stroke (both done with the same arm)
    Last edited by ande; February 26th, 2014 at 04:24 PM.

Very Active Member philoswimmer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post

The old way is
    A swimmer finishes his backstroke pull with his right arm. (so it's by his hip)
    Then he rolls over to turn and takes the one freestyle stroke with his right arm then he flips.
    So his 2nd to last stroke is a backstroke pull all the way and his last stroke is a freestyle stroke (both done with the same arm)
    Really? I never heard of that. Sounds very awkward. Maybe I never learned this because, like others in this thread, I learned the turn on my own (having been taught the old bucket turn, or whatever it was called).

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

From time to time changes occur in swimming. Changes in technique and changes in how swimmers are trained.
    Some of these changes are fads and phases, which come and go. While other changes are paradigm shifts.
    Paradigm shifts force the swimming community to adapt and adopt or be left behind.
    When these changes first arrive, they are often met with doubt, resistance, and excuses.
    Then as more and more swimmers adopt the shift and improve because of it. The shift becomes accepted.

Improving swim suits all the way to full body suits were paradigm shifts.
    Streamline Dophin Kicking was a paradigm shift.
    Googles were a paradigm shift.

The thing is, paradigm shifts are based in science. Paradigm shifts often fly in the face how swimmers and coaches think things should be done. They show what's possible. It's to our advantage to be early adoptors of paradigm shifts.

Michael Andrew training is swimming super fast with Ultra Short Race Pace Training. (USRPT)
    In March 2014 he raced a meet a week and broke & rebroke the following NAGs.
    By remaining fast and even improving for an entire month, he showed a taper is something you can maintain rather than something you can hit or miss.

3/26/2014 SCY NASA Junior National Cham
    50 FR 19.76, 100 FR 43.90, 100 BR 53.88, 100 FL 47.23, 200 IM 1:45.29

3/18/2014 SCY FL AP NCSA Spring Championship
    200 FR 1:38.31, 100 BK 47.83, 100 FL 47.40, 200 FL 1:45.39,

3/13/2014 LCM Speedo Champions Series
    100 FR 51.30 100 BK 56.83 100 FL 55.49

3/6/2014 SCY OK SCS Central Section Region VII
    50 FR 19.85, 100 BK 48.14, 200 BK 1:45.14, 100 BR 54.04

Will USRPT keep working for him and enable him to become a world class swimmer?
    Will he continue breaking records when he's in the 15/16 & 17/18 age groups?
    Will he break world records and race in the Olympics?

Time will tell and times will tell.

What is clear is you're likely to swim faster faster when you adopt and adapt to paradigm shifts in swimming.
    What are some paradigm shifts that helped you swim faster?

SFF Index PART 2
    Last edited by ande; April 10th, 2014 at 03:39 PM.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Michael Phelps’ Coach Bob Bowman: The 6 Characteristics of Champions

1) Champions have a clear plan for success and achieving their goals.

2) Champions welcome challenges as a means to learn and grow.

3) Champions produce normal and predictable performances in very abnormal and unpredictble environments.

4) Champions rehearse success on a daily basis, mentally, physically and emotionally.

5) Champions value the process of success more than any particular outcome.

6) Most importantly, champions have a dream.

SFF Index PART 2

Page 95 of 95 FirstFirst ... 45859192939495