Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102
Results 2,021 to 2,029 of 2029

Thread: Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster

Participating Member

Re: Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster

Don't forget about the state records in US Masters. I have 50 fly SCY & SCM in age group just because nobody else entered.

Participating Member

Ande, I want to ask you one thing about that "Tip 03 Very Fast Kickers". Fast kicking will increase drag which will inturn reduce the swimmer's speed. Furthermore, when fast kicking is done at the beginning it may result in losing the speed and flow gained from the beginning push from the wall which will also reduce the swimmer's speed. What do you suggest a swimmer should do if he/she want's to maintain a fast speed with fast kicking but don't want to increase drag?

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by breastroker View Post
    Yes, there is Zero reason for breathing in ANY 50 event.Read my article on Sprint Breaststroke published in Swim Technique magazine.www.breaststroke.info
    I will have to disagree to this. If you do not breathe then your muscles will not get oxygen they need and this will result in producing extensive lactic acid in them which will disable you to make any further movements. It's just like the same way when you run for too long but in this case it would be like the phenomena followed on steroids! Furthermore, lack of oxygen can result into various problems and if the brain doesn't get enough oxygen then the person will probably faint and in the worst case he/she may drown due to this. I will strictly not recommend this and I am really surprised how you're able to do so. I guess it's probably because of your lung stamina but not everyone has that much!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

SFF Tip Consider Performance & Price for Tech Suits

It's that time of the season Again, masters swimmers are getting ready to race in various end of the season SCY meets, particularly zones or Nationals. Some of our racing suits are getting old and need replaced. I've written all kinds of tech suit tips in Swim Faster Faster like FINA Approved Tech Suits

A new tech suit can make a big difference in how fast you swim and the best suits are probably the latest generation suits offered by the top suit makers like Speedo, Arena, Tyr, BlueSeventy, and many more makers on FINAs approved list.

BUT each of us has got to consider our budgets, what we can afford and what's reasonable, for some, money is no object and dropping $300 to $500 on a suit or two is no problem, but for many that's a chunk. So when making your suit decisions please consider performance and price. With a little effort you could find and purchase a lightly used but pretty good suit from a friend or off eBay.

Many times I've found New With Tags (NWT) or lightly worn tech suits on eBay, I've gotten several for around $50 each or less. Just learn what names to look for, what key words to search for, how to sort the list (I usually use "low to high" and how to play the eBay game to you get the ones you want. "Buy it NOW" is simple and straight forward but auctions sometimes require a bit of strategy, pay attention to how many watchers and how many bidders are following a particular auction, consider holding back your top price until the very last seconds when the auction is expiring and your competition has no chance to counter, don't enter it too soon. Also consider the total cost, shipping, and taxes (if the seller lives in the same state)

At meets, I've often loaned suits to friends who were racing in crappy suits.

You don't need to spend a fortune to get an excellent suit. Every swimmer going to a big meet should at least have 2 tech suits go to go in your swim bag, your primary racing suit & a back up in case your primary rips, wears out, or gets lost or stolen. If you search, you can get some great bargains at deep discounts. Also as meet season approaches more people are looking so you might have better luck searching earlier in the season. Affordable tech suits can definitely help you swim faster faster.

Other Tech Suit Tips

Cover as much skin as legally allowable, I prefer high waisted suits.

Race in a dry suit (warm up in a practice suit, dry off then put on your competition suit)
    ( Rotate suits if you have multiple events )

Race in a new suit, newer suits provide more compression and float than old worn out suits. What I'm saying is a lightly worn suit not the most expensive latest generation

if you can afford it, try several different kinds or read reviews or talk with your friends.

Go to a store and try on several different kinds if they'll allow you.
    Last edited by ande; March 17th, 2017 at 01:13 PM.

What is your opinion on side breathing in butterfly as opposed to front breathing, and changing from one to the other?

Quote Originally Posted by BraunMan View Post
    What is your opinion on side breathing in butterfly as opposed to front breathing, and changing from one to the other?
    I used to breath forward but would sometimes choke on the water. Started breathing to my right side about five years ago and don't have that problem, plus if feels very natural. It also helps keep you flatter in the water...at least for me.

Side breathing in the butterfly is certainly an option (and used with great success by Olympian Mel Stewart among several others). Over time, there is the tendency to not finish your pull completely with the arm opposite to which you are breathing. A good way to avoid this is to practice breathing to both sides in order to get some variety and achieve balance in the stroke on both sides.

Every time this thread pops up, "swim faster faster" reminds me of my days coaching runners. Referring to interval training, I used to tell them, "If you want to run fast, run fast".

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BraunMan View Post
    I think switching sides for side breathing during butterfly is a gimmick and probably wouldn't matter at all, it's just a distraction.

Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102