Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2020

Thread: Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster

Re: Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Abrahams View Post
    From Leslie:

A typical lactate tolerance set is 10 X 50 on 3:00. If you swim this correctly, i.e., extremely hard from the first repeat, you will not be able to clear the building lactates between efforts. Your body will start shutting down after 5 or 6 efforts. Your muscles won’t contract as powerfully or with as much coordination as when they are not immersed in a bath of lactates. I call this feeling fibrillation. What keeps me going is the thought that if I concentrate on maintaining technique I can train my nervous system to recruit new/less fatigued motor units in the working muscles allowing me to extend the time of effective work.
    I have been thinking about this post for sometime.I think "fibrillation" is what has been missing from my workouts for awhile as I have dabbled in USRPT. As a consequence I have not been able to finish my 100s and 200s a strong as I would like.For me USRPT is like practicing the first 1/4 of a race over and over.That has definite value,but I think what has been missing for me of late, is work on holding the stroke together through lactic acid induced paralysis(mild hyperbole.)
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

I guess is a never ending controversy. Some are for USRPT some are gainst USRPT. But you will never come together guys because of the different philosophy you have.
    I am agaist USRPT because of one simple single reason: the lack of fun.
    For me is swimming all about passion and fun. I am not only swimming masters to reach some goals and achieve some (short lived) fame and glory...But is seems USRPT is teachig you how you get the ultimate key.
    It has a wrong psychological approach, a code and programm to develope some mechanical performance.
    Fail and repeat is like programming a code for robots with or and else.
    In my mind a human athlet is more than an IT-programm.
    Last edited by MartinK; December 23rd, 2015 at 03:45 AM.

Very Active Member StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
    I guess is a never ending controversy. Some are for USRPT some are gainst USRPT. But you will never come together guys because of the different philosophy you have.
    I am agaist USRPT because of one simple single reason: the lack of fun.
    For me is swimming all about passion and fun. I am not only swimming masters to reach some goals and achieve some (short lived) fame and glory...But is seems USRPT is teachig you how you get the ultimate key.
    It has a wrong psychological approach, a code and programm to develope some mechanical performance.
    Fail and repeat is like programming a code for robots with or and else.
    In my mind a human athlet is more than an IT-programm.
    Here we go again!

We don't do strict USRPT but do 3 sets a week that have similar approach to USRPT. We do 16x50s at 200 Race Pace on :50, 16x25s at 100 Race Pace on :35, and 16x100s on 1:50. Earlier in the season we do them on slower intervals but aspire to a 20second rest on everything except the 100s where we are using a 2:1 rest interval.

I don't get why you think USRPT is not fun. I imagine those doing strict USRPT would do them similar to the way we do our Race Pace sets. We do our Race Pace sets as groups within our team(grouped by similar timed swimmers) and there is a lot of banter within the groups. We have even given specific distances nicknames. For example one of our guys calls our Race Pace 100s The Rodeo. We have a guy who always fails 1 after those around him and his nickname is uno mas. In my mind the training method is not either exciting or boring. What makes whatever you are doing fun is the people around you and the attitude you have to the work your putting in.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll View Post

I don't get why you think USRPT is not fun..
    Because of the same stuff over and over again..First day: 20 or 30X50, 2nd day the same, 3rd day the same...
    Some day your mind get boring of this. You think only in terms of fail and repeat, fail and repeat.
    Like I said a binary code 0,1.
    Its not only your body, its more your mind what is going to crack you down someday.
    For me is more fun to have a choice to swim whatever I want, whenever I want.
    Its more fun to going into the gym, to swim 400m backstroke and to swim with fins and some other help...

I would add to your last sentence, "and the results." Swimming faster than expected, a breakthrough swim are really great ways to have fun. Stewart --- you, Glenn, Josh Davis and other Masters swimmers who have been using USRPT-based training and doing great with it seem to be having a ton of fun at meets, too.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll View Post
    Here we go again!

We don't do strict USRPT but do 3 sets a week that have similar approach to USRPT. We do 16x50s at 200 Race Pace on :50, 16x25s at 100 Race Pace on :35, and 16x100s on 1:50. Earlier in the season we do them on slower intervals but aspire to a 20second rest on everything except the 100s where we are using a 2:1 rest interval.

I don't get why you think USRPT is not fun. I imagine those doing strict USRPT would do them similar to the way we do our Race Pace sets. We do our Race Pace sets as groups within our team(grouped by similar timed swimmers) and there is a lot of banter within the groups. We have even given specific distances nicknames. For example one of our guys calls our Race Pace 100s The Rodeo. We have a guy who always fails 1 after those around him and his nickname is uno mas. In my mind the training method is not either exciting or boring. What makes whatever you are doing fun is the people around you and the attitude you have to the work your putting in.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
    Because of the same stuff over and over again..First day: 20 or 30X50, 2nd day the same, 3rd day the same...
    Some day your mind get boring of this. You think only in terms of fail and repeat, fail and repeat.
    Like I said a binary code 0,1.
    Its not only your body, its more your mind what is going to crack you down someday.
    For me is more fun to have a choice to swim whatever I want, whenever I want.
    Its more fun to going into the gym, to swim 400m backstroke and to swim with fins and some other help...
    As I have commented,I am not totally sold on USRPT, but I don't find those sets boring.I get bored easily,which is one reason I do race pace instead of "traditional" sets. 20X100 on the 1:45 descending is what I call boring,but some find that as a wonderful challenge. If one is training just USRPT and training for just one event,then I guess they would be doing the same sets over and over. If one is training for 3 events,that would be 3 kinds of sets. Training for the 400 IM would generate at least 4 kinds of sets.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by swimdoc View Post
    I would add to your last sentence, "and the results." Swimming faster than expected, a breakthrough swim are really great ways to have fun. Stewart --- you, Glenn, Josh Davis and other Masters swimmers who have been using USRPT-based training and doing great with it seem to be having a ton of fun at meets, too.
    Bruce,

You hit it the nail on the head! I have enjoyed this conversation because it has been respectful and positive. I refuse to get into a pissing match about USRPT anymore. I do what works for me, and you are right, I have tons of fun at meets...especially when I am swimming faster than the 30, 40 and 50 year olds!
    Glenn Gruber

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Bruce,

You hit it the nail on the head! I have enjoyed this conversation because it has been respectful and positive. I refuse to get into a pissing match about USRPT anymore. I do what works for me, and you are right, I have tons of fun at meets...especially when I am swimming faster than the 30, 40 and 50 year olds!
    No one has ever burned out when improving.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Rebecca Soni & Carolyn Burckle created
    a swimmer mentoring education service called:
    http://RiseEliteAthletes.com
    They plan to launch a series of articles in 2016

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...ain-the-brain/

P. Perform
    E. Expectations
    R. Routines
    F. Fears
    O. Obstacles
    R. Recreate
    M. Mind Chatter

Swim Faster Faster Index
    http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?4229-Ande-s-Swimming-Tips-Swimming-Faster-Faster&p=301338&viewfull=1#post301338
    Last edited by ande; January 10th, 2016 at 10:40 AM.

Participating Member

Rich,
    I am a 55 year old former distance swimmer and 400 IMer. In your terms, a classic "dog." I started back swimming this past July, intrigued by Josh Davis's article on USRPT. I thought, "who can't do 30 x 50 on a minute?" Obvious answer now is me. I swim a little faster than race pace and take a little more rest (which I rationalize by the thought that I train at 6,700 ft). I would have said like Allen that I was training the first 1/4 of the race over and over again, but had a surprising (at least to me) result. I recently swam a 200 free time trial and my 1st 50 was slower than I expected, and my last 3 50's were almost exactly the same pace, 2 seconds slower than the first. I had actually trained to even split my 200, even though I thought I was just doing sprints in workouts.

My question for you is, "is it possible for a dog to become more cat-like, and, if so, where would you start?" I was sort of shocked at that fact that I still went out so slowly in both my 100 and 200, given that I thought I had been doing nothing but "sprinting" for 5 months.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

HI Ron,
    I answered your question and asked you a few questions in Ask Ande
    Welcome to USMS and here. Hope to see you sometime.

Ande

Quote Originally Posted by RonCummins View Post
    Rich,
    I am a 55 year old former distance swimmer and 400 IMer. In your terms, a classic "dog." I started back swimming this past July, intrigued by Josh Davis's article on USRPT. I thought, "who can't do 30 x 50 on a minute?" Obvious answer now is me. I swim a little faster than race pace and take a little more rest (which I rationalize by the thought that I train at 6,700 ft). I would have said like Allen that I was training the first 1/4 of the race over and over again, but had a surprising (at least to me) result. I recently swam a 200 free time trial and my 1st 50 was slower than I expected, and my last 3 50's were almost exactly the same pace, 2 seconds slower than the first. I had actually trained to even split my 200, even though I thought I was just doing sprints in workouts.

My question for you is, "is it possible for a dog to become more cat-like, and, if so, where would you start?" I was sort of shocked at that fact that I still went out so slowly in both my 100 and 200, given that I thought I had been doing nothing but "sprinting" for 5 months.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

USRPT Works. USRPT helps swimmers Swim Faster Faster.

USRPT has worked incredibly well for many swimmers especially Michael Andrew. Michael currently holds and has broken more National Age Group Swimming Records than any swimmer ever. In February & March 2014 when Michael was 14 and about to age up in April, he went on a multi meet record breaking rampage many 13-14 Boys National Records fell. He's already broken many 15 - 16 National Records, so I'm curious if he's going to do the same this year right before he turns 17?

NATIONAL AGE GROUP RECORDS

ESPN recently featured Michael Andrew and Peter Andrew his coach / father on Episode of "Outside the Lines" titled "Making Waves."

OTL: Making Waves - ESPN Video - ESPN.com
    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14468516

Examining Michael Andrews' unique training method
    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14490973

Morning Swim Show: Michael Andrew Talking About Training And ADIZERO XVI

SFF TECH SUIT TIPS

Some coaches question the method and remain skeptical about USRPT:

"Is USRPT training by itself enough to fully develop a swimmers potential?
    or
    "Should coaches include other types of training along with USRPT to fully develop swimmers?"

My response is "Time will Tell and Times will tell."

Here's some USRPT sites, presentations, and articles

http://usrpt.com/

http://www.usrpt.info

http://www.swimmingscience.net/2013/...h-d-r-psy.html

http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/swim/bullets/56USRPT50m.pdf

http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/swim/bullets/47GUIDE.pdf

http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/swim/bullets/ultra40a.pdf

Here's a Link to a USRPT Thread on the USMS Forums

For Fun the big questions for Andrew are about the 2016 Olympic Trials
    "How is Michael going to do?" and
    "What events will he race?"
    because he's great at many events and made cuts in almost everything?

I suggest they at the schedule of events, consider the conflicts with the Evening Final & Semi Final Heats on Thursday, Friday & Saturday and pick priorities and cut back his schedule.

Here's my guess for Michael Andrew will race at along with
    guesses for what times make top 16, 8, & 2
    (plus 5th & 6th places for the 100 Free)

Sun, Jun 26
    Morning Men's 100m Breast Prelims (1:01 low should make top 16
    Evening Men's 100m Breast - Semifinal ( 1:00 low should make top 8 )

Mon, June 27
    Morning Men's 100m Back (maybe, might make semis but unlikely to final) (54 low makes top 16)
    Evening Men's 100m Breast - Final (one of his best shots) ( Think top 2 need to be 59 low )
    Evening Men's 100m Back - Semifinal ( 53 low to mid should make top 8 )

Tues, Jun 28
    Morning (no events)
    Evening Men's 100m Back - Final ( maybe if he makes it, but my guess is, he'll rest up for 100 FR prelims the next day & try to make semis)

Wed, Jun 29
    Morning Men's 100m Free (49.3 or 4 should makes semis
    Evening Men's 100m Free - Semifinal ( Can Andrew throw down with the big boys and make finals? There's a lot of great guys )
    Think it's going to take 48.7 or 8 to make finals

Thu, Jun 30
    Morning Men's 200m IM (2:00 mid should make top 16, Andrew's been 1:59
    Evening Men's 100m Free - Final If Andrew makes it. Competition is thick in this event. Give Nathan Adrian a slot.
    ( 48.5 or 6 should make top 4, 48.6 or 7 for top 6, there's a question whether US will take 5th and 6th slots or not, if they go they have to swim it in the Olympics. 48.8 made it in 2012 because Locthe and Phelps didn't race in finals, this time Phelps might swim the 100 Fr in finals at trials. )
    Evening Men's 200m IM - Semifinal ( is a bottleneck for Michael all that separates these 2 events are the Women's 200m Breast - Semifinal

Fri, Jul 1
    (Could be his most difficult day, Michael has an impressive 50 FR. Who knows how much he can improve on his 22.3 time Aug 2015 time? But it's before the 200 IM final, so if he's racing in the 200 IM final, my guess is he'll bail from the 50 Free semifinal, unless he drops a chunk of time like a 21.7 or better in prelims. The 100 Fly semi final is shortly after the 200 IM final so if he puts forth a crushing effort in the 200 IM, he could struggle in the 100 fly.
    So I'd look for him to either do the 200 IM final or the 50 & 100 Fly Semi Finals, with the 50 & 100 being the more likely scenario.
    Phelps and Lochte are tough to challenge in the 200 IM. They've both been 1:54's.
    Morning Men's 50m Free (22 low should make top 16)
    Morning Men's 100m Fly ( 52 mid should make top 16 ) Andrew should have no problem making top 16.
    Evening Men's 50m Free - Semifinal (21.9 to 22.0 should make top 8)
    Evening Men's 200m IM - Final ( I think it'll take a 1:54 something to make top 2 maybe 1:55 )
    Evening Men's 100m Fly - Semifinal (look for 51.6 or 7 to make top 8)

Saturday, July 2
    Morning (no events)
    Evening Men's 100m Fly - Final (everybody is racing for 2nd, Phelps is likely to dominate, 50.6 or 7 )
    Evening Men's 50m Free - Final (if he makes it, but only the Womens 800 Free separate the 100 fly from the 50 Free. Look for 21.3 or 4 to make top 2 )

Sunday, July 3
    No events

Michael Andrew's LCM Time progression Events and best times at ages 16, 15, & 14

50 FR 16 22.34; 15 22.82; 14 23.19

100 FR 16 50.21 15 51.24 14 51.30

100 BK 16 54.74; 15 55.73; 14 56.83 (but his 25.1 50 back from JR worlds, hints he's capable of a 53

100 BR 16 1:00.68 1:00.68; 15 1:01.67; 14 1:03.83 ( seems to be his most compelling time progression, can he drop to 59 low by June?

100 FL 16 52.57; 15 53.46; 14 54.59 ( If he can drop another second, he's in the game )

200 IM 16 1:59.86; 15 2:03.53; 14 2:04.13 ( if he drops this year like he did last year, he might go 1:55 or 6 )

Lastly Rushall recommends no weight training for swimmers and it is my understanding that Michael Andrew has never lifted weights.
    Is that a mistake?
    Do swimmers need weight training to maximize their speed and strength potential?

Swim Faster Faster Index
    Last edited by ande; January 14th, 2016 at 12:12 PM.

Who will finally put Phelps out of commission at the 2016 Olympic Trials and prevent him from making the 2016 team once and for all? Conger or Andrews?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BraunMan View Post
    Who will finally put Phelps out of commission at the 2016 Olympic Trials and prevent him from making the 2016 team once and for all? Conger or Andrews?
    NO ONE. Michael WILL make the 2016 team, unless something goes real wrong. Phelps was born on June 30, 1985, he's 30 and will only be 31 at the Olympics. He said he's going to retire after 2016, but if he wanted to and properly trained, he could probably make the 2020 team (at age 35) & the 2024 team (at age 39) don't think he could make the 2028 team at age 43. In masters we've seen men and women swim very fast into their 40's. I'm not sure if anyone's ever trained in swimming at an ultra elite level the entire time from their 20's until their 40's. Several have taken breaks and had comebacks.

Probably no one will beat Phelps at the 2016 US Olympic trials, but he could get beaten in certain races if he had a bad race or if someone or two drastically improved.

The person with the best chance of beating Phelps at trials is Ryan Lochte in the 200 IM. There are several swimmers who could possibly beat Phelps but they have to drastically improve and Phelps just needs to be close to the same times he did at the 2015 Nationals in San Antonio.

Phelps vs Andrews
    100 fly 50.4 vs 52.5
    200 IM 1:54 vs 1:59

Phelps vs Conger
    100 FL 50.4 vs 51.3
    200 FL 1:52.94 vs 1:54.54

At the US Olympic trials, Phelps is likely to race the 100 & 200 Freestyle, the 100 & 200 Butterfly and the 200 IM. Maybe the 100 & 200 BK. At past Olympic Trials Phelps swam the 100 Free in prelims to post a time then scratched semis and finals. In 2012 he won the 200 Free at trials then decided to scratch from the event at the Olympics, bumping Lochte to 1st & Berens to 2nd & Davis Tarwater to 6th.
    At trials, I'm certain Phelps will race finals in the 100 FL, 200 FL & 200 IM. Maybe the 100 or 200 FR but he'll probably just swim prelims and post a time. Also because he's so much faster, he can cruise prelims and semis and still advance. He's probably focused on events he has a good chance to win in Rio, Bowman is considering the most sensible Schedule of events at trials

2020 will be a different story. Phelps should really be and stay retired.

Trials Results

We will see.

Swim Faster Faster Index
    Last edited by ande; July 15th, 2016 at 12:11 PM.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Today I had the privilege to sit on deck & be a fly on the wall for more than an hour as Eddie Reese & Wayne Goldsmith talked about how to swim faster faster, fascinating.
    ( notes to follow )
    In the meantime here's a YouTube of Wayne
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xQI9yxR0D88

Swim Faster Faster Index
    Last edited by ande; July 15th, 2016 at 12:12 PM.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Consider the Order of Events

Swimmers who race a narrow range of events are lucky when it comes to entering meets. They have a few primary races and they are usually well spaced apart in the meet schedules. But swimmers who are great at several different races are likely to face a challenges.

Let’s look at the 2016 US Olympic Trials Schedule. The order of events is the same as it will be at the Olympics except there aren't any Relays at trials. The stakes are high, only 1st & 2nd make Team USA, except for the 100 & 200 Freestyles where the tradition is 1st through 6th make team USA. 4 relay members and 2 alternates, but also know anyone on a country's Olympic Squad is eligible to be considered for Relays, even if they didn't qualify in that event. But those who qualify for an event must swim that event at the Olympics. Teams can also change out relay members between Prelims and Finals provided the Prelim team placed in the top 8 and qualified for finals.

Swimmers who focus on 1 stroke or 1 category of events will be fine. But swimmers who are great at several events, must pay attention to the schedule and may have some hard decisions to make. The best idea is provide yourself with as much rest as possible between events. So it's smart to enter events where you race then get enough rest before your next event.

Schedule / RESULTS / Order of Events
    Prelims begin 10 a.m. CDT;
    Finals begin 6:45 p.m. CDT

Schedule

SUNDAY, June 26
    Men's 400m IM
    Women's 100m Fly
    Men's 400m Free
    Women's 400m IM
    Men's 100m Breast

Sunday, June 26
    Men's 400m IM - Final
    Women's 100m Fly - Semifinal
    Men's 400m Free - Final
    Women's 400m IM - Final
    Men's 100m Breast - Semifinal

Monday, June 27
    Women's 100m Back
    Men's 200m Free
    Women's 100m Breast
    Men's 100m Back
    Women's 400m Free

Monday, June 27
    Women's 100m Fly - Final
    Men's 200m Free - Semifinal
    Women's 100m Breast - Semifinal
    Men's 100m Breast - Final
    Women's 400m Free - Final
    Men's 100m Back - Semifinal
    Women's 100m Back - Semifinal

Tuesday, June 28
    Women's 200m Free
    Men's 200m Fly
    Women's 200m IM

Tuesday, June 28
    Women's 200m Free - Semifinal
    Men's 200m Free - Final
    Women's 100m Back - Final
    Men's 100m Back - Final
    Women's 100m Breast - Final
    Men's 200m Fly - Semifinal
    Women's 200m IM -- Semifinal

Wednesday, June 29
    Men's 100m Free
    Women's 200m Fly
    Men's 200m Breast

Wednesday, June 29
    Men's 100m Free - Semifinal
    Women's 200m Free - Final
    Men's 200m Fly - Final
    Women's 200m Fly - Semifinal
    Men's 200m Breast - Semifinal
    Women's 200m IM - Final

Thursday, June 30
    Women's 100m Free
    Men's 200m Back
    Women's 200m Breast
    Men's 200m IM

Thursday, June 30
    Men's 200m Breast - Final
    Women's 100m Free - Semifinal
    Men's 200m Back - Semifinal
    Women's 200m Fly - Final
    Men's 100m Free - Final
    Women's 200m Breast - Semifinal
    Men's 200m IM - Semifinal

Friday, July 1
    Men's 50m Free
    Women's 800m Free
    Men's 100m Fly
    Women's 200m Back

Friday, July 1
    Men's 50m Free - Semifinal
    Women's 200m Breast - Final
    Men's 200m Back - Final
    Women's 200m Back - Semifinal
    Men's 200m IM - Final
    Women's 100m Free - Final
    Men's 100m Fly - Semifinal

Saturday, July 2
    Women's 50m Free
    Men's 1500m Free

Saturday, July 2
    Women's 200m Back - Final
    Men's 100m Fly - Final
    Women's 800m Free - Final
    Men's 50m Free - Final
    Women's 50m Free - Semifinal

Sunday, July 3
    No Preliminaries

Sunday, July 3
    Women's 50m Free - Final
    Men's 1500m Free - Final

Trials is a huge event and everyone will get plenty of rest between prelim events. There's just 1 pool and there will be many prelim heats in each event. It’s no problem for many to race 2 or even 3 events in prelims. So when we look at the order of events at Trials, we see there are many conflicts in the evening schedule when swimmers race in the Finals and Semi Finals. Some might choose to focus on a single event and drop another event and some might dare to double where they will either encounter victory or trouble. This will make trials more exciting.

Day 1 SUNDAY, June 26
    Men's 400m IM - Final
    Women's 100m Fly - Semifinal
    Men's 400m Free - Final
    Women's 400m IM - Final
    Men's 100m Breast - Semifinal
    Day 1 The first conflict is e Mens 400 FR and the Mens 400 IM. Swimmers will pick one or the other. No one with a chance to make Team USA will race both, they're just too close together. There might be a few who double the 400 IM final and the 100 BR Semi.

Day 2 Monday, June 27
    Women's 100m Fly - Final
    Men's 200m Free - Semifinal
    Women's 100m Breast - Semifinal
    Men's 100m Breast - Final
    Women's 400m Free - Final
    Men's 100m Back - Semifinal
    Women's 100m Back - Semifinal
    Day 2 has potential conflicts but there's probably no one with a legitimate shot who will be affected. The Women 100 FL Final and 100 BR semifinal are close but there's probably no one in the 100 FL final who will race the 100 BR semi final. There could be a male in the 200 FR semifinal and the 100 BK semifinal but probably not.

DAY 3 Tuesday, June 28
    Women's 200m Free - Semifinal
    Men's 200m Free - Final
    Women's 100m Back - Final
    Men's 100m Back - Final
    Women's 100m Breast - Final
    Men's 200m Fly - Semifinal
    Women's 200m IM -- Semifinal

Day 3 poses the first serious conflicts the Women's 200m Free - Semifinal is just 1 event before the Women's 100m Back - Final. This is a conflict for Missy Franklin, if she races the 200 FR, there's a chance lingering race fatigue could cause her to NOT qualify for the 100 BK FINAL. Will she race both? She can cruise the 200 FR semi but she runs the risk of not qualifying in the 100 BK.
    The Women's 100 BR - Final & Women's 200m IM -- Semifinal is another conflict but I don't think anyone in the 100 BR Final will race the 200 IM Semi. The Men's 200m Free - Final & Men's 200m Fly - Semifinal is a minor conflict because there's 3 events between them. This could affect Michael Phelps and Jack Conger.

Day 4 Wednesday, June 29
    Men's 100m Free - Semifinal
    Women's 200m Free - Final
    Men's 200m Fly - Final
    Women's 200m Fly - Semifinal
    Men's 200m Breast - Semifinal
    Women's 200m IM - Final
    Day 4 presents several conflicts, the biggest is the Men's 100m Free - Semifinal & the Men's 200m Fly - Final. Both Phelps and Conger could easily qualify for the 100 FR semifinals. They will race in prelims to post a time then scratch from semifinals to focus on the 200 FL There's also potential conflicts in the Women's schedule for anyone who might double the 200m Free - Final with the Women's 200m Fly - Semifinal or the Women's 200m IM - Final.

DAY 5 Thursday, June 30
    Men's 200m Breast - Final
    Women's 100m Free - Semifinal
    Men's 200m Back - Semifinal
    Women's 200m Fly - Final
    Men's 100m Free - Final
    Women's 200m Breast - Semifinal
    Men's 200m IM - Semifinal

Day 5 Poses some challenges on the men's side, minor is Men's 200m Breast - Final with the Men's 200m IM - Semifinal. Significant ones are for those who dare to double the Men's 200m Back - Semifinal and the Men's 100m Free - Final. (This might affect Murphy or Grevers, my guess is if Grevers qualifies for the 100 FR Finals, he will race it and not do the 200 BK semis. Murphy will prioritize the 200 BK. The next conflict is the Men's 100m Free Final with the Men's 200m IM Semifinal. This is a serious conflict and you probably won't see Phelps or Lochte race the 100 FR final, so they can focus on the IM, but if David Nolan qualifies for the 100 FR Final in the semis, he should race the 100 FR and drop the 200 IM. In 2012 Lochte doubled the 200 BK semifinal and the 200 IM semi Final he could do it again but he faces some big challenges in the finals.

DAY 6 Friday, July 1
    Men's 50m Free - Semifinal
    Women's 200m Breast - Final
    Men's 200m Back - Final
    Women's 200m Back - Semifinal
    Men's 200m IM - Final
    Women's 100m Free - Final
    Men's 100m Fly - Semifinal
    DAY 6 poses some serious challenges for both men and women. For men the Men's 200m Back Final and the Men's 200m IM Final, are the most dangerous double of the meet. Will Lochte dare this double like he did in 2012? In 2012 he was so dominant over 3rd place he got away with it. 2016 is different, Ryan is 4 years older, If he does both, race fatigue from his 200 BK could affect his 200 IM and if someone make a big improvement among Dwyer, Clary, Prenot Licon, Nolan or Kalisz, Lochte risks getting beaten. Currently Lochte is ranked 4th in the 200 BK with Clary, Murphy and Pebley ahead of him. My vote is for Ryan only race the 200 IM Final where he is more dominant. The women’s Women's 200m Back – Semifinal and Women's 100m Free – Final poses a challenge for Missy Franklin, she can cruise the 200 BK to make top 8, but the womens 100 FR Final is probably going to require 52 high / 53 low for top 2 and maybe 53 mid to high for top 6. Simone Manuel and Dana Vollmer pose the biggest threats for top 2 and there’s a lot of fast women who could be in the 100 free finals. Michael Phelps biggest challenge of the meet is the 200 IM Final followed by the 100 FL semifinal. He has to race both and I’m certain he can cruise his way through the 100 FL semis, Lochte might also elect to race the 200 IM & the 100 FL. There could be a few guys who race the 50 free semi and 100 FL semi but they have plenty of time to recover, best chance is Dressel.

DAY 7 Saturday, July 2
    Women's 200m Back - Final
    Men's 100m Fly - Final
    Women's 800m Free - Final
    Men's 50m Free - Final
    Women's 50m Free - Semifinal
    Day 7 may pose a challenge for anyone who’s in the 100 FL final and the 50 FR final, maybe the only one might be Caeleb Dressel. I bet he picks the 50 FR and steers clear of FL, he should hit his 50 FR freash, but the 2 are separated by the Katie Ledecky Show (Women’s 800 FR Final ) which would give him the most rest of any back to back double.

Sunday, July 3
    Women's 50m Free - Final
    Men's 1500m Free - Final
    Day 8 poses no conflicts for the athletes, except for where should we go party after the meet and for those who are single, what cute male or female wants to flirt?

Picking the correct competition schedule can definitely help you swim faster faster and could seriously influence whether you make or miss your goal.

Swim Faster Faster Index
    Last edited by ande; July 15th, 2016 at 12:13 PM.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Did you notice that both Katie Ledecky & the men's 1500 Gold medalist from Italy Gregorio Paltrieri kick in a similar manner during the pacing phase of their distance races? They both keep their right legs pretty straight & still & do larger kicks with their left legs.
    Is their method superior or idiosyncratic? They switch to a 6 beat kick in the last part of their races.
    (this video is from her 800 FR at the 2016 Olympics)

https://www.facebook.com/anderasmuss...08021446663460
    Last edited by ande; August 15th, 2016 at 01:14 PM.

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    Did you notice that both Katie Ledecky & the men's 1500 Gold medalist from Italy Gregorio Paltrieri kick in a similar manner during the pacing phase of their distance races? They both keep their right legs pretty straight & still & do larger kicks with their left legs.
    Is their method superior or idiosyncratic? They switch to a 6 beat kick in the last part of their races.
    (this video is from her 800 FR at the 2016 Olympics)

https://www.facebook.com/anderasmuss...08021446663460

I think it is just balancing their stroke while conserving energy. Not sure about the Italiano, but Ledecky has a loping stroke which would seem to call for an unbalanced kick in energy conservation mode.
    “I love the smell of neoprene in the morning!”

-Dave Stark

Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101